The Westin Kierland Villas
US$96
US$79
Hilton Scottsdale Resort & Villas(Scottsdale)(Great Value!)
US$124
US$255
US$222
Hotwire.com
  • Pool
The Scott Resort & Spa(Scottsdale)(Great Value!)
US$193
Hotel Valley Ho(Scottsdale)(Great Value!)
US$118
Hyatt.com
US$312
US$272
  • Pool
Gainey Suites Hotel(Scottsdale)(Great Value!)
US$142
1,640 results
All reviewslazy riverrelaxation poolwine dinnertony millergolf coursemarket grillpremium villastarwood vacationstarwood ownersbedroom villamain resorttime sharefun teamscottsdale quarterhotel poolvacation ownershipfull kitchen
Reviewed 23 June 2011

The villas were more than what I expected. We went with another family who owns a timeshare and we got the 2-bedroom, 2 bath connected rooms. There were 8 of us total (4 adults and 4 kids) and there was more than enough space for us all! 4 televisions, 2 refridgerators, 2 kitchens (1 large, 1 small) , 1 dining room and 2 living rooms (+ 2 washer/dryer units). The room was beautiful and up to date and modern.

The best thing was the pool w/ waterslide for the kids and the pool bar service. My friend & I just lounged and relaxed while the kids went nuts on the waterslide and pool. Our husbands wet golfing and they loved the courses.

My least favorite part was that our bedroom window faced the rising sun, so there was NO sleeping in for us. That was a definite bummer, even with the shades drawn. We were in building 4.

Overall, we look forward to going again... assuming our friends invite us!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 June 2011

Stayed here for a week in March over spring break with another family. Four adults, 5 kids aged 1-6. We could not have asked for a better place to stay! The family of five stayed in a 2-bedroom lockoff (small and large one bedroom units combined) and our family of 4 in the larger one bedroom. Plenty of space for all. (Instead of putting the kids on the pull out sofa, we got two rollaways, they fit fine and it was a much better sleeping situation.)

We did not rent a car (the hotel arranged for car service to and from airport) and didn't miss having one at all. There is plenty to do with kids at the villas and the hotel, in addition to fantastic shopping/dining right across the street at the Kierland Commons and the Scottsdale Quarter. We went to two baseball games at Talking Stick and found it easy to get car service - there are always cars waiting out in front of both the hotel and the villas.

Our days consisted of hanging out at the pool (the one at the villas has a fun slide; bigger one at the main hotel with zero entry, lazy river and bubbling fountains for the little ones), playing ping pong and chess (love the giant chess board), and kids activities (putting for margaritas/smoothies, kids treasure hunt, painting pottery, etc.). It's a quick walk or golf cart ride over to the grocery store and there are plenty of gas grills and outdoor seating areas for a relaxing dinner. After dinner we made s'mores over one of the fire pits. We loved the bagpiper at the hotel. Sent the older kids to the pajama party at the kids club one night and they LOVED it! Bonus, it was FREE (including dinner for them) because we ate dinner at Deseo, which was fantastic. Our friends hired a sitter for their one year old and she was great!

The rooms are very nice, and I understand they are renovating so I imagine they will only get nicer. Nice landscaping and lounging areas. We saw tons of little bunnies, lizards, and even a duck sitting on her eggs right outside our building. Buildings 1-3 are right at the pool. Ask for a higher floor if you want more light (the first floor rooms are a bit below grade), and if you care about views ask for a golf course view - gorgeous! The grounds are beautiful and there are plenty of food choices including a kids buffet at the hotel.

Staff was a little pushy about scheduling a timeshare presentation but once given a firm "no" they dropped it. We later decided we were curious so set an appointment and wow - those salespeople are well trained. We got the full court press, along with every sales trick in the book. I won't complain, though, they were only doing their job.

A fantastic vacation with very little to complain about. We would recommend to anyone and hope to be back soon!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
Scott_Caldwell, General Manager at The Westin Kierland Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2011

Dear Mrswh,

Thank you for sharing your experience during your recent spring break stay at The Westin Kierland Villas. I'm very happy your family found so much to do and experience.

