“Westin Kierland Villas is now our home away from home!”

The Westin Kierland Villas
Ranked #4 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We recently returned from our stay at the Westin Kierland Villas. There were six adults where we stayed in a 2-bedroom lockout and 1-bedroom premium bedroom units. Units are well maintained. We also love the fact that we had full access to all the amenities at both the villas and the resort. This included going to the spa and enjoying the first rate service. Besides experiencing what the Westin had to offer, my family also enjoyed the free shuttle service to the Kierland Commons shopping mall. This extended our options of where to eat. The restaurants we attended included the Deseo (at the resort), Mastro's Ocean Club, and Tommy Bahama's Restaurant & Bar….everything was great! We also enjoyed Westin's Grill 101 meal where we experienced 4 courses…. appetizers, salad, meat & seafood along with veggies, dessert and wine. This is our first visit back since we purchased at the Kierland Villas almost 10 years ago. I am happy to report that we purchased another week while we there..the last week available. As an Elite Starwood owner, this is one of the best properties in the Starwood portfolio. Glad we are owners….now own 3 weeks at the Kierland Villas!

Room Tip: Ask to stay in a villa that faces the golf course/mountains….less noise and more private
2  Thank Miami4me
Scott_Caldwell, General Manager at The Westin Kierland Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Thank you very much for your comments and for your loyalty. Our grilling 101 has been one our our guests favorite new experiences. I'm happy you gave it a try. We are fortunate to be in the midst of a great location. It sounds like you were able to see and do lots while you were with us. I'm looking forward to meeting you on your next trip.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

This is our 11th trip to Westin Kierland Villas. Obviously, we greatly enjoy our stays. Each time we are pleasantly surprised and pleased with the continual improvements made to enhance our patron experience. As multiple Starwood owners we appreciate this level of stewardship. The new pool surface is wonderful in style and function. The villas are clean, updated and our home away from home. There have several new experiences that have been added, to name a few, Grilling 101 - an intimate setting hosted by Executive Chef Jason, offering an ever-changing menu prepared in one of the grill clusters; Stargazing for kids of all ages; Scotch Library (in the resort) for a delightful tasting of single malt scotches; Beer Dinner - a fun dinner pairing a variety of craft beers with several entrees. The staff is what "makes our experience" each time. A shout-out (limited by space) to several of the staff - It begins at our arrival. Bell Captains – Alex, Craig, & Brady were very helpful and welcoming. Front Desk – Andy is the lead, and Alex & Brett play key roles. Concierge – Trevor and Vanessa are insightful in their assistance. Mike & Trisha in Food & Beverage are great. John as the Director of Fun, with Nicholas and Behlal, make our and other families' stays "fun"! New Executive Chef Jason Lee is a wonderful addition, offering many food combinations. Maintenance – Dennis & Jay were prompt and professional when their services were needed; as were the cleaning and landscaping staff. We are not alone in our appreciation as we have established many friendships over our stays with people from all over the world. We love this place and we'll return for our 12th visit this autumn.

Room Tip: We prefer a golf course view with our villa.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tom S
Scott_Caldwell, General Manager at The Westin Kierland Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

I'm very grateful for your continued confidence in returning for an 11th visit! We always strive to find ways to enhance your experience each time you visit. I will be sure to thank all those you mentioned by name, and look foward to welcoming you back this October.

Reviewed 12 April 2014

We returned last week from a one-week stay at the villas -- I have two young boys and the grandparents were in our 2-bd lockout as well. More than enough room for everyone and we loved the pool! We have stayed here before 3 years ago and at the Sheraton Oasis -- much prefer the Westin Villas to the Sheraton. Food, service, pool, and rooms are all better. Most importantly on this trip, the staff provided great service and solved any problem we had. Specifically, Dennis Berry in Engineering was fantastic! He went above and beyond. While he was in our room fixing a minor fan issue, we mentioned to him that the airline had damaged and broken the wheel of our BOB stroller, rendering it useless. Which was a bummer, given they are expensive and I was without a stroller for my youngest. He said "let me take a look and bring it to our shop". Off he went and about thirty minutes later returned with a fixed wheel axle! He would not take any tip -- told us to make sure to enjoy our stay and have a great time. So awesome -- the stroller was really busted. In addition, the kids club staff were great. My six year old enjoyed going there for an hour or so a day and participating in the poolside activities.
We were there in prime spring break week, and it was packed, but we were still able to enjoy. Full of families doing the same thing! We will be back.

