“Excellent property!”

The Westin Kierland Villas
Ranked #4 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 25 November 2013

My husband and I stayed here for one night and had a great time. Check in was a breeze, the staff was very helpful and friendly. We hung out on the lazy river, the pool and hot tub. So nice! The lifeguards and staff by the pool are great too! The bagpipes at night was really cool, very unique! We try to escape the cold winters every year and are planning to come back!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Scott_Caldwell, General Manager at The Westin Kierland Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

I'm pleased you and your husband enjoyed your evening with us. The bagpipes at sunset is something I tell all our guests to experience. Please feel free to contact me if I can assist with your return trip to Scottsdale.

There are newer reviews for The Westin Kierland Villas

Reviewed 24 November 2013

The Westin Kierland Villas - directly associated with and part of the accompanying Westin Resort and Spa are truly an amazing, all encompassing vacation property. Having just changed my Trip Advisor status, I am providing updates on past missed reviews, and this property was one I could not miss providing a review - as the villas provide such a great experience!!

After a great deal of research and as part of our family's timeshare connection (via Interval, Diamond Resorts / Starwood group) we decided upon the Kierland Villas as the base location for our 1st ever major family reunion / vacation.
This property... the quality, details and fittings of the villa accommodations, the wide variety and high quality level of amenities between the villas property and the Westin Resort complex (literally a few steps away through impeccably well mannered grounds) were superb to say the least, and made for an amazing vacation, and a wonderful family experience.
The villas themselves are primarily timeshare based properties - part of this entire Westin Resort. They are very popular - due to the high level of detailing, décor, convenience, service, location, etc. - so can be hard at certain times of the year to book. BUT provide an AMAZING high level / casually elegant 'home' base where every detail and amenity (both inside and out) has been thought of for you convenience.
For our group we were luckily able to book 2 FULL family suites - which were actual 4 completely self contained suites. Each 'MAIN SUITE' was an incredibly beautiful, FULLY outfitted 2 bedroom / two bathroom modern 'condo with FULL kitchen (outfitted with all the necessary appliances, cookware, dishes, etc.) and attached 8 seat dining room area, large living room with fireplace, flat screen TV, large balcony with seating, interior laundry. These main suites than had an expansive master bedroom with LARGE, modern en-suite bath, private balcony, AMAZING beds... and the 2nd bedroom was again a full size queen (again amazing bed and linens) and private marbled bath. Each main suite was then accompanied by a connecting 'JR." suite - a fully self contained private one bedroom suite with living room / fireplace / flat screen, large private balcony, café dining area, full mini kitchen, another separate bedroom (same amazing bed and linen) and en-suite spa bathroom.
All of our suites were on the upper level (all building are 3 story so as not to impede with the natural surrounding mountains) serviced by elevator (so very convenient for the elderly or disabled) - and all of our rooms looked out onto the amazingly landscaped 5 star golf club that is one of the central features of this entire Westin Resort. Each morning we awoke to the gigantic golf course irrigation fountain sprays creating rainbows in the early morning sunrise!
There is a central reception 'club house' areas with lounge and entertainment just for the villa guests. Central to the villa complex is a pool / spa / entertainment complex - nice pool. extremely well maintained / well serviced lounging area - very family friendly!!!
BUT within a few steps and a beautiful stroll through the golf course grounds and amazingly landscaped gardens are ALL the top class sport, pools, entertainment, spa, restaurants and bars, shops, etc. of the main Westin Resort and Spa buildings.
Each day of our stay we made a point of making some sort of stop at the main resort - either for just a walk, but usually for a breakfast, lunch, of family dinner when we did not feel like prepping our own meal in our suite kitchens, or for a relaxing bar or pub drink and snack after a days outing touring and sightseeing (there is ALOT to see!!!). BUT each and every day -usually multiple times a day we would be visiting and utilizing at least ONE of the pool complexes. Multiple times we lounged around the spa-like waterfall pool - with attached service bar and outdoor parkette lounge area with stone fireplaces, seating areas etc. Each night we also visited the Olympic sized adult only pool area - more like it's own enormous spa - open 24 hours, and on two occasions we were the only ones in the entire pool. IN ADDITION and not to be missed is the LAZY RIVER style entertainment area, a multi-tiered, multi-sectional (beach area, lounge area, private cabana area, restaurant areas) 'water park' - but classy water park all based around an beautiful relaxing lazy river in which you can either swim or lounge on air tubes and float along -all around a central island with water slide. We specifically set aside on full day and rented a private, full serviced cabana to layback, relax, swim, sun, and just enjoy - well worth any expense!!!

