“Very nice resort”

Ranked #17 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Just there for a long weekend but the resort is very nice and the staff very nice and helpful. We had an excellent dinner at the Deseo restaurant there and the pools are definitely the main attraction (especially when it's 108 degrees out!). Will go back some day if for no other reason than to try out one of the beautiful golf courses there!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
WestinKierland, Communications Team at The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear Nick,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay and provide some valuable feedback to fellow travelers. We are happy to hear that you had a nice stay and found the staff to be helpful. Excellent choice to dine in our signature restaurant deseo as it truly is a hidden gem and provides diners with an exceptional culinary experience! We look forward to welcoming you back in the future and if there is ever anything we can help you with, especially setting up that tee time, please do not hesitate to reach out to us at tripadvisor@kierlandresort.com.

There are newer reviews for The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa

Reviewed 23 June 2014

There are several, very good choices in this particular part of Scottsdale, but I decided to give the Westin Kierland a try. I was not disappointed. The grounds and hotel are classy and newer. You can see that the staff does a great job of keeping it up to standards. I was there on business, but the hotel would be great for families. I had a King room that was very spacious, quiet, and well-appointed. The staff is very friendly and professional. If you want to eat off-property, there are some great choices within walking distance (5-10 minutes depending on where your room is). I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest,
We are so happy to hear that you were not disappointed when deciding to give us a try for your recent business trip! We know you have many choices and appreciate you deciding to stay with us and provide some feedback from your stay. It sounds like despite being here for business, you still had some time to get out and explore the Resort and all of the wonderful amenities available to every guest. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future, when here for pleasure of course!

Reviewed 23 June 2014

We have gone the last two memorial day weekends to meet up with friends from california. The grounds are spacious and lovely. Love the lazy river, flo rider, adult pool by the spa. Front desk staff always friendly, valet and shuttle friendly and efficient. Very family friendly with tons of fun activities over the holiday weekend. Loved the heavenly bed and bedding, very comfortable. The rooms were clean, enjoyed the rain shower, nice desert views, loved the bagpipes at sunset each night, room service was quick, food was hot and very good.

Things that could be improved:
Extremely crowded on memorial day weekend. Not enough loungers or umbrellas for guests and each guest is allowed to bring a handful of nonguest friends. Therefore paying guests had a hard time finding pool loungers taken up by families that were not even paying guests and the lazy river can get so crowded it is literally wall to wall people. Not enjoyable. The adult only pool became the overflow pool so no escape from the family pools madness there.

The spa was a welcome retreat from the hot sun and crowds, however we noted the same unused cups, trash, and used towels left in the same places as they were when we visited 3 hours prior. Quite a few things had not been replenished for guests. Last year I spent a lot of hard earned money in that spa only to have a poor experience. Disappointing.

If more attention had been paid to guests experience such as in the spa and less crowds (as mentioned, many of whom were not even paying guests) so the amenities could be enjoyed and not just used, it would have been great. I'm sure it is a very enjoyable stay when not on a major holiday. I would definitely recommend to avoid at those times.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
WestinKierland, Communications Team at The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for being a return visitor to The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa. Winning the loyalty of a guest is a high achievement and we are honored to have earned yours. We truly appreciate your business and repeated stays at our Resort.

Memorial Weekend is an especially busy time of year at our pool facilities and even more so with the new addition of the Kierland FlowRider. However, when executed correctly, a large number of guests should not have had a negative impact on your stay. Customer service is one of our top priorities and we apologize that we did not provide an outstanding experience. We strive to provide experiences that leave our guests feeling relaxed and renewed and are truly sorry that this was not what you encountered during your time with us.

Please let us know if you plan another visit. We would love the opportunity to welcome you back as our guest and showcase the high service level we pride ourselves upon.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Perfect hotel, beautiful settings and class hotel. Room was clean, tidy and comfortable, shower for 2 as well! Pools are simply the best. Free iced water served by pool staff with no bother. Only grip is the carpark distance to the lobby, it's quite a way. Close by outlets with plenty of shops and restaurants. Breakfast was lovely, staff very attentive.
What annoyed me the most was having to wait a full Callander month to get my $100 deposit back!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I am a Starwood Gold member and saw an offer for a 4day 3night stay for USD359 offer on SPG.com at this resort. I booked the place 15minutes before the offer ended on 30th April 2014 and stayed from 10th - 14th June 2014 which also nabbed me a 5000 Starwood points and awesome time in Phoenix and Scottsdale too.