I would like to share that as of July 1, we will have completed the renovation of three of our seven buildings. One feature we are very happy about is our new sleeper sofas, which have a great mattress.

Please feel free to contact me prior to your next trip to Scottsdale if I can assist you with any travel plans.

Best wishes for a great summer,

Scott Caldwell

Reviewed 20 June 2011

This was our second trip to Scottsdale and we love it! We stayed at the JW Marriott (Camelback Inn) last year - Fantastic! This year we stayed at the Westin Kierland Villas. Very nice.

We had reservations for a one bedroom Deluxe and ask for an upgrade to a Premium but were told none were available except for $50.00 a day increase in our bill. The clerk gladly showed us both size rooms and we decided to stay with the deluxe. We ask to be put on a higher floor overlooking the golf course and we were placed in building six, third floor, overlooking the golf course. Very nice.

The villas were packed with a lot of families so if that's what you are looking for, go for it.
Both the "kids/family" pool and most certainly the "adult" pool are relatively small. We spent one day at the adult pool at the Westin Villas and then spent the rest of the week over at the Westin Hotel adult pool (absolutely beautiful and three times the size .)

The smaller one bedroom is just fine for one couple. The only drawback is that it has a queen-sized bed (we were told that that is in the process of being changed and that all one bedroom villas will have king-sized beds in the near future.)

The staff was very nice and there was absolutely no pressure to "buy-in" to the Westin-Villas timeshare programs.

Overall, we had a great stay at the Westin Kierland Villas and would have no problem at all returning in the future.

Room Tip: Bldg 5 overlooks the golf course and the mountain!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank KennyD49
Reviewed 15 June 2011

I stayed at the Westin Kierland Villas last summer and really enjoyed my stay, but wanted to add a few details that I haven't seen in the most recent reviews. Some of the differences may have been the time of year we stayed as we were there in the heat of summer – late July, early August.

When we checked in, my husband specifically asked to not be called for any time share tours or owner information sessions. We are actually Westin timeshare owners and enjoy the benefits, but we did not want to use our time that week listening to a sales pitch. The front desk and concierge were very kind and respectful and we never got a call. Kudos to the staff for respecting our wishes!

I notice a lot of the reviewers say they prefer the hotel pool over the villa pool. In fact, my family was the opposite. We visited the hotel pool to use the amenities over there and only stayed for a little while. The metal handles on all the pool steps at the hotel were very hot, whereas the villa pool handles were covered with a white vinyl/cloth covering to keep them cool. Similarly, the pool deck and steps at the hotel pool were very hot and one could not stand still. The whole water complex was out in the open and everything was so hot to the touch, it was unbearable in bare feet. We headed back over to the villas quickly. We could find shade on both pool decks and while in the water at the villa pool. The villa family pool had a slide and a net to bounce a ball around. The adult pool at the villas had a hot tub right next to the pool. In between the two pools was a leisure area with a large chess board, a pool table and hammocks. My kids (14, 11) really enjoyed those touches. They also had a lot of activities – movie night at the pool, crafts, etc, although we didn’t partake in a lot of those since we have family and friends in the area and saw them quite a bit while we were there. One small complaint is that my mother and I went to the adult pool late one evening and there were some children jumping in and splashing around in the adult pool. No staff said anything to the family, although I honestly didn’t go in to the hotel and complain to anyone.

The shuttle is very quick and convenient and the shuttle drivers I encountered were all very friendly. I am usually hesitant to use a hotel shuttle, because I don’t want to wait forever for the shuttle to arrive. The Westin shuttle was very prompt. One afternoon my mother and I were dropped off for lunch at the Cheesecake Factory in the nearby mall. We called when finished for a pick-up and the driver picked us up within 10 minutes right next to the restaurant. On the way back to the villas, we passed a woman pulling a suitcase on the walkway between the hotel and villas, heading to her room. The driver went out of his way to stop and pick her up and drop her off at her room. (I believe there are separate apartment-like suites associated with the hotel on one of the paths between the hotel and villas.) Someone could easily stay on property for a week and not need a rental car. If you have a rental car you can go off the beaten path a little easier, but if you just want to relax, there are plenty of great restaurants within the shuttle area.

