“Wonderful meal, intimate setting”
Review of Il Bosco

Il Bosco
Ranked #243 of 1,276 Restaurants in Scottsdale
Cuisines: Pizza
Description: new pizza place new to the neighborhood. this is wood fired pizza. the best pizza we have had since Italy. the owner and 2 chefs are the only employees. it is quaint, personable, perfect. we have been 2x in the past week!
Reviewed 10 July 2013

This is a small restaurant. Although we had no trouble walking at 7:00 on a Saturday and getting a table immediately. The owner is friendly and welcoming. We were treated like old friends. We ordered a bottle of Chianti, we split a smallish Caesar salad. We were offered a chewy house bread with some delicious olive oil for dipping. The house cured olives were sublime. We each ordered a personal pizza. These pizzas are a little too big for one person which is perfect because we ate the rest for lunch the next day.
The pizzas are all good but the "Dona" is incredible. It is a relatively simple pie with tomatoes and cheese, but then it is sprinkled with crispy pancetta pieces which pop with a smoky flavor.
The crust is the real reason you have wood-fired pizza. Il Bosco's crust is perfection.
We will definitely be returning to our new favorite pizza spot.

1  Thank osodoro
There are newer reviews for Il Bosco

Reviewed 14 March 2013

Admittedly, I make food a big deal when I travel. Not just the "namesake" resto's, but the character driven places like Il Bosco.

From the start, I knew we were in good hands, as the owners were flexible in accommodating our reservation just slightly past when they normally do. On the owner/server front (turned out to be same person), it's excellent.

Atmosphere is small, quaint with good energy. Nice to see pizza's and food being prepared in open concept. Olives were nice touch, meatball appetizer was a hit with kids, and pizzas really stood out. Nicely charred, freshest of ingredients. I'd almost say they're not "purely" individual size, so 3 za's should make four people happy (with appetizers etc).

As mentioned, it's small, with a nice patio too. The slightest detraction for feeling a tad rushed, when others are waiting. It's no big deal, and certainly not enough to avoid this excellent restaurant. Final tip... maybe plan for a few cocktails and live music at neighboring HandlebarJ afterwards.

1  Thank cogman
Reviewed 27 January 2013

Ever menu item we had was outstanding , pizza, sandwiches, olives, unique beverages..pizza is the best in scottsdale, highly recommend

1  Thank Kt1228
Reviewed 21 December 2012

My first thought, upon arrival in Scottsdale, is to look for my preferred POMO PIZZERIA, a delightful authentic Neapolitan pizzeria in which we've had many happy meals. To my utmost disappointment, they are not where I was used to find them: I find out the Borgada is to be raised to the ground, in order to free space for a condominium development, sad news. Pomo's WEB site is still up, but nobody picks up the phone, they must be out of business. Desperate, I take a look at the TripAdvisor's pizza reviews for Scottsdale and find something new: Il Bosco, right next to an old favorite of ours, the honky-tonk Handlebar J. Without delay, we decide to give Il Bosco a try for lunch. Everything is miniature but tasteful: from the small space with wooden tables, to the wood burning oven decorated with tiles, to the cute little pillows arranged on the wooden banquettes for sitting. The owner/server is prompt to bring us menus and we decide to start with Caprese salads, followed by Adrianna pizza, to be washed down with a glass of Dolcetto d'Alba. We are pleasantly surprised by the modest prices (but then, everything looks modest once we are out of our City).

A bottle of chilled water arrives immediately, followed by some in-house made bread, very good, and some delicious olive oil. It comes from California, the owner tells us, we just tell people it's Italian. Just like him, he is not Italian, but he tries to blend in.
The Caprese are miniature (good for our waste lines) and come with additional delicious extra virgin olive oil. We quickly dispose of the salads and the Owner brings us some olives, this time Italian, he claims.

The wine has a very strange taste for a Dolcetto d'Alba, I have certain doubts about its provenance, but I keep quiet.
Finally, the pizza arrives: thin crust (good!), toping too liquid for my taste.

There is something about this place, a "je ne sais quoi" that leaves to be desired: is it the Caprese, in which fresh basil was substituted by some unidentifiable paste; or the soft toping of the pizza (by the way, why Adrianna, pizza with mozzarella, tomatoes and basil is a basic staple of Italian diet and is called Margueritta); is it the strange tasting wine; is it the fact that they don' have decaf espresso and when we ask for macchiato, we are told they don't have milk, I'm not sure. But I know it's unlikely we go back there

Reviewed 19 December 2012

Had a good time. Owner is very interactive. Menu quite limited,but good. Small space,but comfortable.