One of the surprising highlights of staying at the Kierland Villas and utilizing all the services and amenities of the Westin Resort - was the amazing, and wonderful shopping in the area. First, any and all the shops you may need (grocery store, drug store, etc.) to outfit your kitchen to cook in etc. are within a short drive.

BUT a major surprise was an extremely beautiful, casually elegant shopping area - 'The KIERLAND COMMONS' - just out side of and within a short walk of the Westin Resort complex. Again another AMAZING find. A wonderful mix of mid range to high end stores, small and large shops, private and chain stores, great restaurants, bars, bookstores, galleries - all within a small and intimate few block area. One highlight with in the area - one of THE BEST, most beautiful CHEESECAKE FACTORIES we've ever been to. We 'visited' the factory several times - either for a meal or a snack... and even did take out cheesecake one night.

Directly within the same area are several great indoor / outdoor shopping 'malls', again with a great mix of stores. As well within driving distance are other modern shopping areas with big box retailers, the national chain restaurants, etc.

ALL IN ALL the Westin Kierland Villas and their immediate connection to the Westin Resort and Spa provided an amazing vacation home. More than HIGHLY recommended! and we can not wait to return!!!

Room Tip: The villas are COMLETELY self contained and provide an amazing home base for a terrific high-end sty...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family

What a great review! Thank you for all the details you shared with tripadvisor. I'm so gald you enjoyed the entire Kierland experience (including The Villas, The resort, and the shopping and dining). I appreciate the recommendation and hope you will return again soon.

Reviewed 22 November 2013

The Westin/Starwood group continues to provide a first class experience on many levels. Most accommodating, professional staff, wonderful spaces, tremendous guest values, and superb locations. We've been to Phoenix-Scottsdale many times over the decades, and this particular spot is understandably booked solid, so we have to reserve well in advance to get in.

But for our tastes, there is one thing that makes this Westin truly unique. The Tony Miller Wine Dinner is flat out the most outstanding event of its kind we've experienced, not just here, but anywhere we've traveled in the Starwood network and beyond. (I've been Platinum with Starwood and traveled quite a bit in other chains...so we get around a bit, in addition to our ownership with Starwood.) We can say with great frankness that if Tony Miller's dinner wasn't available here, it would drop this Westin to the same level as many of the other "best available" places to stay in this area.

In a nutshell, the Miller event provides more than just wine tastings (which he also does very, very well, by the way). This is a "wine drinking" event, full five course exquisite gourmet dinner with unrivaled pairings, but all of the wines are extraordinary, rare and a tremendous value. Tony Miller provides a level of expertise and a quality of teaching to participants that could only be provided by a master of the grape and person with a true love of sharing knowledge. Each new friend around the table is treated as a valued client, a cherished student, and an honored guest.

Which raises an interesting question for me. Why would Starwood/Westin limit this to a single facility? Mr. Miller's ability to teach is beyond question. While his own unique personality comes into play, there are many good sommelier with personality and teaching skill who would value the chance to sit at his feet, learn the skills to create the experience, and make this event a global offering in the Starwood network. If you could work with Mr. Miller to get this right, there would be no excuse for staying in any other facility where there was a Starwood in town.

Like me, Tony Miller's no spring chicken. What he does takes a lifetime to learn, and what he's created takes a lifetime to perfect. But once perfected, it takes only a smart management team and a little time to replicate it, and the life's work of one man can become the experience of a lifetime for thousands or more. I'm not suggesting that Tony Miller can turn Westin into Disneyland, but Starwood is missing the boat by keeping this event and this talent locked into a single facility. You folks need to rethink that strategy.

Thanks for a great experience.

Room Tip: Get up off of the first floor. Ask for either a sunrise or a sunset view.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for sharing your great comments. I spoke with Tony last night, and agree that is one of our best activities for creating a memorable experience and for interacting with fellow guests. I have shared our guests feedback with other properties, and will share your suggestion. I appreciate your loyalty and look forward to your next trip to Scottsdale.