If you do have a car, some of the parking is covered. We never found a spot under cover as we came back pretty late most nights, but about half of it is covered.

The villas are a “lock-off” comprised of a large one bedroom and a smaller one bedroom. The larger one bedroom has a king bed and a very large bathroom with a whirl-pool tub, large (heavenly!) walk-in shower with 2 shower heads, two separate sinks, and a private toilet room with door. The smaller one bedroom unit had a queen, but I understand they are upgrading every bed to a king. The smaller unit has a more traditional bathroom with a shower/tub combo. The tub wall is actually pretty high, so if you have mobility issues or are elderly, I would highly recommend renting the larger unit, solely for the shower stall! There is a bar in the bath/shower to help you get in and out, but if you even think you might have issues, don’t risk it.

All the units are the comprised of the same layout. I got the two bedroom lock-off which is one large and one smaller one bedroom unit joined by a door. My husband and I stayed in one bedroom, my mother stayed in the other and each of my kids had a pull-out sofa bed. At the villas, there is no concierge level, no room service. There is only one bed in each bedroom, no option of having two although each sofa has a pull-out bed. If you stay the week, you have a housekeeper one time during the week. If you want to be pampered in that way, stay at the hotel. Being that I travel with my husband, two teens, and often my mother, I gladly take the space over the daily housekeeping. But either way, know what to expect before you make the reservation. As far as the villas being dark, I didn’t notice that at all. The color scheme seemed to me to be dark wood (walnut colored?) with tan and red upholstery and accents although I think the kitchen cabinets were a light wood. From what I remember, the modern feel with the darker wood tones seem to be a common design and color scheme for Westins. I personally really like it! Most hotels have pictures of the rooms and public areas online and in fact trip advisor has a bunch of photos of the rooms as well, so judge for yourself.

As far as light goes, there is less natural light in the living area of the smaller unit because of the design of the balcony off the bedroom. My daughter actually preferred that side for sleeping on the sofa bed as she is a night owl and likes it dark in the morning. :) I am one that always likes a room bright when I am in it so I always turn on the overhead lights no matter what time of day it is. I didn’t notice that either villa was unusually dark, although I am sure the direction of the building has something to do with that as well.

We never did eat on property, either in the villas or hotel, but I do want to mention that while we were there last summer they had a Happy Hour special on ice cream cones at the little market and café area in the villas. I think it was a dollar or two for an ice cream cone during the late afternoon. We all enjoyed heading down to get a cone in the heat of the day.

Overall, I REALLY loved this hotel. It was a great place to spend a week! I left refreshed and rejuvenated. I can’t wait to go back!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
5  Thank spencersmama
Reviewed 7 June 2011

Although the amenities of our room were nice, I found myself not wanting to spend time in it, due to the dark decor. Apparently, some decorator thought black and gray Pottery Barn would look nice, but it was the most depressing interior decoration job that I have ever seen. "New York/Modern Art" just does not fit the desert lifestyle of Arizona. It seemed totally out of place. The only saving grace from the prison-like atmosphere was the stunning view of the golf course. Changing the boxy, drab artwork would be a good start toward brightening up the interior. Timeshare sales are disguised as "Concierge" services. The "free gift" is a ploy to get you in the door and to make you feel obligated to buy. I'm a psychologist. I know all the tricks that salespeople use. But two can play that game. We were a hard sell and walked out victorious, although we left with a bad taste in our mouths because the salesperson was miffed that we didn't succumb to her high-pressure sales techniques. One plus was the elevator, which is a rarity in most timeshares. The cleanliness of the unit was A+, with the exception of a noticeable stain on the couch. The pools were hectic and crowded, although one very cordial and friendly young attendant was extremely helpful in informing us of the recreational and service offerings. We've visited many timeshares, but this one just didn't impress me.

Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family