“I will definitely be back!”

The Westin Kierland Villas
Ranked #4 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 15 June 2011

I stayed at the Westin Kierland Villas last summer and really enjoyed my stay, but wanted to add a few details that I haven't seen in the most recent reviews. Some of the differences may have been the time of year we stayed as we were there in the heat of summer – late July, early August.

When we checked in, my husband specifically asked to not be called for any time share tours or owner information sessions. We are actually Westin timeshare owners and enjoy the benefits, but we did not want to use our time that week listening to a sales pitch. The front desk and concierge were very kind and respectful and we never got a call. Kudos to the staff for respecting our wishes!

I notice a lot of the reviewers say they prefer the hotel pool over the villa pool. In fact, my family was the opposite. We visited the hotel pool to use the amenities over there and only stayed for a little while. The metal handles on all the pool steps at the hotel were very hot, whereas the villa pool handles were covered with a white vinyl/cloth covering to keep them cool. Similarly, the pool deck and steps at the hotel pool were very hot and one could not stand still. The whole water complex was out in the open and everything was so hot to the touch, it was unbearable in bare feet. We headed back over to the villas quickly. We could find shade on both pool decks and while in the water at the villa pool. The villa family pool had a slide and a net to bounce a ball around. The adult pool at the villas had a hot tub right next to the pool. In between the two pools was a leisure area with a large chess board, a pool table and hammocks. My kids (14, 11) really enjoyed those touches. They also had a lot of activities – movie night at the pool, crafts, etc, although we didn’t partake in a lot of those since we have family and friends in the area and saw them quite a bit while we were there. One small complaint is that my mother and I went to the adult pool late one evening and there were some children jumping in and splashing around in the adult pool. No staff said anything to the family, although I honestly didn’t go in to the hotel and complain to anyone.

The shuttle is very quick and convenient and the shuttle drivers I encountered were all very friendly. I am usually hesitant to use a hotel shuttle, because I don’t want to wait forever for the shuttle to arrive. The Westin shuttle was very prompt. One afternoon my mother and I were dropped off for lunch at the Cheesecake Factory in the nearby mall. We called when finished for a pick-up and the driver picked us up within 10 minutes right next to the restaurant. On the way back to the villas, we passed a woman pulling a suitcase on the walkway between the hotel and villas, heading to her room. The driver went out of his way to stop and pick her up and drop her off at her room. (I believe there are separate apartment-like suites associated with the hotel on one of the paths between the hotel and villas.) Someone could easily stay on property for a week and not need a rental car. If you have a rental car you can go off the beaten path a little easier, but if you just want to relax, there are plenty of great restaurants within the shuttle area.

If you do have a car, some of the parking is covered. We never found a spot under cover as we came back pretty late most nights, but about half of it is covered.

The villas are a “lock-off” comprised of a large one bedroom and a smaller one bedroom. The larger one bedroom has a king bed and a very large bathroom with a whirl-pool tub, large (heavenly!) walk-in shower with 2 shower heads, two separate sinks, and a private toilet room with door. The smaller one bedroom unit had a queen, but I understand they are upgrading every bed to a king. The smaller unit has a more traditional bathroom with a shower/tub combo. The tub wall is actually pretty high, so if you have mobility issues or are elderly, I would highly recommend renting the larger unit, solely for the shower stall! There is a bar in the bath/shower to help you get in and out, but if you even think you might have issues, don’t risk it.

All the units are the comprised of the same layout. I got the two bedroom lock-off which is one large and one smaller one bedroom unit joined by a door. My husband and I stayed in one bedroom, my mother stayed in the other and each of my kids had a pull-out sofa bed. At the villas, there is no concierge level, no room service. There is only one bed in each bedroom, no option of having two although each sofa has a pull-out bed. If you stay the week, you have a housekeeper one time during the week. If you want to be pampered in that way, stay at the hotel. Being that I travel with my husband, two teens, and often my mother, I gladly take the space over the daily housekeeping. But either way, know what to expect before you make the reservation. As far as the villas being dark, I didn’t notice that at all. The color scheme seemed to me to be dark wood (walnut colored?) with tan and red upholstery and accents although I think the kitchen cabinets were a light wood. From what I remember, the modern feel with the darker wood tones seem to be a common design and color scheme for Westins. I personally really like it! Most hotels have pictures of the rooms and public areas online and in fact trip advisor has a bunch of photos of the rooms as well, so judge for yourself.

