“Westin does it again! Amazing”

The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa
Ranked #17 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed 4 October 2010

After a 6 hour drive from San Diego my wife and I arrived at the Westin just after 10pm. We were greeted by a friendly valet staff who took our luggage and showed us to check in. Check in was smooth and we were upgraded to a 1bd suite on the 3rd floor. I paid with points and cash and thought this was a great deal, however I am a gold member so I usually do get upgrades. The hotel grounds are meticulously kept. Valet is very expensive at $27/night but there is free guest parking, which is really nice. The pool and the staff were excellent. Walt's and Weisers Saloon was just amazing. The drinks were great and the bar tender was very knowledgeable about scotches, whiskeys and ports. We had breakfast a couple of days at the cafe and it was very good...I highly recommend the steak and eggs. I asked for late check out and it wasn't an issue at all...although I ended up not needing it. My wife and I had an incredible stay and will be back again!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
WestinKierland, Public Relations Manager at The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2010

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the incredible feedback on your recent stay with us. We love hearing from our guests. We do hope you'll return to try our new Waltz and Weiser menu. We've changed the restaurant slightly to be a Whiskey Bar and Cantina and added in more whiskeys, ports, and of course, a taqueria. You'll really enjoy it and you may just need that late check out next time!

Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa.

Stephanie Dowling

Reviewed 26 September 2010

I stayed at the Westin for two nights this week for business. Upon returning home, I noticed that I was scratching my legs. I lifted my pant leg and found about a dozen bites all over my legs and ankles. I have heard news stories about the epidemic of bed bugs in hotels acrsoss the country and suspected that this might be the case. I went online to look up what bed bug bites look like and to determine the best way to prevent transferring bed bugs from the Westin into my home. The pictures and description of the bites were identical to what I have - no question in my mind that these are bed bugs!! Gross!!!
I just called the Westin to report the bed bugs and to encourage them to have my room cleaned and treated so that future guests are not exposed to this unpleasant experience. I was immediately transferred from the front desk operator to security??!!! He asked lots of questions... How do I know these are bed bugs? Did I open my screen door? NO Did I use the pool? NO Did I golf? NO, Where did I eat? HUH??? He wanted to see if I ate outside Did I go to a doctor - seriously... for bed bug bites??? - NO, NO, NO. I was there for business so spent majority of my time in meeting rooms. The securtiy agent informed me that the westin has had no confimed cases of bed bugs to date. I asked if he has read the ta reviews where other guests reported having bed bugs? He stated again that nothing has been confirmed - funny that is exactly what the Westin has posted on the other reviews. I felt like he did not believe my claims (would pictures suffice?) and treated me poorly. I was not asking for a refund, discounts on future trips... All I wanted was for them to be aware and to treat and clean this room to prevent bites on future guests. He has promised to investigate the rooms and call me with his finding. Based on my research on the internet - I told him that the investigation needs to occur at night with a flashlight as bed bugs are nocturnal and are usually not seen during the day - I am doubtful of how serious they wil process my complaint or what they will do to treat the room. Future guests beware - - still itching and scratching 2 days after checking out!!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
6  Thank strawberryblonde123
WestinKierland, General Manager at The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2010

Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with fellow travelers. I was very disappointed to hear of your experience with us not to mention your lingering negative perceptions. Thank you for reporting your concerns to our security team. Upon receiving your information, we followed our strict protocol and contacted a third party expert to inspect your room. We have now received their official findings and the room has been deemed clear of any and all pest activity including bed bugs. I'm very sorry to hear about your bug bites, but I feel 100% confident, they did not come from bed bug activity at The Westin Kierland Resort. I have shared these findings with you directly, but I also wanted to make sure to share them publicly as well. The team of experts who inspected the room has confirmed to us what we’ve previously reported: The Westin Kierland Resort has never had a confirmed case of bed bugs. A fact we are very proud of even though it's the subject of much media coverage and paranoia among today’s travelers, and rightfully so.

I also want to address the rest of your feedback. I am very sorry that you felt our security team did not handle your call with the compassion you were expecting given the situation. Please know that was not our intention and was because we take this matter extremely seriously. Our goal is to receive as much information on the situation prior to turning it over to the third party experts for their thorough investigation. I do apologize that we didn't express the requisite concern adequately. Please know we are deeply concerned about your experience and strive to provide a superior level of service every day. Your experience at our property means everything to us.

The global resurgence of bed bugs over the last five years is a widely-recognized problem. This problem has affected not only the hotel industry, but hospitals, college dormitories, theatres and private multiple dwellings, as well. It is suspected that this resurgence is a direct result of increased international travel, since bed bugs are easily transported in suitcases, purses and clothing, among other things.