1  Thank Jennifer L

What a great story about Dennis! I've already shared it with the rest of our team. Thank you for sharing your experience on tripadvisor. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 10 April 2014

This is the forth time we (family of four, kids under 5) have been to the Westin Kierland Villas, we obviously love the resort. So much works for us - we love the Villa style room (kitchens are a must with kids), we love the pools, the slide, the activities. The staff is friendly and helpful - especially the bellmen, who also drive the shuttle. They will do anything to make your stay great! We also love the market, and think the food (also offered poolside) is very good and reasonably priced. We like popping over to the Westin Resort for the spa, the pools (change of scenery), and especially sunset with our favorite bag piper. We love walking to the Quarter and Commons for dinner and shopping. We never get a car, we never need one! If I wanted to buy a timeshare, this would be the one I would buy. I do not feel overly hounded to attend a presentation when we vacation there.
However - I am worried about a few things. Compared to previous years, things seem a little off. I feel like the pool waitstaff is under staffed (one server for two pools? really? - don't get me wrong, they are working hard to make you happy, but two servers could make a huge difference) - I feel like the market does not offer as much as they used to, in food or other items. We LOVE the new cabana policy (not mentioning what it is...I want it to be a secret!), and love the new pool deck, but are unimpressed with the cleanliness of the pool deck. Let me be clear - it is by no means really dirty, but we used to see a crew out blowing and hosing every morning, and it was clear that the pool deck was not hosed off the whole week we were there. We love going to the Westin Kierland Villas (we just flew home today, and my four year old is already asking when we will go back), I just hope that I continue to be as impressed in my future visits.

Room Tip: All rooms are nice, Villa style with kitchens
1  Thank M B
Scott_Caldwell, General Manager at The Westin Kierland Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

Thank you for continuing to return to our property. I appreciate your comments and suggestions. I would like to address your concerns you mentioned. We haven't reduced our staffing in any area. We do have several servers but perhaps we had someone unavailable one day. We adjust our items we carry in our market based on sales, and I would love to hear any items you would like to be available. We are actully waiting on new equipment we have ordered to improve our decks and sidewalks. We adjusted our cleaning to be earlier in the morning to avoid disturbing our pool guests, but it seems we need to be a bit more diligent. Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to discuss any of these items in greater detail.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

I was not sure what to expect from this villa property. You are always worried about the dreaded timeshare sales pitch. It did come, we declined and by the end of my week I was curious. That is saying something.

The Villa resort is actually a gem, better than the hotel. The pools were great. The food surprisingly good. The coffee shop in the villa had really good food all day. The drinks were great and they did not kill you on price (because you can bring your own if you want).

The place is clean and perfect for families. My kids had fun going from villa to resort and back checking out the assorted pools, golf, tennis, and basketball courts The hit had to be the Flowrider where you can do some serious body surfing. Little known fact this equipment cost $6,000,000 and is host to the world championships. It was fun and unlike other similar aquatic devices was built on a trampling-like ground, so no one got hurt.

The best part about the week there though was the staff. Helpful, normal, cool people that really cared. These young professionals really made the stay complete. At the end of my week, I had to hunt down (Farmer) Ted to give him an additional tip for all of his work. He refused (until I forced it on him). Kenny was making some killer margaritas and Melanie set us up with some good recommendations for dinner (Barrio Queen, Sol, Greenplace, were my favorite)

The gym here is terrible, but the resort's is just fine.

If you booked this place with a family you got no worries. My tip is go to Buffalo Chips in Cave Creek for a great country bar with live bull riding. Great mix of kids, cowboys, tourists and locals.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank DudsyJ

I'm so happy your family enjoyed your vacation with us. The Flowrider continues to be a hit with our guests (both with and without children). I will be sure to let Ted, Melanie, and Kenny know of your comments. As an aside, we are finalizing dates to replace all our equipment in our Westin Workout later this year. I hope you and your family will return soon.

Reviewed 28 March 2014

first the staff was great and helpful. no to happy about the 10am checkout. food at pool side ok. parking could be a little limited. the grounds for the villas could have been a little more open, but with access to the hotel only 1/2 block away on the other side of the golf course it was fine.

the one bedroom are a little dark with only on window in the bedroom but it was very nice inside.

I would strongly recommend if you golf or not, One great thing both the villas and the hotel have to pool, one for "fun" and one for quiet. so great for families or couples. lot's of activities for kid.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for your tripadvisor review. I'm pleased you enjoyed your time with us. We do try to work with families the day of check out. If you have a later flight, we will be happy to store your luggage and allow you access to our amenities until your departure. I hope to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

As a SPG member, i was WOW'd by the exceptional service and friendliness of all the staff at the hotel. My family and I spent 5 days in a deluxe villa and it was wonderful. Upon arriving, our concierge Katie Locke rolled out the red carpet. Suggested restaurants and activities for our kids.
I would highly recommend a stay here !!!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Scott_Caldwell, General Manager at The Westin Kierland Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Thank you very much for your kind review. We value our Starwood Preferred Guests, and I love to hear comments about our team's friendliness. I will be sure to thank Katie for making a memorable experience for you and your family. I hope you will return soon!