“One of the best Westins”

The Westin Kierland Villas
Ranked #3 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Deposit, New York
“One of the best Westins”
Reviewed 11 March 2014

As Starwood owners, we have stayed at many of their locations. Our experience at Kierland was certainly one of the best that we have had. The staff was friendly and helpful. The activities were enjoyable.The golf course challenging and beautiful. If anyone ever has the chance to join Chef Jason Lee for his wine and beer pairing dinners, I am confident that you will be dually impressed and thrilled. Tony Miller also does a Reserve wine tasting dinner with Chef Lee that is also not to be missed. There were several couples at our dinner that had attended for several weeks in a row. Tony serves different wine each week.

Room Tip: Small one bedrooms do not have a full size fridge which we missed.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gerald K
Scott_Caldwell, General Manager at The Westin Kierland Villas, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
I appreciate your comments regarding your visit with us. I always like to hear from guests that travel frequently and am happy we compare so well. I will share your comments with Chef Lee and Tony. Chef joined us last year and has added several food events to our activities. I'm pleased he enhanced your vacation experience. I hope you will return soon.

Scott Caldwell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (510)
Regina, Canada
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We are Starwood owners. This was our first time at the Villas and indeed our first time using one of our weeks as owners. It was a very good experience. For the most part the staff were great, the service was great and we enjoyed the whole experience and will come again.

We had the standard smaller one bedroom unit. Some commentators have noted they can be rather dark since the only windows are off the bedroom. This is true but is unavoidable when you have a unit that is part of a two unit lockoff. We did not find this to be a major problem. The unit was clean, well equipped (we should have cooked more in the room and used the BBQs outside). The internet service was reasonably good - good be a bit faster. The room is only serviced once during the week - my spouse suggested that I should give a five star rating when there is no daily maid service but that would be unfair. Any complaints we had with the room were minor.

The bed was comfortable, the water was hot, the view from the balcony was great (we had a room overlooking the golf course), the room was quiet. Any complaints were very minor.

The pools and the general facility were very good - appreciated that there was lots of shade.

Generally service was excellent. The shuttle was great (and the shuttle drivers), the concierges were helpful, the service at the pool was reasonably prompt and the food was good (we only had lunch at the market one day but the burger was good, cooked the way we asked and the fries were great).

My only issue with service was on check in. I appreciate that check in is supposed to be at 4 - we arrived much earlier after a very early morning flight. The first clerk was sympathetic and said they would call us when the room was ready but no one ever did. We finally got into our room ( a bit early) after asking the clerk if it might be ready.

We went to Tony Miller's wine tasting and then the wine dinner. I thought they were both excellent and Tony's enthusiasm and knowledge were great. I only wish we could have brought more wine back into Canada than we did (weight limits and customs duties get in the way).

Over all a very pleasant experience and we will be back.

I should note that we did go to the owner's seminar but I don't believe there would have been much pressure if we had said no thanks.

Room Tip: Overlooking the golf course if you want quiet. Get a premium one bedroom if you want more light and...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
I was happy to hear you had a good experience with us. Thank you for your review and your comments. I'm always happy to read good words about our team. I do apologize we didn't follow up by keeping you informed about your room status. We do try to get our guests in as quickly as possible, and should have given you a call. Just for our readers, owner's have one clean as part of their ownership package. Our guests who rent a room receive daily cleaning.

I hope you will contact me if I can assist with your return to Scottsdale.

Windsor, Canada
Reviewed 8 March 2014

We are Starwood Gold Owners who were solicited by Starwood to come to Kierland at a special rate for 4 days to "experience" another property other than our home resort property. I specifically asked the Starwood rep on the phone if this was a ploy to try and get us to buy more properties with Starwood. I was assured it was not. We arrived on a Saturday and checked in. Our initial contact with the front desk check person, was very nice. Edward advised us that our room was a deluxe room, but he gave us the heads up that when we walked in, it would look dark because there was no window in the living room/kitchen area. He advised us that the patio was off of the bedroom. No other rooms were available according to him and he suggested we check the next day with his colleague Angela to see if something became available. We left the front desk and were directed to our concierge Melanie. She appeared pleasant enough until I told her that I did not want to attended a 90 minute "owners review" which we had already done within the last year. When I told her that we didn't want to attend, she replied in a stern tone "well that's really the whole purpose of you getting the promotional rate" and made us feel like if we didn't attend we were taking advantage of Starwood somehow. So we agreed to to take the presentation which in fact was educational for us and we ended up appreciating meeting Robert and George at SVO.

After checking in, we went to the room which faced the Golf Course. These rooms are what my wife described as "dungeon like" due to their size and lack of natural light. They are on the ground floor and the patio is a small area which is set back into the building and little natural light can enter.

After seeing the room, we went to the front desk the next day and checked with Edward's colleague, Angela, as he suggested to see if we could move or pay a fee to upgrade to a better room.

We found her customer service to be entirely lacking. We were very gracious and we were met with a negative attitude from her. It seemed that there was no interest in assisting us and that she was annoyed by our request. She did advise us that the property was 100% occupied and would continued to be sold out for our stay so there was no hope of getting out of the "dungeon".

The problem was not that another room was not available (which we doubt since we found out that the worst rooms were earmarked for persons who came in on a "promotional deal"), but, it was her attitude that put us off.

Starwood should recognize if you want customers to buy more properties, you need to give them a great experience and room.

The Bell staff were great and Eddie the shuttle driver was a wonderful young man. We checked out and went to another Starwood hotel -The Canyon Suites. There, we experienced what real service was all about.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Anthony G
Scott_Caldwell, General Manager at The Westin Kierland Villas, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
I'm sorry your stay here didn't meet your expectations. I'm most dissapointed you didn't feel we were empathetic or friendly with your requests. This is a very busy time of year, but we should never be anything but friendly in trying to find solutions. We only have two room types, and our smaller rooms are contracted for the offer you recieved. I was glad to hear your experience with Eddie and our bell staff was better and am happy you enjoyed your stay at The Canyon Suites. Thank you for your feedback. I will use it to help our team better deal with situations like this.

Sherwood Park, Canada
Reviewed 5 March 2014

While we were here, the VP came and stayed at the Westin Kierland via Airforce 2. He was at the main hotel while we were at the Villas, but we saw all his security swarming the place! The Westin Kierland is a spectacular hotel, with a beautiful entry lined with palm trees, and a breathtaking golf course. We stayed here last year, as part of the main hotel, but this year opted for the Villas which I understood were a bit more luxurious. Frankly though, I missed being part of the action over at the main hotel. We had about a five minute walk to get there which doesn't sound like much. However, its far enough that it precludes you from comfortable sharing the amenities of the main hotel even though you technically have access to them. For example, we mostly hung out at the pool where the Villas are instead of walking over to the better pool and lazy river at the main hotel, simply because of convenience of course. While the Villas are nice, you do forego the atmosphere of the main hotel.
The room we were accommodated in was fairy small compared to what we were expecting. The Villas are time-share suites, which you can rent out as well. There was not much spare space in our room once we pulled out the day-bed for our son. No room to play once the bed is pulled out. The kitchen is super tiny, with only as 2-burner stove and small counter space, and a small 4-person table. The room was fine just for a place to sleep as long as you kept busy in the daytime away from the room. It wasn't a place where we felt like hanging around much. Nothing very special about it at all.
The pool are was fine, we liked that there was a little kiddie pool as well. The water could have been kept a bit warmer. A little waterslide but they were very strict that if your child was over 36" then they had to ride alone. Our son is very tall for his age, but they were insistent he ride alone even though he is only 2. He did not want to go alone, and so we could not use the slide which was disappointing. He would have gladly gone on my husband's lap, but they would not allow that.
The area where the hotel is located is great. Close to shopping and fine restaurants, and a good location for a sightseeing base as well.
We went to the Phoenix Botanical gardens, hiking the Hole in the Rock by the botanical gardens, the Scottsdale train park, Butterfly World, shopping, etc. Lots to do in Phoenix/ Scottsdale especially if you do your homework and make some plans. We didn't have nearly enough time to do all the things we wanted to do/ all the things that were available to do.
The main hotel has a bagpipe player at 5:30 PM. If you have dinner at Nellie Cashman's, you can be seated outside with a view of the player. The food here is better than the pub-style fare served where the majority of the outdoor seating is located. They have a few snakes on display in the main hotel, and you can plan to see the snake feeding at specific times. The lobby area of the main hotel is really nice with a cascading water fountain.
In the Villas, there is one restaurant and the food is average. When we ate at Nellie Cashman's in person, the meal was fine. However, the following night my husband called in our order which we picked up to bring back to the Villas. The meal was less-than-spectacular. The turkey pot pie (which we had the night before and really enjoyed) was presented in an unappealing fashion and less tastly. They did not provide and bread/ dip with out takeout order, like we received when we dined in person. My husband ordered the stir-fry and was thoroghly disappointed. When I looked at his plate of food, it looked like some old leftovers thrown together on a plate. It was actually a bit shocking to see his meal, I wondered how that was allowed to escape the kitchen. It was like something you would eat at a 2-star old diner on a roadtrip in the middle of nowhere.
The Villas have their own gym, and the main hotel has a gym as well. I liked the gym at the main hotel.
Even though our stay was fine, I don't think we would return to the Villas. We would stay at the main hotel if we return again. After all, how many hotels in Scottsdale are good enough for the VP?! The main hotel is lovely, but the Villas lack the ambience and amenities of the main hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed on the top floor and faced the pool area. Our room was quiet.
Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Scott_Caldwell, General Manager at The Westin Kierland Villas, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback. I apologize you found your room to be less than expected. I understand you enjoy the Westin Kierland Resort, but we do have a larger unit I'd be happy to show you when you next return to Phoenix. Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to share any additional comments or if I can ever assist you with a return trip.

Ocala, Florida
Reviewed 1 March 2014

My wife and I own here at Kierland and have stayed here often. I agree with the other comments about the service, staff and facilities. All first rate. After our stay 2010 I wrote a review and commented on a couple of things. First, the rooms and furniture at that time were showing wear. I am happy to report that now everything is in first rate condition.

Second I mentioned that we did not participate in the Owner's Update meeting because of some unpleasant experiences at previous meetings. (This meeting is where the owners are updated on program changes and also urged to purchase additional time share units or other offers.) This time we were treated with utmost respect and did not get the hard sell that had happened in the past. My wife and appreciated this professional treatment very much.

When our reservations were made last July I requested a room on floors 3 or 4 in Building 3 or 5. These rooms look out on the 9th fairway of the Ironwood course and are not blocked by trees. Plus they are very close to the pools and the main building. All in all - great view, convenient location. A few weeks before arriving I called to confirm this room request. When I checked in however there were no rooms as we requested. I know that it clearly states that a room request is just that - a request and not a guarantee. However it seems that some effort could be made to accommodate a room request. It seemed to me that no effort was made and we were just given whatever room was available when we checked in.

We stayed in room 6414 (Building 6, 4th floor). I was assured that this had a great golf course view. From the bedroom it did. From the balcony it was a partial golf course view and a partial view of the side of Building 5 and the balconies there. Not the worst view but far from the best.

As others have stated the wine tasting is a lot of fun. We did not go to the wine dinner this time but have in the past and it is worth the $80. One thing we did try was the Scotch tasting (at the Scotch Library in the Westin Resort). A bit pricey at $50 but again it was fun and we learned a lot about Scotch and tasted four whiskies from one distillery. Note that there are two Scotch tastings - one every Friday and the one we went to which is a couple of times a month on Thursday. The website has all of the details.

Besides the excellent golf there is so much to do in Scottsdale/Phoenix that we run out time before we get to do everything we want to do. We will stay a few days longer next year.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank stl82
I'm very happy to read your satisfaction with our rooms condition after our renovation. We do make an effort to place our guests in their desired room location. The majority of our room location requests are for higher floors on buildings 3 and 5. When we are unable to satisfy all those requests, we attempt to place our guests in a room most like that requested. I'm sorry we were unable to place you in the room you desired this trip. The resort's scotch bar is something all our guests who enjoy scotch should visit. Thank you again for your comments.

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 28 February 2014

I made my reservation on line and added in the comments that I was there to celebrate my 60th birthday. I assumed that no one really reads those comments, to be honest. But from the moment I checked in at the front desk, Andy greeted me with a warm smile and congratulated me on my milestone birthday. From there, I stopped at the concierge desk and all three staff (Jenny, Melanie and Alan) made a point to wish me birthday greetings.
I was there for nearly 5 days and no matter where I was on the property, be it on the shuttle or getting a ride from Brady in a golf cart, to learning how to muddle drinks (Muddle Mania Class) at the bar with Guy, everyone was not only wearing a smile, but also made it a point to say hello and ask how my stay was going.
The Villas are awesome as well as the grounds and scenery, but the friendly staff really took it to whole other level.
Best birthday ever! Thank you! :)
Jeanie

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank viaggio4me
Thanks very much for celebrating your birthday with us. I'm so glad you had a memorable trip. My favorite comments I read mention members of our team that made a stay special. I appreciate you sharing names. Come back for your next birthday!

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed in a corner unit on the second floor with balcony overlooking the golf course. Room was clean, well appointed with a large bathroom. Lovely 10 mins walk to the main hotel. The villas are within walking distance to Kierland Commons, a wonderful outdoor shopping centre. Service at westin Kierland was impeccable throughout our stay. Staff was always friendly and courteous. Already planning our next trip.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
I very much appreciate your glowing comments. Remarks on our staff's friendliness always make my day. Please reach out to me if I can assist in planning your return to Scottsdale and Kierland.