“Stunning”

Ranked #17 of 76 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Perfect hotel, beautiful settings and class hotel. Room was clean, tidy and comfortable, shower for 2 as well! Pools are simply the best. Free iced water served by pool staff with no bother. Only grip is the carpark distance to the lobby, it's quite a way. Close by outlets with plenty of shops and restaurants. Breakfast was lovely, staff very attentive.
What annoyed me the most was having to wait a full Callander month to get my $100 deposit back!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,551)

Reviewed 22 June 2014

I am a Starwood Gold member and saw an offer for a 4day 3night stay for USD359 offer on SPG.com at this resort. I booked the place 15minutes before the offer ended on 30th April 2014 and stayed from 10th - 14th June 2014 which also nabbed me a 5000 Starwood points and awesome time in Phoenix and Scottsdale too.

Below is my review:-

Frontdesk / Staff
- the staff were excellent from the frontdesk to the concierge (Kathryn Locke was cute) and the valet team was nice too. Of course they were nice especially when they saw a young man trotting in a Hertz Penske Mustang GT.
- I did not bring my Tripadvisor badge (i lost them actually) because had i did, I would have pinned them on some of the staff here
- notwithstanding their nationalities, many of them were Mexicans, I would say they were a good team of nice people
- Jim at Nellie's restaurant downstairs also were chatty and very nice to offer tips and insights on areas to visit

Location
- Westin Kierland is located in the prime and wealthy neighborhood of Scottsdale. You can find the Scottsdale Quarter and Kierland Commons next to each other and the only thing in common you will find in these locations are boutiques and expensive cars. You can reach these places by foot or the complimentary shuttle service provided by the resort.
- The resort is also nicely located to nearby Trader Joe's and Walmart and other shopping areas within driving distance. No one in the right mind would think about going to a grocery store when you are staying at luxurious resort and spa such as the Westin Kierland but hey, I'm a Muslim and I gotta cook food to stick to my religious duties and fitness regime.
- there were ample parking available both for valet parking (usd27 a nite) and public parking both of which would require your car to be soaked under the hot Arizona sun and 3-4 minutes walk from the front entrance of the resort.

Services / Features
- the resort had a lot of things to offer. Of course the main theme is the acres of golf course where the world large is an understatement. There are several swimming pools and a 24hour lazy river (I think that's what they call it). They offer surfing lessons and golfing lessons for a small fee.
- the gift shop featured items which were not expensive despite it being in a resort.
- I didnt try the restaurants but I did have breakfast at Nellie's using my Starwood Green Choice coupons and I thought they had really good quality offerings.
- the gym was 24hours and was fully equipped although I didn't fancy some of the machines they have. It felt like cold winter in there one time and I had to ask the engineering team to increase the temperature.
- oh they even have live snakes in the center atrium of the lobby (although as an animal person, it was saddening to see these exotic creatures in small entrapments) and they also featured a scotch library.

Timeshare talk
- I knew they were going to have to do this thing. I just indulged in Jon talking about the timeshare thing but hey they actually gave you a USD100 Visa gift card whether or not you join Starwood Vacation Network.
- Not gonna talk more about this because this option is entirely up to the visitors.

Room
- internet was blazing fast although it was not free. There were many plug points and the bed was plush and the air-conditioner worked wonderfully well although I preferred to open the sliding balcony door to let fresh air in because I used my electronic cooker...lol
- during the last nite of my stay, I noticed the water turned slightly grey from the pipes but I didnt make any complain as it didnt smell or anything. I wonder what it was.
- the ice machines were aplenty and they had two fridges, TWO freaking refrigerators. served me well throughout my whole stay although it could have been a lot cooler.
- the TV was nice with some HD and SD channels. Like other Starwood hotels, they have pay per view stuff which of course weren't really my thing. Also, like other Starwood hotels, they have both the normal bins and recycling bins too.
- the resort is filled with activities day and night and sometimes you can hear loud music being played at the pools. This did not bother me but others may consider it annoying.

Conclusion
- to be honest, I was blown away by Westin Kierland. I loved the place, staff, the location, and everything about it.
- i will come back to Scottsdale in one year or two and will definitely consider Westin Kierland or maybe the Phoenician Villas.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Muzzil
WestinKierland, Communications Team at The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for being a loyal member of the Starwood Preferred Guest Program. We truly value your business and are thankful that you elected to stay with us during your recent trip to Arizona.

We would also like to thank you for posting a detailed review about your visit. We know that many individuals review TripAdvisor prior to making their travel arrangements and we appreciate your positive remarks and recommendation.

Please let us know when you plan a return visit to Scottsdale. We would love the opportunity to welcome you back as our guest.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

This resort is second to none friendly staff who are very helpful. Courtesy shuttle from resort to the Quarter all day and evening. Iced jugs of water provided poolside during the day and the restaurants are lovely

Room Tip: Building 3 has lovely views of golf course and are quiet
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
WestinKierland, Communications Team at The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear Linda,
We are delighted to hear that you had a nice time on your recent stay and found our staff so friendly and helpful! We will make sure to share your comments on with our entire management team. It sounds like you were able to take advantage of everything we have to offer at the Resort including our close proximity to the Kierland Commons and Scottsdale Quarter shopping areas and look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back real soon!

