“Great!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Denver, Colorado
“Great!”
Reviewed 2 April 2012

This was our second stay at the Westin Kierland Villas, and it was just as good as the first. Perfect for a family vacation! We stayed in the larger one bedroom, which was plenty of space for our family of four. There is a pull out couch in the living room but we opted for two rollaways instead - more comfortable for the kids and they each had their own space. The balcony is large with nice furniture. We were in building 4, close to the pool, but we weren't ever bothered by any noise outside or from our neighbors. Beds are super comfortable, A/C is easy to operate and more than adequate even when the temperature is in the upper 80s/low 90s. The bathroom is spacious and heavenly shower is wonderful, even though there is a guilt trip inducing sign suggesting that only one shower head be used. Wi-Fi is free but it was very slow at times. The washer/dryer is tiny but so nice to have, we would just toss in a load each morning so we'd have plenty of clean clothes and towels - and it was nice to come home without a week's worth of dirty laundry. The kitchen is great with a nice size refrigerator and plenty of dishes, cups and utensils.

We did not rent a car - easy to arrange car service from the airport through the concierge. It's an easy walk to the hotel or over to Safeway, Scottsdale Quarter and Kierland Commons, with lots of fun restaurants and stores, but there is also a shuttle for hot afternoons or tired legs at night. We never had to wait long for the shuttle, and the driver even waited for me at Walgreen's while I ran in to grab a few items. We needed to leave the area only for spring training games at Salt River Fields, and it was easy to arrange a car, as there are always plenty waiting at the hotel (they will come over to the villas if you call a few minutes in advance). Late checkout is hard to get, but if your flight out is late, the bellman will hold your bags and you are welcome to use the hotel facilities. There is a locker room with shower in Building 1.

The grounds are beautiful as always (I disagree with the previous reviewer who said the grounds are prettier at the hotel - they are gorgeous in both places and in between!), and we love the outdoor seating areas, hammocks, gas grills and fire pits for roasting s'mores! We were sad to see that they had to lock the chess set and ping pong table inside the pool area, which closes at 6:00, as the kids enjoyed playing last year while we grilled dinner. But, they did enjoy foosball, ping pong, and pool during their swim breaks. The Villas has two pools - one for family and the other for "relaxation." The kids' pool has a fun water slide, comfortable chairs and umbrellas for shade (if you are lucky enough to snag a chair in the right place!). The food is fine but service is consistently slow, so we just learned to plan ahead. Once we were starving so we walked over to the McDowell Market and picked up the food ourselves. The hotel also has two pools - one quiet pool and the huge "adventure pool." It has a little beach and zero entry on one end, plenty of room to play and swim, and a lazy river that I could just float on forever! While the food service is faster at the hotel pool, the food is not tasty and is more expensive than the food at the villas pool. We preferred the villas pool (even the chairs are better there) but liked to walk over to the hotel in the late afternoon to enjoy the lazy river.

There is always a fun activity to take part in, whether you are at the Villas or the hotel. Putting for margaritas (you have to putt a lime!), cannonball contest, pottery painting, whiffle ball, obstacle course, the list goes on. Our 5 year olds went to the PJ party at Kids Club and loved it. They ordered dinner in, did some arts and crafts, went out to see the bagpipers, went out for ice cream, and watched a movie. PJ Party is free if you dine at Deseo, even if you just have drinks and appetizers. Great deal! The 7 year olds went to Digital Kids Club (which is technically for kids 8-14) and loved it! They donned costumes and went out and about around the grounds to film their own music video, which we got on CD to take home. They loved it! The kids also had fun with the scavenger hunt - stop by the Kierland Mining Co. in the hotel and they will get a booklet (like a passport). They have to go around the resort collecting stamps (some of the stops have activities for the kids), and can then collect pins for their lanyards to show which places in the resort they have visited. Kids in the Kitchen was also a huge hit. The kids color their own aprons, get their own chef hats, take a kitchen tour, and make a giant batch of chocolate chip cookies (each kid brought home a dozen!). A nice 90 minutes for the adults to relax and the kids had a great time!

There was no mention this year of the timeshare presentation, other than a note under the door one day.

My only complaint, other than the slow wi-fi, was the lack of enthusiasm of the staff. For the most part, they just weren't that friendly. There was one gentleman at the pool that was great, and the shuttle drivers were super nice, but that's about it. Nobody was rude, but most were not particularly smiley. Bartenders at the pool bar were never friendly. It was kind of weird. There was one other thing we did not like - there was a group of unsupervised, obnoxious kids at the villas pool for what seemed like all day, every day. They took other kids' pool tubes/toys, threw the giant chess pieces around, climbed up the slide backwards, were playing very rough in the pool, dunking in the basketball hoop and hanging on the rim . . . one night the same unsupervised kids were lighting sticks on fire and holding them up to our small children in one of the outdoor seating areas.