As far as light goes, there is less natural light in the living area of the smaller unit because of the design of the balcony off the bedroom. My daughter actually preferred that side for sleeping on the sofa bed as she is a night owl and likes it dark in the morning. :) I am one that always likes a room bright when I am in it so I always turn on the overhead lights no matter what time of day it is. I didn’t notice that either villa was unusually dark, although I am sure the direction of the building has something to do with that as well.

We never did eat on property, either in the villas or hotel, but I do want to mention that while we were there last summer they had a Happy Hour special on ice cream cones at the little market and café area in the villas. I think it was a dollar or two for an ice cream cone during the late afternoon. We all enjoyed heading down to get a cone in the heat of the day.

Overall, I REALLY loved this hotel. It was a great place to spend a week! I left refreshed and rejuvenated. I can’t wait to go back!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
5  Thank spencersmama

Reviewed 7 June 2011

Although the amenities of our room were nice, I found myself not wanting to spend time in it, due to the dark decor. Apparently, some decorator thought black and gray Pottery Barn would look nice, but it was the most depressing interior decoration job that I have ever seen. "New York/Modern Art" just does not fit the desert lifestyle of Arizona. It seemed totally out of place. The only saving grace from the prison-like atmosphere was the stunning view of the golf course. Changing the boxy, drab artwork would be a good start toward brightening up the interior. Timeshare sales are disguised as "Concierge" services. The "free gift" is a ploy to get you in the door and to make you feel obligated to buy. I'm a psychologist. I know all the tricks that salespeople use. But two can play that game. We were a hard sell and walked out victorious, although we left with a bad taste in our mouths because the salesperson was miffed that we didn't succumb to her high-pressure sales techniques. One plus was the elevator, which is a rarity in most timeshares. The cleanliness of the unit was A+, with the exception of a noticeable stain on the couch. The pools were hectic and crowded, although one very cordial and friendly young attendant was extremely helpful in informing us of the recreational and service offerings. We've visited many timeshares, but this one just didn't impress me.

Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank NWArizona
Reviewed 5 June 2011

We stayed at the Villas over Memorial Day wknd with 2 young boys. The Villas has a slide, great life guards, and entertainment staff. Check - in was easy and the staff was very professional. The room was condo looking, modern, great maid staff. We had a view of the golf course and slight view of the mountains. The property is beautiful and an easy walk or shuttle to grocery and restaurants. We'd love to go back and recommend highly, esp. for young chilodren. Ours are 7 and 10. They loved it! Enjoy!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank StephieA
Reviewed 31 May 2011

We were there the last week of May to celebrate my birthday in Scottsdale. This resort is high quality all the way around and we found the service to be great. Let me get our only complaint out of the way up front. We enjoy meals in the room and save a ton on food by cooking. I wouldn't call this a full kitchen because there isn't a full oven, only a combo microwave/convection oven. We tried to roast potatoes in the oven on convection and they never really got done after 90 minutes. The unit worked fine as a microwave but kind of stunk as an oven. Otherwise, the kitchen was well equipped.

The king sized bed as awesome. We had two couples in the large one bedroom unit and it worked. We requested extra bedding for the pull out sofa bed and we actually were able to make it work. It wasn't as comfortable as the big bed but it was fine. We traded the bedroom mid week when they provided housekeeping. We had a ground floor unit in building 3 by the pool, overlooking the golf course. The unit has a nice patio on the back, not over sized but fine for sitting out in the morning or evening. We used the grills by the pool three times and they are cleaned every night along with the utensils. The pools are great and as others have written the lazy river over by the hotel is really great. There is a great happy hour every day by the pool with $3 beer which includes local micro brews, not just Bud or Miller Light.