To address this growing problem, Starwood Hotels and Resorts mandates an aggressive pest control policy, which includes regularly scheduled professional third party expert inspections and, if necessary, elimination protocols. We have also implemented a thorough training program for our housekeeping and maintenance personnel to assist in the early recognition of infestation. These standard procedures require that a room in which any guest who reports a potential concern be quarantined; it shall remain quarantined until a thorough inspection by a licensed and recognized professional elimination specialist can be conducted. We want to assure you that we have fully implemented the policy and protocols at our property. It is our expressed commitment to make every guest experience an enjoyable one.

The comfort, satisfaction and trust of our guest is the most important thing to us.

J. Bruce Lange
Managing Director
The Westin Kierland Resort

Reviewed 23 September 2010

This resort was EXCELLENT. My two kids and girlfriend stayed here twice this summer and are excited to do it again. There are activities for both adults and children all day long. We spent the day at the pool, played lawn chess and ended with watching Goonies at the pool.

We got a summer discount rate, which was a great value for what we experienced. The service in the hotel was excellent and the amenities were fantastic. The Family pool includes a lazy river and a water slide. There are activities all day long to enjoy. When you check in you will get the schedule. We stayed 4 days and never left the resort. We weren't nickle and dimed to death either.

The resort is next to some fantastic shopping and restaurants. It is within walking distance of the hotel.

If you are staying in the summer and you can find a rate between $100 and $150/night you are getting a great deal.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank DavidFancher
Reviewed 20 September 2010

We stayed at the Westin because my husband had a business meeting which was taking place over a couple of days. The hotel is very beautiful and the grounds are well kept. You can valet park for free until like 10PM, so if you dont want to pay for the valet you have to move your car by 10pm to the free parking lot. The lobby is very nice too, lots of things to see and do. We were meet by a very nice man who told us about the Mining Company where the kids could go to start their scavenger hunt. So, after checking in which we made our way down to the Mining company. The kids got this really cool lanyard with a book on it to go to the different places to get stamps and in return the received pins. Our kids loved it. Pools were awesome as well as the staff. The Phoenix zoo also came one day and showed animals to the kids. The only thing is that there are'nt very many places to eat inside the motel but the Kierland mall is a short walking distance with food places as well as lots of stores to shop at. Another tip is that after 10pm the adult pool is open to anyone, even kids they dont tell you this but yes the kids can go in there with you. Also, the bag pipe player was awesome, you can listen to him and also have smores if the weather permits. What is cool too is that these two things are on the kids scavenger hunt so you kill two birds with one stone. Overall an awesome stay, we will go back.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 September 2010

This resort is very beautiful. The moment you walk in you have beautiful views of the golf course and the design of the building is amazing. The service here is great! Everyone was very friendly and accommodating. The only issue I had was that I had received bed bug bites when I woke up!!! I understand that this hotel attracts a lot of world wide travelers and what not, so bed bugs are expected. However, there should be some action taken to remove them!!!!

Otherwise, beautiful place!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank Stuffy1987
WestinKierland, Public Relations Manager at The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2010

To date, we at The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa have had no confirmed cases of bed bugs at our property in the eight years we’ve been in business. Our guests are of our utmost concern and providing them with comfort, satisfaction and trust is very important to us. While we are aware of this claim, we are very happy to report that the case was fully investigated following Starwood’s mandates and our aggressive pest control policies. The investigation was conducted by a third party who deemed our property free of any pest activity. We are in the process of reaching out to this guest to make them aware of the investigation’s findings. We are proud to share that we have in place a thorough training program for our housekeeping and maintenance personnel to assist in the early recognition of infestation and our teams do scheduled checks of each room. We have fully implemented policies and protocols at our property and it’s our commitment to make every guest experience an enjoyable one.

Reviewed 19 September 2010

We spent 3 nights at the Kierland and from the moment we drove up we were treated like V.I.P.'s. The resort staff is extremely helpful and friendly from the valet to front desk, housekeeping, restaurant servers and pool attendants. The room we had was very spacious and very well appointed. The food at all the restaurants was excellent, but a special mention should go the their restaurant "Deseo" which was exceptional both in service and food. Everything we had was fresh and delicious. The desserts were out of this world!. Be sure to have the chocolate cigar. The resort is ideal for relaxing and the large pool with its lazy river is great for both kids and adults. There is even a 24 hr Adults only pool! I will make this a yearly destination for R&R.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 September 2010

We stayed in the 2 bedroom timeshare. Our party was of 9 people. The rooms were enough for all of us and the resort included a roll away bed. No complaints from us. The staff was very helpful. We used the pool in the main hotel most of the time since the kids wanted to go on the lazy river. The resort is beautiful, very clean and tastefully decorated. It's situated in a great location near grocery stores and mall. Highly recommended. Will definately go back.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family