I know this is not the Westin's fault, but I'm not sure why they didn't do more to control these kids or ensure that they were better supervised. I don't mind kids having fun and splashing at the pool, but this was so annoying that another family we talked with left to go to the hotel pool where they wouldn't have to deal with it.

All in all, another great vacation at the Villas - we will be back!!

Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank mrswh
Scott_Caldwell, General Manager at The Westin Kierland Villas, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
Thank you very much for staying with us again and for taking the time to write such a thorough review. I'm happy that you and your family took advantage of so many activities and features of The Westin Kierland Villas. One issue you mentioned was our internet speeds could be faster. We've seen a tremendous increase in bandwidth utilization over the past couple of years. We are currently in process of greatly increasing our bandwidth and should have much improved service within a month or two at the latest. I'm happy you enjoyed the features and food around our pool. I apologize you found the service not as prompt as we expect. We strive to always give great, friendly service and hope to impress you during your next visit with us.

Please feel free to contact me if you would like to share anything else or if I can provide any assistance prior to your next stay.

Scott Caldwell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (513)
Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Our family took our yearly spring break vacation to Arizona in mid-March. We stayed at the Westin Kierland Villas in a 2 bedroom lock-off. This was our third stay at the resort. As usual the resort was in immaculate condition. The grounds were very well kept and there was not a paper to be found on the ground.

Our room was also very nice. Having the two bedroom lock-off allowed us to invite friends who stayed in the small room while we stayed on the larger side. Everyone fit in the villa comfortably and the kitchen made it very nice to make breakfast in the morning for the kids.
The kids spent a lot of time out at the Villa Pool and on the water slide. The pool staff was great. There was however one staff member that stood out. Toni Marie Millis is a Fun Coordinator at the Villas. When the kids went out to the pool on the first day, she immediately remembered them from our visit the year prior. Our kids came running over to us and told us that she remembered them and had greeted them when they walked in. She then took down each of their names and birthdays. She came over and asked if we were celebrating any special occasions while we were on vacation. It just so happened that our friends were celebrating a wedding anniversary in two days. She took down their names how many years they were celebrating. On the day of their anniversary we returned to our room to find the bathtub on their side of the villa, decorated with anniversary best wishes and chocolate covered strawberry with champagne, chilling on ice waiting for them. They were overjoyed and I was extremely impressed with Toni Marie.

Toni Marie represents the staff at the resort. Their helpfulness and pleasant demeanor is the reason we keep going back. If you have kids and want to spend time relaxing at a great resort with outstanding employees you can’t go wrong staying at the Westin Keirland Villas!
See you next year Toni!! And thanks again for making our stay a memorable one.

P.S. The boys say Hi!!

1 Thank Stacy H
Scott_Caldwell, General Manager at The Westin Kierland Villas, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
What a great way to start the day! Thank you for sharing in such detail your experiences with Toni Marie Mills. One of our greatest pleasures here is making connections with our guests, and I'm very happy Toni Marie did that with you. I will be sure to personally congratulate and thank her (and tell her the boys said Hi!).

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

WA
Reviewed 31 March 2012

Liked the layout of the one bedroom villa. Kitchen well stocked for cooking. Started in Building 2 and moved to Building 6. The first room was on the first floor with a porch area which didn't get much sun. A few things needed maintenance so we asked to move. The second room had a nice golf course view on floor 3 and was in better condition. Wish they had given us the better room to start with (we did ask when we checked in and were told nothing else was available). Lazy river wasn't operating. If you booked at the Westin, there was a notice that the river wasn't operating, but when you booked a villa, it didn't mention it. We did enjoy the pool and the general feel of the villa area. Could have used a more direct walking path from the Villas to the main hotel. In fact, there was no where on the grounds to take an evening stroll. Shuttle to the main hotel or surrounding area was excellent. Easy walk to shopping area. This hotel seems well suited to conferences or golf.

Room Tip: Golf course view room was beautiful
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for your recent stay and for sharing your thoughts about The Westin Kierland Villas. I'm sorry you didn't care for your first room, and am glad we were able to move you into a room that better suited your needs. The walk between The Villas and resort takes about 5 minutes. I hope one of our team was able to give you directions. I hope you have the opportunity to return soon. Please feel free to contact me if I can assist in any way.

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 29 March 2012

We stayed at the villas in a one bedroom with a full kitchen, living and dining areas. Very nice ville and great resort with two pools, one for adults only. The Westin hotel is a short five minute walk and as guests of the villas you can use the hotel pool and can charge food and drinks to your villa. There is also a golf course onsite as well. Well maintained with a very accommodating staff. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your stay and for taking the time to share your review. I'm glad you were able to enjoy both the amenities of our property and of The Westin Kierland Resort and Spa. I would like to clarify for your fellow travelers that neither of our two pools is adults only. Our relaxation pool is meant to be a quieter experience, and I'm happy to hear you found it so.

