“Great area and fabulous staff puts this in a rare category”

The Westin Kierland Villas
Ranked #2 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Appleton, Wisconsin
“Great area and fabulous staff puts this in a rare category”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2009

I have stayed at the Westin Kierland Villas last year when I travelled to Scottsdale in September 2008. The hotel is nice with beautiful views of the golf course and the surrounding area. The Westin Kierland Resort next door has bagpipes once a week which is a sight to see and hear. Activities are planned out for the week and there is enough for couples or families alike. Loved the classes on making mixed drinks and the beer tasting session.

The surrounding area has close shopping across the street at the Kierland Commons shopping mall. This mall has the stores facing outside with misters all over the place to keep the area cooler then the sun beating on you. During one Valentines Day we were at the Kierland Commons they had a romance valentine horse and buggy rides. Loved it.

The resort next door has a wonderful Spa (Agave, The Arizona Spa) with top class massages. We opted for the couples rollersage which is found only here. The service at the spa was wonderful. Other highlights of the resort is the pool and lazy river out in the sun.

Since we first stayed here back in 2005, we have loved going back to this villas 4 times in the past 4 years. Top notch service and we made friends with the staff which recognize us when we pop in.

More information of what I love about this villa at: http://www.jetsetlife.us/resorts/WestinKierland/WestinKierlandVillas.html

• Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JetSetLifeUS

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (504)
Broomall,Pa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2009

We recently exchanged through Interval Int'l and stayed at the Westin Kierland Villas from June 28th thru July 5th,2009. This was our second time at the villas . We exchanged here last year and loved it so much that we decided to go back. We were so impressed last year with the resort and especially the staff, that we we wondering if our expectations would be too high. Needless to say, they were not. The resort and staff are simply the best around!! Everyone from the front desk, to the bell hops, to the pool staff, to maintenance and cleaning are the friendliest, helpful group that we have come across. The Concierge Staff of Joe, Kevin, Chris and Pearl go out of their way to help you with whatever you need and are extremely knowledgable of the area. Just really nice, down to earth people !!
The resort is immaculate. The rooms are very spacious and spotless. The kitchen has everything you would need as if you were at home. We mostly used the hotel swimming pool because we really love the lazy river. It is only a three minute walk from the villas.

Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank Rens1
SoccerDad&Son
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2009

WOW WOW WOW!!! This place has it all! Everything you can imagine is at your fingertips; truly a resort experience. Stayed here for the better part of the week and never felt the need to leave. Great golf course, spa, restaurants, and most importantly a very knowledgeable, friendly, and professional staff. If I had the money I would buy one of the villas and move right in. I can't say much more about this property other than hospitality at it's best (I've stayed in Ritz, Four Seasons, J.W. Marriott's, etc.)! This was one of the best managed resorts I have stayed at and would recommed it in a heart beat. Loved it! A must stay while in Az. Also, as I say in all my reviews; I do not work for this hotel and have no affiliation with the property. I just discovered this site and am speaking my mind about all the great (and not so great) places I have stayed over the past year. It seems that there is a shortage of positive reviews on this website and I want others to know that there are some real Gems out there. For someone in the travel consulting business for over 10 years I have travelled to many locals and stayed in countless 3-5 star hotels. I will be commenting/backlogging my favorite experiences first followed by my unpleasent ones and will leave the ok's out of it (basically any place that made a lasting impression). Feel free to message me w/ any questions.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
3 Thank Soccer_Dad_and_Son
Tucson,AZ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2009

