“Customer service needs work”

The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa
Ranked #17 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed 20 November 2010

When things go wrong, how you're treated can determine how likely you are to return to a hotel, feel about a brand or recommend it. I attended a conference here and was taken aback at the poor customer service. My company had booked a room for me for 3 nights. I mistakenly showed up the second night and the Westin had cancelled my entire stay. It was my fault and I admitted it, but now I was stranded without a room during a busy conference. Firstly, I was surprised that no one texted or called me before they cancelled all nights. I was even more surprised however at the attitute of the staff at check in. After checking with her supervisor out back I was coldly told that I could stay one night but then I was on my own. "Can you help me find another room nearby?" says I.
"No" says she, "You'll have to get your people to help you".
"My people?" says I.
"Yes" says she.
"Who are my people? Someone in my office booked the hotel, you want me to call them?"
"No, talk to the conference organizers" says she.
Well thanks for nothing. I checked into my room and went to find a conference person. Of course they did not know how to help me and told me they'd heard hotels in the area were all booked out. Later I met someone who was staying at another hotel who managed to get a room that night when someone cancelled. I should have been offered a room before him as I had prepaid for all three nights.

Later that evening I found on TripAdvisor the only rooms available, at the Westin Kierland Villas. I called the operator and asked how there could be no rooms available when I was looking at one online? She informed me the villas were Westin, but next door to the hotel (!!) How much effort would it have been for the person checking me in to call the villas I ask? There are shuttles running between the two properties, they are owned by the Westin and share facilities.

By this point I was irritated with the hotel, and noticed other small customer-service irritants like the tap in the bathroom that didn't work properly and the bedside clock that was not showing the correct time as it had not been adjusted after daylight savings.

The one saving grace was the incredible soothing comfort of the Heavenly Bed. .

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
WestinKierland, Director of Public Relations at The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2011

Thank you for your review and valuable feedback. I apologize for the challenges with customer service during your stay. We are always looking for ways to improve, and I will be sure to share this with our management team. I hope you come back to visit The Westin Kierland again soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,529)

Reviewed 18 November 2010

It is a nice hotel overall for a conference; great meeting space, great public areas!
The service is great and clean; but the food is definately not all that impressive when it comes to banquets!
The resort is beautiful, i wish i had time to take advantage of pools, tennis, golf, etc... will come back with family
Warning: expensive wifi!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business

Thank you for your review. We hope you come back to visit The Westin Kierland again soon.

Reviewed 18 November 2010

I want to warn my fellow travelers about some of this hotel's business practices. I had a very nasty experience with this hotel yesterday and am very angry about how I was treated. My reservation was canceled and I was "Walked" to another hotel that was quite inconvenient for me. It was a real hassle and I was treated like dirt. Also, I should note that I am a "Gold" Starwood guest and I was paying a full rack rate (not a discounted rate like you might find on Priceline.)

Here is the (longer) story:

I work in the travel industry and ironically, was an attendee at a travel industry trade event hosted at the Westin Keirland. One of the dirty little secrets of the hotel industry is that occasionally an over-zealous sales person for the hotel will overbook the hotel. This can happen when a conference or trade show is at the hotel and the rep is eager for business (and commission). The hotel ends up being "Oversold". This was the situation at the Westin Keirland Tuesday evening when I was supposed to check in.

When this happens, the hotel needs to "bump" guests and relocate them to other hotels. You may have seen this on airplanes where the airline offers money and a seat on the next plane to someone. With hotels it is called "Walking" a guest. This happens more than you might think. In such a situation, the sales rep will hand pick people to "walk". Typically, (s)he is looking for people who won't put up a fight or scream in the lobby. The unlucky guest will then be offered accommodation at another local property. It could be a nicer property or a lower quality property. It could be next door or in my case, 25 minutes away. They may or may not discount your rate-- it all depends on how you stand up for yourself-- if you stand up for yourself

I did many of these things listed below, which I suggest you do as well if you are in this situation.

1) if they call you and tell you that you are bumped, tell them this is not acceptable

2) show up in the lobby of the hotel and "make a scene" (remember -- the squeaky wheel gets the oil...)

3) Insist that you will do a credit card "charge back" with your credit card company and they will have a fight on their hands to collect any money from you.

4) Insist that the hotel compensate you for your troubles by giving you FREE lodging

5) Write about your experience on Trip Advisor!

