“amazing stay”

The Westin Kierland Villas
Ranked #4 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Again, nothing short of amazing experience at Westin. The villa was clean and ready for my arrival. The villas were clean, the bed very comfy, and fireplace working. The staff was very accommodating and friendly. The concierge called me few days prior to my arrival to ask me about my plans for the upcoming vacations so they could get some info ready, and upon my arrival I had my contact great me and hand me over all the previously requested info. At 5pm at nearby Westin hotel a Scottish bagpipe would play for about an hour to give you an awesome experience of relaxing sunset by the fire pit. Just an awesome stay. It was an amazing stay...... I would definitely go back...

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Scott_Caldwell, General Manager at The Westin Kierland Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Thank you for such great praise. I love to hear our guests experience all the features of both the Villas and The Westin Kierland Resort. I hope to see you back very soon.

Scott Caldwell

Write a ReviewReviews (1,577)

Reviewed 20 December 2013

We stayed at the villas for the 2nd time a few weeks ago. Love the room, location, facilities which are all well-covered in other reviews. If we were just a couple I think we'd be pretty happy staying here and even buying into the vacation club/timeshare.

As a family, though, we have to put kids in the living room to sleep. And the living room is not very sound-proofed. The "lockout door" between the units seems to have zero soundproofing whatsoever. We could clearly hear crying or screaming from the adjoining room, well-past the bedtime of our younger child. The elevator "ding" is clearly audible. The carts from housekeeping and maintenance, stored nearby, bang down the halls early and late.

I guess the assumption is that families will get two units. That starts to get pricey here, I could do that in the main resort and be almost as well off.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank erb162

Thank you for staying with us again in November. I'm glad you enjoyed our rooms and amenities. I apologize the noise disturbed your children. We don't get many noise complaints, but do have some options if you decide to return. I'd be happy to discuss how we can address your concerns if you would like to contact me prior to a return visit.

Reviewed 19 December 2013

Stayed with family in the villas, location was great, easy to get to hiking spots, store, etc. Plenty for the kids to do, kids pool and waterslide are great .Also really enjoyed the lazy river, although there can be too many older kids splashing, yelling, screaming to call it a "lazy river". Close enough to walk to great eating and shopping. Would absolutely go back in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: Adjoining room layout is a bit clumsy, but it is convenient to have the option.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your great comments. I'm happy your family found so much to keep them entertained during your vacation. I look foward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

We have stayed here several times in the past and it always has been a great experience.
This time the pool was under construction and the area was full of dust.
At no time during our booking and several confirmation calls did anyone at the hotel tell us that there
would be construction at the resort.
If they did we would've probably chosen another resort.
We are SPG members and expect better service than this.
We also told them about our young daughters birthdays while we were staying at the resort and not one person made mention of it.
It's too bad it seems this one stellar resort has gone downhill a bit.

Stayed: December 2013
5  Thank lovetotravelboston28
Scott_Caldwell, General Manager at The Westin Kierland Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

I am so sorry your recent stay dissapointed you. We posted the construction notice on our booking site. I apologize it didn't reach you in time to adjust your plans. We are very excited to enhance our pools and pool decks. We are replacing a worn kool deck with upgraded pavers and resurfacing our recreation pool and slide. We have our other pool open and both pools at the resort available. This obviously impacted your stay with us. I hope you will contact me prior to your next stay in Scottsdale. I'd love to upgrade you and insure you regain your confidence in us. I'm available by phone if you would like to review this further.

Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

Great location to explore nearby attractions, malls and restaurants. Property is what you would expect from a Weston property. I stayed on a promotion and never got any pressure to sing up for partnership. Watch that service charge if you have dinners on property. Also, Scottsdale had à lot of choices for food. However, paying more don't mean the menu, cullinary skills or quality gets better.

• Stayed: November 2013

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your comments. I'm very pleased you enjoyed our property and Scottsdale. I look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 10 December 2013

Have stayed at this location several times over the years and always enjoyed it. This last stay (12/1-12/8) was the exception. We were there while one of the pools was under reconstruction. So the first day of our stay we were greeted by jackhammers all day and a plume of dust that drifted over any other usable outside space. There are two pools at this location, one of which stayed open during this work. People should not have been using this pool since they were breathing in dust all day. Management and the contractors should have done a better job of dust abatement or just bite the bullet and close the resort during this time. After complaining to the general manager on Monday we were sent a lovely screw top bottle of white wine, I guess $8 or so was what we were worth. For the rest of the week there was little jack hammer work however all week bricks were being cut and other machinery was in use. Management never made a follow up call to us for the rest of the week. Very disappointed in management especially since we are Starwood owners and have stayed here times before and spend a good deal of money at this property.

That said I would like to compliment the restaurant and bar service from Hal and Kenny, they always make us welcome and are great at what they do. Also had a very enjoyable hike one morning with Belal, he was a great guide and fun to spend some time with. Also appreciate being recognized as a return guest by Kris the shuttle driver. The GM Mr. Caldwell should take some pointers from his staff on how to treat his guests/customers.

May be time for us to try other Starwood properties in the future.

Room Tip: Make sure you're far form any construction, maybe at another resort!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank your for your past loyalty and for your feedback. When we planned on upgrading our pool decks, we tried to find the best window with the lowest impact on our guests. December is typically a quiet month around our pool decks. We did have several conversations with our contractor to try to mitigate the dust and noise, but I agree it was disruptive and dusty.

I especially apologize for not doing a better job communicating with you and offering better choices. I'm happy Kenny, Belal, and Kris helped make up for my mistakes. I hope you will let me make up this stay in the future, and come back to stay with us.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

Visited the resort over the Thanksgiving week and once again loved every minute of our visit. From check-in to shuttle pick-ups/drops to whatever requests we had while in our room, the staff was top notch and fulfilled ASAP.
Also loved the fact that the young lady at the concierge desk this time around was very attentative/helpful and wasn't pushing for another owner's update. The only thing that I can really complain about was the weather being too cold for our little ones to swim! Man, were they really bummed about that.
Anyhow, just wanted to say thanks again to the Kierland staff for being on top of your game! We had a blast and will hopefully see you again in the near future!

Room Tip: Ask for ground level if you have young ones. My kids were running around everywhere in the room and...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

I'm very pleased to hear you returned and enjoyed your vacation with us. I appreciate your comments about our great team. I'm sorry the weather didn't cooperate. It's in the mid 70s now, but you can never predict this time of year. I hope you will contact me if I can help with any future plans to return to Scottsdale.