Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Scottsdale - Old Town
Ranked #11 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed 25 January 2013

My family and I have stayed at a lot of Holiday Inn Express hotels over the years and have always found them to be newer properties in great condition with consistent standards. This one was a disappointment. First of all, this is not a newer property and was not up to the standards we expected. We stayed in a 2-bed queen suite. The room appeared somewhat run-down. When I tried to open the window to let in some fresh air, it only opened 6 inches and the screen was falling off the window. The interior part of the suite, where the microwave, mini-fridge, sofa bed, sink, and bathroom are located was very stuffy. Despite a ceiling fan, the only ventilation comes from the unit on the far wall at the opposite end of the suite, and it only reached the first room, where the beds are located. The sofa bed was extremely lumpy and in terrible condition...could not be slept on, even by my son who is not picky and had spent two nights that week very happily on a sofa bed in another hotel. The blanket (a Vellux-type blanket) which was given us for the sofa bed had holes in it, was obviously very old, and had a stiff, course texture. One of the glass doors which separate the two rooms of the suite could not be closed without moving one of the beds. The bathroom and kitchen area were clean, but not the carpet...there was debris under the beds and furniture. The AAA rate price we paid in advance was higher than the price they were advertising online while we were there. I questioned this and was told that the first price which pops up online is usually a lower, nonrefundable price, so that's why we were charged more. Looking at the website again now it doesn't look like that's the case...I think we overpaid. I brought up all these concerns to the manager and no effort was made to compensate us for the difficulties. Would definitely not return here.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank upstatetraveler_10
HIExpressGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Scottsdale - Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2013

We are very sorry you were not impressed with the hotel and that our services fell below your expectations. We've noted your review and will take the corrective actions to ensure our quality of service. Hopefully we can welcome you back for a chance to improve ourselves.

Reviewed 17 January 2013

The staff is great. They have a free happy hour every day with beer, wine and soda; chips, popcorn, chili and snacks. We really looked forward to going every evening. Then on top of that they have warm cookies and milk at 7:30 pm. What a great place. The rooms were wonderful. We will definitely stay here again when we are in Scottsdale. Also, Old Town is just down the street!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
HIExpressGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Scottsdale - Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2013

It's so great to hear when our guests really enjoy themselves and we're glad your stay was no exception. Thank you for your review and don't hesitate to visit us again.

Reviewed 12 January 2013

This is by far the best Holiday Inn Express We have evey stayed. Each room has two rooms divided by French doors. Each room has two flat screen T. V. s Full breakfast each morning.
In the afternoon, they have a two hour happy hour with beer & wine, along with snacks. The staff are all very friendly. Will be back!!! Also, this is one of the cleanest hotels we have evey stayed in.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

We are all genuinley touched by your awesome review. Thank you for deeming us "The Best" and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 12 January 2013

In town for business and I was looking for a decent place. This fit the bill. It sees to be an older hotel but was clean. Our TV didn't work but we were too tired to complain. The shower had seen better days but it was clean. The complimentary hot breakfast was nice and the staff were very friendly.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review, we appreciate your feedback. Sorry to hear the tv was not working but thank you for notifying us so we can continue to improve our facility and rooms; on the other hand it is good to hear you had a nice stay and the staff was friendly. Please come visit us again.

Reviewed 4 January 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel and was extremely impressed by the professionalism and overall friendliness of the staff. We live on the other side of the Phoenix area and like to stay at this hotel when we are on this side of town. Although this hotel has always been exceptional, the new renovation really looks nice. The free evening Happy Hour is also an excellent idea. If you are going to be in Scottsdale, stay here. Between the excellent location, great staff and spotless rooms, you won't find a better deal in Scottsdale.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anthony P

Thank you so much for your great review and recommendation. Even though you live in Arizona, we hope you will come visit us again soon.

Reviewed 3 January 2013

I prefer Holiday Inns as I am a Platinum Elite Member of their loyalty program and for the some basic standards that I can expect at all their hotels.I travelled to Arizona with my wife for the fisrts time and Scootsdale was our first and last stop. We stayed at this hotel for two nights and then one night later in the same week. As Platinum Elite member, the welcome package was nice but the room upgrade was not even mentioned. Upon enquiry, I was told that the room I had was an upgrade from a poolside suite to a poolside suite with patio which meant nothing in December weather. I also noticed that all poolside suites had patios or balconies. The bathrooms were so small that there was just enough room for one person to stand next to the shower and the toilet seat. Upon my return stay, I was not even greeted as a Platinum Elite member and again not given any upgrade. The room was not ready at the time of check in at 2.30 pm and when I protested, the girl at the front desk showed attitude and told me that rooms are gauranteed for 4 pm only even though she knew about my Platinum status by then. I did get the room by 2.50 pm and again it was the same as I booked with no upgrade. I was told that the better ones were all sold out. Now, I am not the one to suffer fools. I aksed her if I will get one if I paid more and she said no as those are sold out. I then told her that I have the website open and two such rooms are available online. She put me on hold and after a long pause, the Manager came on line and asked me what is it that was bothering me. To cut the long story short, I was upgraded to an accessible room though a regular one was still available online and the entire excercise left a bad taste in my mouth. In spite of its good location next to Old Town, Scottsdale, I shall never return to this property again. Now I am seriously worried about the Priority Club Rewards programme and the varying standards of its implementation and monitoring.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank psahaye
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Scottsdale - Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2013

Dear psahaye,

Thank you for being a Priority Club Rewards Platinum member and for leaving us a feedback. I am so pleased you liked the convenient location of our hotel. Please accept my sincerest apology for the service you encountered affected your stay negatively. I am also sorry for the issues you had with your room accommodations and the room upgrade fell below your expectations. Your feedback is very important to us as this assists us in continually improving the services and facilities we have to offer to our guests. Thank you for staying and we hope to serve you again should your travels bring you back to Scottsdale, AZ.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 2 January 2013

If I didn't know the name, I wouldn't guess this is a Holiday Inn Express. The property is wonderful. It is clean and well-kept. The staff is friendly and helpful. The full, hot breakfast had something for everyone in my family, including my extremely picky eater daughter. The rooms are clean, comfortable, in great condition with all your needs anticipated. They even provided paper plates and plastic utensils for use in the room along with the microwave and fridge. Very family-friendly, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this to the business traveler. Convenient to Scottsdale attractions and close by to Phoenix-area attractions as well. I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to anyone. It was a real value.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
HIExpressGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Scottsdale - Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2013

Wow, thanks for the great review; we are very happy you had such a great stay with us and please always remember our name and come see us again soon.