The concierge was very helpful. She set us up on a hot all balloon ride for a discounted price of $133 each. This was a highlight of the trip. Just do it! It's scary at first but then just wonderful. We went to Sedona for a day at Slide Rock Park, a great place to cool off from the heat and Sedona is an easy day trip. The concierge gave us a 20% off coupon to Deseo restaurant over at the hotel. She said our second visit would be 50% off but when we got there we told the server that we were celebrating my birthday and she gave us %50 percent off on our first visit and two free desserts compliments of the chef. EVERYTHING was absolutely 5 star. My duck was fantastic, the sea bass and steaks perfectly done, the ceviche was fresh and perfectly spiced. If you can, go to the restaurant and enjoy a perfect meal. The discount even includes drinks which is pretty rare. Even without the discount, this isn't a ridiculously priced dinner out. Also, go see the bagpipe player at the Canyon at least once.

All in all, I'd say we will be back. It's just a really easy get away close to everything you could want--nature, golf, shopping, great dinning, etc. It's a kid friendly place but I love that one pool is all adult. Whatever you ask for, they will do their absolute best to make it happen. They did offer $100 for a timeshare presentation. We took it knowing there was no way we were interested but they were still respectful and polite with a "no". We used the Amex gift card to buy dinner.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank timoray
Reviewed 30 May 2011

Stayed here in November 2010. If you need a place to get away from it all, relax & make yourself a priority, this is it! Beautiful & well-maintained property. Stayed in spacious 1 BR villa w/kitchen & washer/dryer which was very convenient. Pleased w/housekeeping services each day. Grocery store easily accessible by resort shuttle if you want to keep some breakfast/snack items on hand. Utilized the spa for a few services & was not disappointed. Pool area was great, good service, food/drinks, not very crowded, easy to get chairs if out there by 11am. Nice shopping & restaurant area nearby, accessible by shuttle or walk.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 May 2011

We stayed in a 2 bedroom condo, and were quite happy with the resort as a whole. Our son and 2 year old grandson stayed in the lock-off bedroom, which had it's own living/dining area and it's own kitchenette complete with micro/oven, small fridge and all the plates, utensils and so on. We stayed in building 2 which overlooks the family pool with waterslide, and were pleased with the location. The kids could be loud at times, but it wasn't a constant bother. More bothersome were the local birds, as they get going around 4:30 AM.

The condos are newer, but not new and show some signs of age, especially the carpets. The micro/oven could give some people a fit, but we had one of these in a Westin condo on Kauai, so we were used to it, and used it three nights for baked potatoes, pizza, and a roast. It worked fine each time.

The two bedroom condo has 4 flat screen TV's, and two balconies, so there was plenty of privacy. We had a nice gas fireplace and used it a couple of times in the evening.

The grounds are beautiful and well kept. This resort had more staff working than I have ever seen at any resort. They are friendly and always helpful. The pool area had plenty of lounge chairs, never a problem finding two or three together, even in the shade. There are several staff attending the towels, chairs, pools, bars etc., it's just amazing.

As for the time share presentation, we just did't want to go, so we declined and they didn't bother us again.

Room Tip: Buildings 1,2, 3, and 4 are closest to the pools.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SecondComing
Scott_Caldwell, General Manager at The Westin Kierland Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2011

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. I'm very pleased you found the staff friendly and helpful.

I'm happy to let you know we are currently renovating all our guestrooms. That includes new carpet and furniture. We are also changing our queen beds to king beds in our deluxe units. This renovation will be complete in all our rooms by September.

Please feel free to contact me if I can assist you with a future stay.

Best regards,

Scott Caldwell

Reviewed 17 May 2011

This place rocks!! When my husband and I leave a resort we list pros and cons and if we would be returning. The list of pros was so long I can only list a few,
Check in and out went very smooth no waiting
Staff is helpful and friendly
The place is gorgeous! including landscaping, pools, rooms & views.
Location was good, close to a large mall with several restaurants
Extremely kid (family) friendly
Wine tasting evening was very informative and tasty

The only con if you can call it that was the time share pitch. Although it was very low pressure and as soon as we said NO, the employee thanked us and we left.

Room Tip: Just ask, they gave us the floor and BLDG we requ.
  • Stayed: May 2011