If you are worried about it, call the hotel a couple of days before you plan to arrive and ask to speak to the General Manager. He / she probably won't be available, so get to a manager (usually this will be the front desk manager) and inquire if your reservation is safe. MAKE SURE TO GET THE PERSONS NAME. This will strengthen your case if the hotel tries to bump you.

Apologies for the long review.... but given all of this, I can not recommend this hotel.

This could easily happen to you. Here is how you prevent it.

2  Thank LeisureErik
Reviewed 13 November 2010

We had a great stay with our kids, ages 7 and 8. They loved the pool, water slide and lazy river, all of the restaurants had good kids' menu options, and the Kids' Club activities were great! They attended the PJ party on Thursday evening (a bit spendy at $50/child for 4 hours) but they had dinner, did crafts, had a complete hotel tour including kitchens, laundry and ballrooms, played video games and watched a movie. My kids don't always like Kids' Clubs, but they loved this one and begged to go back. There is also a hotel-wide scavenger hunt that the kids can do during their visit and when they're done they receive a pin for each activity they completed. The kids loved that as well.
Regarding the restaurants: the breakfast buffet is overpriced, especially for the kids. Stick to the menu items for a better value. The Waldorf Salad at Nellie Cashman's Monday Club Cafe is the BEST EVER! I will dream about that salad until I can successfully duplicate it at home!
The rooms are very nice, but pretty small. Nice bathrooms.

Reviewed 13 November 2010

I will first say my trip WAS leisure, but with a business group, and of course my perspective may be different had I been paying the bill.

A beautiful resort in a very attractive location, yet in the middle of everything it seemed. I could never left my "Westin Heavenly Bed" nor the Resort itself to have had a relaxing, luxurious few days. Even during the Pheonix Open, at full capacity, the service, the food, the atmosphere was great! It was too chilly to enjoy the very inviting pool, but the bag pipes at dawn along with the perfect outdoor area with a great "bonfire" topped off, and made unique, my experience here. I'll list the rest of why you shouldn't hesitate to plan a stay.

1) Short ride from the Airport, then you can walk to an great area of shops and restaurants, both chain and non.
2) The Spa was better than what I have usually experienced attached to Hotels; they even gave me a complimentary treatment of my choice because of a minor issue with a massage appointment I had made.
3) I enjoyed a wonderful breakfast alone, because most of the crowd was enjoying their golf course. The food and view was far beyond what I had expected, and lunch was just as good, and better because I did have company.
4) Everyone was nice! It was a busy time; but the service was superb and seamless; unlike some places where I've experienced problems and they use the volume of business as an excuse.
5) Although I've already mentioned it, the "Westin Heavenly Bed" is so nice you could miss a lot of what this Resort and surrounding area has to offer. I remember having to pat down the puffy duvet (that wasn't heavy nor hot) to see the TV.

Can't imagine why I wouldn't return; except in mid-summer, when I hear the temperature can be unbearable. (But then you could just stay in bed!) ;)

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business

Thank you for your review. We certainly hope you come back to visit The Westin Kierland again soon, and our Heavenly beds!

Reviewed 5 November 2010

We visited the Westin Kierland for a conference. The resort is beautiful, the staff is friendly, the dining is outstanding and there is a great shopping plaza within walking distance that has even more great dining locals.

The part I didn't like was their supposed "heavenly" beds. I found them to be increadibly uncomfortable. I am a fairly.active person with no health problems. I found myself waking up an hour or two before the alarm because I was so uncomfortable. I actually preferrjed the oversized chair in the room to the bed.

If you are coming for the golf, shopping and beauty of the resort then I highly recommend coming. If you are coming for the heavenly bed, I would pass.

However, all that said. I would visit again. The weather was great and the overall experience was wonderful.

• Stayed: November 2010

Thank you for your review and valuable feedback. We hope you come back to visit The Westin Kierland again soon.

Reviewed 29 October 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Westin Kierland Resort and Spa for 8 nights in October. The hotel, service and staff was beyond our expectations. We have done a lot of travelling over the years and I have to say that this resort was the best for service. The front desk, valet, servers, and concierge staff were always courteous and professional. The grounds at the resort were beautiful; we really enjoyed the outside sitting area and were usually there every night before we went to bed to enjoy a glass of wine and talk about our day. We were able to enjoy the entertainment provided each night at sunset by the Scottish Bagpiper who was amazing. We will definately be returning to this resort in the future.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple