“Great to good”

The Westin Kierland Villas
Ranked #4 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 22 March 2014

It's a great spot for sure with nice property and location...rooms and common areas nicely appointed and maintained. I'd won't return as was disappointed by two things: 1. Rented a premier cabana and got such poor service...why not dedicate staff just to cabanas?...I got myself towels, drinks, rid of trash and own amenities (I realize not end of world problems)...not sure why paid the $200...not worth it. 2. Constant concierge sales pitches when asking for help from them!! Total wrong approach and completely cheapend the experience and reason we won't return...not interested in constantly defending my decisions to not buy a time share. Hello Phoenician!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Scott_Caldwell, General Manager at The Westin Kierland Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Thank you for sharing your comments. I'm sorry we didn't meet your expectations with the issues you mentioned. I'm not sure if you stayed with us at The Westin Kierland Villas or at the Resort. Our cabanas rent for $25 and $75. Perhaps you used the resort's cabanas. I will share your concerns with our concierge manager. Their role is to provide great service and you should never feel any pressure from them. I would be happy to talk more about this if you would like to call me. I hope we can regain your trust.

Scott Caldwell

Write a ReviewReviews (1,578)

Reviewed 19 March 2014

A perfect spot for spring training, dining, shopping and lazing around. We always thoroughly enjoy our stay here and are never disappointed. Great service. Great accommodations...particularly love the shower. Only drawback: the coffee machine is nearly impossible to master. The shuttle driver (another wonderful feature) said it is a common complaint and explained to us the nuances. Unfortunately we were checking out and didn't have a chance to try again. There are directions in the room but neither one of us could master the task. Our waiter at brunch was less than stellar shall we say...but the manager did right by us so no complaints.

Room Tip: try to over look the golf course rather than the recreational pool if you are looking for some peace...
1  Thank GeorgiBG
Scott_Caldwell, General Manager at The Westin Kierland Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

Thank you for your comments on tripadvisor. I appreciate your loyalty in continuing to return. We will revisit our instructions for the coffeemaker to see if we can avoid that issue your next trip to Scottsdale.

Reviewed 18 March 2014

My room was clean and comfortable. No problems. The hotel grounds are beautiful. I like that parking was free. They also let me check I at 10:00 am for no additional charge. When checking in that early, I had to take what was available, in this case it was a room with two double beds. Which was fine with me. My room had a small balcony with a golf course view. They had a bagpipe player on Sunday night which was a nice touch. I was there during baseball spring training. It seemed like a popular place for baseball fans to stay. An addition, the hotel seemed to have a lot of families in it. That was not a problem for me. There seemed to be plenty of dining options at the shopping area a short walk away. Be sure to visit the concierge before heading over for the list of discounts available for hotel guest. Overall it is a great stay.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank relax77

I'm very happy you enjoyed your trip to Scottsdale. I think you may have stayed at The Westin Kierland Resort. We have only king beds in our Villas. I will be sure to pass your comments. Please feel free to reach out to me if you would ever like to experience our property.

Reviewed 15 March 2014

We stayed two nights. We were in building 6 on the fourth floor and had a view of the golf course and mountains behind.
Check in and check out went very smoothly. The staff was accommodating.
We had one bedroom apartment. The kitchen was well equipped. Very large bathroom.
Due to the weather we did not use the pool.
Nice walk along the golf course.
Good shopping center nearby.

Room Tip: would not want a room with view of the pools or parking lot.
1  Thank mflyon
Scott_Caldwell, General Manager at The Westin Kierland Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

I'm happy you enjoyed your time with us. I appreciate your comments and hope you can return soon.

Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed for a week. We liked the layout,lovely decor and spacious feel. It was nice to have a washer/dryer,kitchen and fireplace.The location was perfect for us.It was great to have the malls nearby. The adult pool and hot tub were great. We meet many nice people at the pool area. It had a fun,camp feel.Many people were friends because they come every year.Prices were very reasonable in the resort and a very reasonable supermarket was across the street. The service was impeccable. Everyone was so friendly. My only bad experience was at Nellie Cashman's.
Peccab

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RoxyL

Thank you for your review on tripadvisor and for choosing to stay with us. I actually heard from one of our regular guests your comment about the "camp feel". I always enjoy seeing many familiar faces of our guests. I hope you will return soon. Please feel free to reach out if I can ever assist with plans.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

As Starwood owners, we have stayed at many of their locations. Our experience at Kierland was certainly one of the best that we have had. The staff was friendly and helpful. The activities were enjoyable.The golf course challenging and beautiful. If anyone ever has the chance to join Chef Jason Lee for his wine and beer pairing dinners, I am confident that you will be dually impressed and thrilled. Tony Miller also does a Reserve wine tasting dinner with Chef Lee that is also not to be missed. There were several couples at our dinner that had attended for several weeks in a row. Tony serves different wine each week.

Room Tip: Small one bedrooms do not have a full size fridge which we missed.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gerald K

I appreciate your comments regarding your visit with us. I always like to hear from guests that travel frequently and am happy we compare so well. I will share your comments with Chef Lee and Tony. Chef joined us last year and has added several food events to our activities. I'm pleased he enhanced your vacation experience. I hope you will return soon.

Reviewed 9 March 2014

We are Starwood owners. This was our first time at the Villas and indeed our first time using one of our weeks as owners. It was a very good experience. For the most part the staff were great, the service was great and we enjoyed the whole experience and will come again.

We had the standard smaller one bedroom unit. Some commentators have noted they can be rather dark since the only windows are off the bedroom. This is true but is unavoidable when you have a unit that is part of a two unit lockoff. We did not find this to be a major problem. The unit was clean, well equipped (we should have cooked more in the room and used the BBQs outside). The internet service was reasonably good - good be a bit faster. The room is only serviced once during the week - my spouse suggested that I should give a five star rating when there is no daily maid service but that would be unfair. Any complaints we had with the room were minor.

The bed was comfortable, the water was hot, the view from the balcony was great (we had a room overlooking the golf course), the room was quiet. Any complaints were very minor.

The pools and the general facility were very good - appreciated that there was lots of shade.

Generally service was excellent. The shuttle was great (and the shuttle drivers), the concierges were helpful, the service at the pool was reasonably prompt and the food was good (we only had lunch at the market one day but the burger was good, cooked the way we asked and the fries were great).

My only issue with service was on check in. I appreciate that check in is supposed to be at 4 - we arrived much earlier after a very early morning flight. The first clerk was sympathetic and said they would call us when the room was ready but no one ever did. We finally got into our room ( a bit early) after asking the clerk if it might be ready.

We went to Tony Miller's wine tasting and then the wine dinner. I thought they were both excellent and Tony's enthusiasm and knowledge were great. I only wish we could have brought more wine back into Canada than we did (weight limits and customs duties get in the way).

Over all a very pleasant experience and we will be back.

I should note that we did go to the owner's seminar but I don't believe there would have been much pressure if we had said no thanks.

Room Tip: Overlooking the golf course if you want quiet. Get a premium one bedroom if you want more light and...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

I was happy to hear you had a good experience with us. Thank you for your review and your comments. I'm always happy to read good words about our team. I do apologize we didn't follow up by keeping you informed about your room status. We do try to get our guests in as quickly as possible, and should have given you a call. Just for our readers, owner's have one clean as part of their ownership package. Our guests who rent a room receive daily cleaning.

I hope you will contact me if I can assist with your return to Scottsdale.