Reviewed 22 November 2013

Gorgeous Property. All amenities are first class. Villas are fully stocked with everything you need in the kitchen. Very nice and large bedrooms and bathrooms. Excellent location next to Kierland Commons & Scottsdale Quarters for many good restaurants & shopping within walking distance. Great golf clinics at Kierland Golf Course - head pro Pete really helped improve our golf game. Good food at the Westin restaurants. Chef Jason Lee at the Villas is fantastic. All staff we encountered were extremely friendly and helpful - really seemed to enjoy their jobs. Good selection of events for adults and children. We really enjoyed the Reserve Wine tasting on Monday night and the Wine Pairing Dinner on Wednesday was out of this world. Took a great hike lead by Belal and Alex through the McDowell Mountains. They were good hike guides. Concierges very helpful with guidance on many events and restaurants. Has a recreation pool for children and a relaxation pool for adults that open 24hrs and has a hot tub. Have gas grills available for your use throughout the complex and several "fire pits" with nice fires which are perfect for just relaxing or visiting with friends. Happy Hour at the Villa Bar from 6 pm to close. Have access to all of the amenities at both the Villa and Hotel property. Top rated spa - Agave is located on the hotel property.

Room Tip: Buildings 3,5 & 7 overlook the beautiful Kierland Golf Course and covered parking is available n...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your recent vacation with us. I appreciate you taking the time to recognize the individuals that made your stay more special. I will thank them all for going the extra step. The hikes are something we are thinking of increasing in frequency. We get great comments about the beautiful views. I hope you will be able to return very soon.

Reviewed 21 November 2013

This place is GORGEOUS! The villas have everything you could want, the perfect base location for us...it's in Scottsdale...1/2 hour from Phoenix and 1 1/2 hours from Prescott, the 2 other places we were visiting. The amenities are outstanding, I really can't say enough good things about the place. You also have use of facilities at the Westin Kierland hotel and their spa. I highly recommend a stay here!

Room Tip: if you stay above the first floor, you'll have some views from you balcony...although the guy un...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

I'm very pleased to know you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for the compliments about the rooms. We are in a great location. I hope you will let me know if I can help with a future visit.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

This was our third time staying at the villas and it was even better than our first stay. The staff is just amazing, always trying to help out. Robin at the café is amazing, always trying to help you out. She is an exceptional person.
This time we were in the building 7, I didn't like it so much as it seems isolated ( i really like building 5). But we still enjoyed all the facilities.
We came to that place especially for the flowridder as my son just loves it. Before leaving I called up the hotel to make sure the flowridder was running, and I was told yes from 11 to 4 pm no problem.... But that is actually not the case.... It is only open from 12 to 1pm, and they will only open it up after that if 5 people or more sign up. Even the sign at the entrance of the pool says flowridder open 11 to 4pm, may be it would be a good idea to change that and also to let ALL the staff know about it so they won't give out the wrong informations. I reported that issue to a couple of persons and apparently the manager was supposed to contact me.... I'm still waiting.... Personally, I think the staff is doing a much better job than managers....

Room Tip: Building 5 is nicely located closed to the barbecue and pools but still very quiet .
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank lifelight

Thank you for coming back to stay with us again. I will let Robin know she made your stay more special. I'm sorry for the mix up with flowrider. I'll share your thoughts with the resort's managers. I also apologize that you weren't contacted. I'd be happy to discuss this with you, if you would give me a call. Thank you again for you loyalty and your feedback.

Reviewed 15 November 2013

Our 30th anniversary stay at Kierland could not have been better. Staff was ultra friendly and helpful. They also try to get you to take a sales tour which we expected. The one bedroom was just right although frig might have been a bit too cold. Great view of golf course. Buildings 3 and 5 face the center of the resort with balcony's that open with views of the Kierland golf course and the mountains to the east- perfect for sunset views.

The golf course staff were also very friendly and this is a first rate Troon course. Only thing missing were caddies. Weekday rate of $149 was well worth it.

• Stayed: November 2013

Congratulations on your 30th anniversary! I always love to hear about the team's friendliness. I hope to welcome you back very soon.