When things go wrong, how you're treated can determine how likely you are to return to a hotel, feel about a brand or recommend it. I attended a conference here and was taken aback at the poor customer service. My company had booked a room for me for 3 nights. I mistakenly showed up the second night and the Westin had cancelled my entire stay. It was my fault and I admitted it, but now I was stranded without a room during a busy conference. Firstly, I was surprised that no one texted or called me before they cancelled all nights. I was even more surprised however at the attitute of the staff at check in. After checking with her supervisor out back I was coldly told that I could stay one night but then I was on my own. "Can you help me find another room nearby?" says I.
"No" says she, "You'll have to get your people to help you".
"My people?" says I.
"Yes" says she.
"Who are my people? Someone in my office booked the hotel, you want me to call them?"
"No, talk to the conference organizers" says she.
Well thanks for nothing. I checked into my room and went to find a conference person. Of course they did not know how to help me and told me they'd heard hotels in the area were all booked out. Later I met someone who was staying at another hotel who managed to get a room that night when someone cancelled. I should have been offered a room before him as I had prepaid for all three nights.
Later that evening I found on TripAdvisor the only rooms available, at the Westin Kierland Villas. I called the operator and asked how there could be no rooms available when I was looking at one online? She informed me the villas were Westin, but next door to the hotel (!!) How much effort would it have been for the person checking me in to call the villas I ask? There are shuttles running between the two properties, they are owned by the Westin and share facilities.
By this point I was irritated with the hotel, and noticed other small customer-service irritants like the tap in the bathroom that didn't work properly and the bedside clock that was not showing the correct time as it had not been adjusted after daylight savings.
The one saving grace was the incredible soothing comfort of the Heavenly Bed. .
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This inspiring retreat, located in the heart of "new" Scottsdale, will fill you with a sense of old Arizona and delight you with a fresh, modern destination. From family vacations to business meetings, weddings or just a restful getaway, discover our premier Scottsdale resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Westin Kierland Hotel Scottsdale
- Westin Kierland Resort
- Westin Scottsdale
- Scottsdale Westin
- The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa Scottsdale, Arizona