Spent the week at the Westin Keirland Villas in Scottadale,AZ and awoke the 2nd morning about 2am with something scurring across my neck and sholuders
in the heavenly Bed.
Couldn't find anything at the time so I assumed I was dreaming and went back to sleep. In the morning I found three med size cockroaches on the floor in the unit. I also noticed the seal around the exterior door to the unit had large gaps in the corners of the door. We were in a ground floor unit next to the barbarque grills in Blgd 7 and I figured this is how they were getting in.
I called service express and reported the problem with the bugs and the door seal. They sent a employee with a can of Raid Hotshot and he sprayed the areas around the doors and walls. I pointed out the gaps in the seal and told him i belived this is where they were getting in. He agreed and said he would let maintenance know about it. When we returned to the unit that evening It was dark and I didn't notice if the gaps were corrected or not.
Next day I could see light coming in so I knew it had not been fixed but I didn't find any bugs. I started using a towel to seal around the bottom of the door befor going to bed each night to prevent anymore intrusions.
Second to last night of our stay the towel didn't get placed around the bottom of the door. In the morning I found 2 cockroaches in the throws of death on the bathroom and kitchen floor. Called service express again and told them of the continuing problem with Cockroaches and that they did not correct the problem with the seal. Same employee showed up with a can of enviromentally safe bug killer this time and he explained in detail how it was completely safe for humans as well. I moved his attention to the door seal gaps and he looked it over much closer this time and agreed it was the likely problem. He also noticed that the door didn't close fully against the seals when closed and promised to return and get it fixed. When we returned to the room at the end of the day it was dark but looked like it had been replaced. had a phone message from the resort manager asking if our problem had been corrected and to contact him if it had not.
In the morning no bugs were seen and I inspected the door seal and found the seal had been replaced but one corner still had a smaller gap present.
It was checkout day and time to go home.
I liked the resort alot but having a cockroach run across me in the middle of the night and the resorts failure to fix it right the first time was unacceptable.
I'm just glad it happened to me and not my wife or guests.

Palo Alto, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2009

I always wonder on tripadvisor when someone write a glowing review if they are a plant from the hotel/resort, so, I'll start with the negative...there were a ton of kids and it was a little noisy by the main pool (well, duh, it was Memorial Day weekend when I got there...of course there were families, and there was an adult pool if I needed more quiet).

As for the villas, we had a 1 bedroom 1 bathroom, living room, and small kitchenette (which was more than enough for what we needed to do). You need another negative, it's easy, they need to go plasma or LCD television if they really want to be perfect, but, I didn't turn on the television one time while I was there so I didn't care.

The villa was spotless, the grounds were colorful and well kept, the pools excellent, the staff smiling and always helpful (they were so good about smiling and saying hello that I actually felt guilty having my iPod playing because I wanted to be able to smile and greet them back!). I loved this place and the experience and I am absolutely going back! And, I don't even play golf, if I did I bet you that I'd be even more glowing about it because the golf course looked beautiful. Oh, and the wildlife, birds, rabbits, etc were just a pleasure to watch.

Now, to be honest, I did get a phenomenal deal, I spent $400 for the week by buying a timeshare for someone who couldn't use it but, even if I spent the retail amount ($1300) I'd still be saying that this place was absolutely wonderful. I will absolutely be back!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank rick94301
staten island, nyc, ny
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2009

Stayed a week at this Westin. Vills's are clean and well appointed. My problem was with the grounds keeping. Walk ways and pool areas are cover with bird droppings and berries and leaves that drop from the over hanging trees. Pool furniture also spattered with bird droppings. No effort was made the entire week to wash down the pool area (walkways or furnitue). Maintenance men worked during the day cleaning leaves with blowers, brooms & shovels while people are at the pool; these men would use blowers blowing dust all around the pool area while people were lounging. I was visiting with 6 grand children (10,8, 6, 5, 2 & 14 month old children). It was an effort to keep them from touching anything splattered and continuosly washing their hands. It might be worth mentioning; they have no stand along ovens in the villas; they only offer a convection microwave making cooking for a family difficult. During the week we visited the parking lot was being resurfaced making parking a night mare. At times you had to park in a lot opposite your villa and could not reach your villa except by walking around the entire perimeter of the lot; no cutting across; they left no walkway for people who had a problem walking any distance. Front desk received many complaints. Don't think I will be returning to this resort any time soon.

vancouver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2009

We stayed in a two bedroom unit for a week and enjoyed every moment.The rooms were large enough for two adults and two kids and were very comfortable.We had a third floor unit in building 5,with the balcony overlooking the Ironwood nine on the golf course and this was definitely the right side to be on.Ask for either building 3 or 5 if you can.As other reviewers have said before the rooms are dark and do not have sufficient natural daylight coming in.The whole design of the Kierland Hotel reminds you of a prison block and doesn't have anything to do with the Southwest.However the atmosphere is good and the pool and barbeque areas are excellent.
We have stayed at the JW Marriott Desert Ridge the last two years and came here for a change.The family's unanimous vote was to go back to Desert Ridge next time so if that is a help to future vacationers then feel free to send me an e-mail to go into detail.
Both are great properties so you won't go wrong at either one!
A special word of thanks to the club fitter,Dan Yee,at the Kierland golf course for the time he spent with me.There was an offer for a free driver fitting advertised at the time but he went away beyond that with his advice.Give him a call if you are golfing there!