Reviewed 20 June 2014

In my point of view if you're going to stay in a hotel most important is customer service and how they value and treat you.. After all you are the one paying for a good vaca stay! Well at kierland it was just all zero. They sent a valet person to the room knocking saying it was "management" .. Theyre are not professional whatsoever They're cleanliness wasn't great! And everything you ask front desk or anyone in the hotel they treat you with disgust! Trust me I've travelled worldwide and I know hotel service!

• Stayed: June 2014
4  Thank Lawfe

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback in regard to your recent visit to The Westin Kierland Villas. We regret to hear that you did not enjoy your experience and would love the opportunity to speak with you directly to discuss the details of your stay. We invite you to send your contact information to Feedback@KierlandResort.com so that we can have a member of the Villas management team personally follow up with you.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

We arrived for a one night stay at this property. We were booked for suite near the pool and opted for a room on the club floor. The room had a beautiful view of the golf course. The club lounge was great and had a lot of great snack choices.

The pool was not very crowded and a bit cold due to the weather and the staff and facilities were also great.

All in all it was a good stay and we look forward to heading back soon. Thanks!

Room Tip: Stay in the main tower with a golf course view
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
WestinKierland, Communications at The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear Gregg,
We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. Despite being here for just one night, it sounds like you were able to take advantage of some of the wonderful Resort amenities. Thank you very much for your comments about the staff being great as every associate's goal is to provide the best possible customer service experience! We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future, when you have a chance to stay for more than one night of course!

Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

What can you say about westin. It's beautiful. Everyone is amazing. We love it we will be back. This is an amazing location and a beautiful resort. The pools are spectacular and the grounds are the same.

• Stayed: April 2014

Dear Jessie,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent visit to The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay and hope that you experienced the perfect balance of relaxation and FUN during your time with us.

Please let us know if you plan a return visit. We welcome the opportunity to have you back as our guest.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

First off the hotel, pools, amenities and grounds are spectacular. Our concern is simply cleanliness. We checked into our first room and were so excited because it's our honeymoon, only to find dirty glasses in the room along with a half consumed water bottle and shampoo under the tv stand. We called service express and set up a room move.

We got our items as we hadn't unpacked much and opened the door to room service who had a nice bottle of champagne for us! Very nice touch. We waited and he radioed the bell team member for his 20 and we met him in the elevator foyer on the 6th floor. It was about 15 minutes and the room service attendant who was excellent walked us to the new room with the welcome amenity. We were moved to a room on the 3rd floor, literally furthest from the elevator. Not a big deal. Room was nice and had an end view of the swimming pools which was nice along with a 2 seater couch for lounging.

My fiancé and I then went out for the day and forgot about the small blimp in our arrival experience. We used the pools, had dinner, bought chocolate covered strawberries in the lobby and returned to our room. As we had been travelling since 5am and it was now 10pm my wife got ready for bed and pulled the sheets open. She found 8-10 hairs in the sheets of varied lengths. This wasn't all, the fridge was overheating and making a very loud humming noise.

We understand that mistakes happen, especially since I work for a large branded hotel myself in a senior management role but in a second room this was unacceptable. So now here we were embarrassed but asking for another room. We spoke with the manager who was very kind with my wife and offered us a new room. This time we waited 40 minutes until 11:25pm for a bell person to arrive. He was kind but took so long to arrive. He walked us to the 4th floor where we were promised a golf course view which was almost not existent from this much smaller room right beside the ice machine.

Upon entering the new room both the bell person and I noticed another persons key on the entrance vanity and also the complimentary water was missing. He said that was weird, I tipped him and he left.

I went to the front desk just now to drop off the mystery key and was told oh strange.

With the new room we were offered a credit for dinner which was generous and wonderful but the cleanliness is a serious problem. If a guest is moved 2 times, the manager needs to check the new room prior to moving the guest so that the key and missing water would have been caught. Finally the drain stopper in the bathtub was in the middle of the tub as well!

This is my first trip advisor comment as I have never been so tired and confused about a hotels service and cleanliness standards and felt its important to share this with potential travellers.

Make sure you pull back your sheets and check your room closely if you decide to stay here. We have 5 nights here and if it wasn't pre paid I would move hotels.

Unhappy honeymoon guests in 4049

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Hotelier007Vancouver

Dear Guest,
First of all, congratulations on your recent wedding and thank you for choosing to take your honeymoon at The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa. Once again from everyone at the Resort, we would like to extend our sincerest apologies for the challenges you and your wife encountered at the beginning of your stay. We understand you have spoken with members of our management team and we trust that everything has been resolved to your satisfaction. If there is ever anything else we can assist you with, please do not hesitate to contact us directly at tripadvisor@kierlandresort.com.