Below is my review:-

Frontdesk / Staff
- the staff were excellent from the frontdesk to the concierge (Kathryn Locke was cute) and the valet team was nice too. Of course they were nice especially when they saw a young man trotting in a Hertz Penske Mustang GT.
- I did not bring my Tripadvisor badge (i lost them actually) because had i did, I would have pinned them on some of the staff here
- notwithstanding their nationalities, many of them were Mexicans, I would say they were a good team of nice people
- Jim at Nellie's restaurant downstairs also were chatty and very nice to offer tips and insights on areas to visit

Location
- Westin Kierland is located in the prime and wealthy neighborhood of Scottsdale. You can find the Scottsdale Quarter and Kierland Commons next to each other and the only thing in common you will find in these locations are boutiques and expensive cars. You can reach these places by foot or the complimentary shuttle service provided by the resort.
- The resort is also nicely located to nearby Trader Joe's and Walmart and other shopping areas within driving distance. No one in the right mind would think about going to a grocery store when you are staying at luxurious resort and spa such as the Westin Kierland but hey, I'm a Muslim and I gotta cook food to stick to my religious duties and fitness regime.
- there were ample parking available both for valet parking (usd27 a nite) and public parking both of which would require your car to be soaked under the hot Arizona sun and 3-4 minutes walk from the front entrance of the resort.

Services / Features
- the resort had a lot of things to offer. Of course the main theme is the acres of golf course where the world large is an understatement. There are several swimming pools and a 24hour lazy river (I think that's what they call it). They offer surfing lessons and golfing lessons for a small fee.
- the gift shop featured items which were not expensive despite it being in a resort.
- I didnt try the restaurants but I did have breakfast at Nellie's using my Starwood Green Choice coupons and I thought they had really good quality offerings.
- the gym was 24hours and was fully equipped although I didn't fancy some of the machines they have. It felt like cold winter in there one time and I had to ask the engineering team to increase the temperature.
- oh they even have live snakes in the center atrium of the lobby (although as an animal person, it was saddening to see these exotic creatures in small entrapments) and they also featured a scotch library.

Timeshare talk
- I knew they were going to have to do this thing. I just indulged in Jon talking about the timeshare thing but hey they actually gave you a USD100 Visa gift card whether or not you join Starwood Vacation Network.
- Not gonna talk more about this because this option is entirely up to the visitors.

Room
- internet was blazing fast although it was not free. There were many plug points and the bed was plush and the air-conditioner worked wonderfully well although I preferred to open the sliding balcony door to let fresh air in because I used my electronic cooker...lol
- during the last nite of my stay, I noticed the water turned slightly grey from the pipes but I didnt make any complain as it didnt smell or anything. I wonder what it was.
- the ice machines were aplenty and they had two fridges, TWO freaking refrigerators. served me well throughout my whole stay although it could have been a lot cooler.
- the TV was nice with some HD and SD channels. Like other Starwood hotels, they have pay per view stuff which of course weren't really my thing. Also, like other Starwood hotels, they have both the normal bins and recycling bins too.
- the resort is filled with activities day and night and sometimes you can hear loud music being played at the pools. This did not bother me but others may consider it annoying.

Conclusion
- to be honest, I was blown away by Westin Kierland. I loved the place, staff, the location, and everything about it.
- i will come back to Scottsdale in one year or two and will definitely consider Westin Kierland or maybe the Phoenician Villas.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Muzzil
WestinKierland, Communications Team at The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for being a loyal member of the Starwood Preferred Guest Program. We truly value your business and are thankful that you elected to stay with us during your recent trip to Arizona.

We would also like to thank you for posting a detailed review about your visit. We know that many individuals review TripAdvisor prior to making their travel arrangements and we appreciate your positive remarks and recommendation.

Please let us know when you plan a return visit to Scottsdale. We would love the opportunity to welcome you back as our guest.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

This resort is second to none friendly staff who are very helpful. Courtesy shuttle from resort to the Quarter all day and evening. Iced jugs of water provided poolside during the day and the restaurants are lovely

Room Tip: Building 3 has lovely views of golf course and are quiet
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Linda,
We are delighted to hear that you had a nice time on your recent stay and found our staff so friendly and helpful! We will make sure to share your comments on with our entire management team. It sounds like you were able to take advantage of everything we have to offer at the Resort including our close proximity to the Kierland Commons and Scottsdale Quarter shopping areas and look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back real soon!

Reviewed 20 June 2014

In my point of view if you're going to stay in a hotel most important is customer service and how they value and treat you.. After all you are the one paying for a good vaca stay! Well at kierland it was just all zero. They sent a valet person to the room knocking saying it was "management" .. Theyre are not professional whatsoever They're cleanliness wasn't great! And everything you ask front desk or anyone in the hotel they treat you with disgust! Trust me I've travelled worldwide and I know hotel service!

• Stayed: June 2014
4  Thank Lawfe

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback in regard to your recent visit to The Westin Kierland Villas. We regret to hear that you did not enjoy your experience and would love the opportunity to speak with you directly to discuss the details of your stay. We invite you to send your contact information to Feedback@KierlandResort.com so that we can have a member of the Villas management team personally follow up with you.