I hope to welcome you back to Scottsdale soon.

Reviewed 29 March 2012

We traveled with another couple, and they particularly liked the privacy of the 2 bedroom lock off that we had. Our villa was lovely, the grounds were beautiful, and the service was exceptional.

Room Tip: We enjoyed our golf course view
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for your recent stay. I'm glad that both you and your guests had an enjoyable stay. I will be sure and thank our team for your great comment about the service levels.

Summit, New Jersey
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Let me start by saying we enjoyed our stay at the villas and that we are not timeshare owners but have stayed in many timeshares in Florida and have had similar experiences. The room we had, 1 bedroom premium, was very nice and updated. The pool facilites are very nice and the staff on site is over the top when it comes to being friendly. There are a few challenges with this location that prevent me from giving it a higher rating and perhaps they are unimportant to you.

The location in scottsdale is nice, close to great shopping and restaurants but the villas location and grounds are not comparable to the Westin Kierland Resort which has an exceptional property and amazing pool and grounds. One of the selling points of the villas is access to the westin resort however getting to and from the resort is not as easy as it should be. The shuttle is a big bus that takes an indirect route, as there is no direct route. The walking paths are not direct etiher so we found ourselves on golf cart paths/parking lots etc trying to walk to the main resort. Not ideal.

The other issue we faced is with the service, while nice as i pointed out, we found ourselves making multiple requests for critical items like a crib for our daughter and this is very frustrating. I even went so far to fill out a complaint card, as suggested by the staff, that was never answered.

This part of the review is for SPG Platinum members: Do not opt for the continental breakfast option at this property unless you plan on eating eggs and bacon everyday as this will be your only option. They do not have a continental breakfast, as most westins do, where you can choose some other options like fruit and oatmeal. This site will only allow you to order bacon and eggs with no substitutions allowed.

If i were to return, I would stay at the main resort property as the family adventure pool, spa, service and restaurants are very nice at the resort.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for your recent stay and for the constructive feedback. I am happy you thought the rooms nice and updated and the staff friendly. There is a route between the properties that is on sidewalks and takes about 5 minutes to walk. I'm sorry we didn't do a better job communicating that to you.

You absolutly should never have had the service issue you experienced. I have followed up with my team to revisit our internal communication and expectations. I am available if you would like to review this further.

For Starwood Preferred Guest Platinum members, we offer an upgraded full american breakfast, but are happy to substitue an continental breakfast. I apologize we didn't execute this as it was early in the program and we hadn't anticipated that some guests wouldn't want the expanded breakfast. I hope you give us another opportunity to change your expectation of us. Please contact me and I will insure you and your family have a great stay.

Cleveland
Reviewed 23 March 2012

We are owners and bought here 5 years ago while at the hotel and this is our first year back. The property does not disappoint. We stayed in a 1 bedroom premium which consists of stocked kitchen, breakfast bar, 6 table dining area, living area, balcony, large bedroom with 2 closets, very large bathroom with glass shower and jacuzzi tub, double sinks. Very clean, and nice transitional decor. We used the fireplace, as it was a bit chilly at first. The washer and dryer are always handy to lesson the luggage load. They added large grilling areas in between the buildings with seating. A nice addition if you like to cook in a few days/nights.
The villas pool is wonderful with splash fountains, large chess and checker games, ping pong, pool, etc. A slide is at the large pool with a volley ball net and baskeball hoop and there is an adult pool as well with a relaxing fountain. Good food at the pool, flags to summon the staff, full bar and restaurant with help yourself yougurt machine.

The exercise facility is very nice. 5 treadmills with TV's a few bikes, elipticals, and stepper, weights and machine too.

You also have access to the hotel pools with the adventure pool being enormous with a lazy river and larger slide. It is only a 8 minute walk over or they will shuttle you. We rented a cabana there for the day for $125 which included water and chips/salsa. The book up quickly, so you have to rent prior to that day. Both pools have activities for children, such as painting pottery and a water balloon race. Some have minimal charges, but plenty to do for the little ones.

The staff was helpful and efficient. Many restaurants in walking distance at Kierland Commons (closer to the hotel side). There is a theater across the street as well, the new high end ipic theaters, quite pricey, but my son loved the premium plus seating.

A great place for families to stay.

Room Tip: Most requested buildings are #5 and #3, both have golf course views and are close to the pool.
3 Thank Curly8
Scott_Caldwell, General Manager at The Westin Kierland Villas, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
Thank you for your recent return and very informative review of our property. We did have a couple chilly days early last week, but the weather is beautiful now. I'm very glad you found so much to do around the hotel. It's a great time to visit! Please come back soon and feel free to contact me if I can assist in any way.