“Most attentive service We've ever had.”
Review of Medizona - CLOSED

Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Local cuisine
Good for: Local cuisine
Reviewed 21 January 2008

I found this restaurant in a AAA guide to Phoenix/Scottsdale. We wanted to try something uniquely local. Boy did they deliver!
The food was incredible. We had rabbit w/ bhaklava and scallops in a pastry with apple cream sauce, and those were just the appetizers. The blending of southwestern and mediterranian cuisine worked seamlessly. I've never had anything like it. The service was impeccable. A member of our party could not have wheat nor dairy and the server and kitchen went out of their way to accomodate her. The prices were very reasonable. We had 2 appetizers, gazpacho, 2 entrees and a glass of wine among us. The bill was 91 bucks. I HIGHLY recommend this place. Looks like the owner is clearly working to ensure a satisfying dining experience.

There are newer reviews for Medizona

Reviewed 9 January 2008

While visiting family in the Phoenix area, we planned an afternoon and evening in Scottsdale to shop and have dinner in Old Scottsdale. We found a wonderful little gem, Medizona, tucked away on 4th street, not far from the art galleries and jewelry stores of the old part of town. What a delight! The management was gracious, the staff attentive and very pleasant, and the food fantastic. The eclectic menu delivered on all the dishes our party selected. We sampled the rabbit, fig and pine nuts baklava and the eggplant tacos with lamb, arugula and cheese appetizers, two of the restaurant's specialties. They were delicious, and served beautifully. Our dinners arrived just at the right time, and were prepared perfectly (lamb that was tender and seasoned well). The wine list offered an impressive choice of well-rated wines at fair prices. We also enjoyed some after dinner drinks and coffees in the lounge, located across a quaint "alley" from the dining room. We talked with the hosts, and learned that the restaurant is re-inventing itself, which explains the work still going on for the decor, which should improve as they complete renovations.

Reviewed 6 January 2008

My wife and I visited Scottsdale from Phiadelphia. We like to experiment with different types of cuisine and Medizona is the type of place we enjoy, entirely unpretentious but with special attention made by service staff and kitchen for a memorable evening.

We tried the tenderloin and the lamb chops: both were prepared as we requested and served promptly. The wine list was better than expected.

The menu is way better than the decor, but the surroundings are tidy and eclectic.

1  Thank polarbear1967
Reviewed 1 January 2008

We visited this restaurant on 12/30/07. The service, food quality, the ambience, the attention to detail was absolutely non-existent. We complained to the server repeatedly and the manager without any results except: " I'm sorry about that". DO NOT GO HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jimmythewah, Owner at Medizona, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2008

I was at the restaraunt the night this party attended from Chicago. What we are doing at Medizona is revolution in Scottsdale dining. Our main dining room is still serving the award winning food it has for the last nine years. Next door in our new eclectic wine lounge, where we are hosting nightly events to bring together new art, music and ideas. On the 30th it was our first of such events. I will be the first admit and take full responsibility for things flying a little out of control. No excuses. I want each one of my guests to have a wonderful, memorable experience. I am truly sorry that you did not have the experience you were expecting.
We had not staffed the kitchen appropriately for the rush we encountered and we kicked up the music at 8pm which proved to be too much for the dining crowd across the hall. When trying new things sometimes you stumble. Lessons learned adjustments made. We addressed the kitchen staffing issues and the music in lounge is now starting at 10pm.
Medizona is a unique dining experience. Please join us and come see for yourself, we will take good care of you.
Coma, Beba, Sea Feliz

James

I

Reviewed 21 August 2005

I can not see how the TripAdvisor price range could possibly be 25$/person. Appetizers here are in that range. Entrees are in the 40+ range. There is very little on the wine list for under 45$. Deserts are expensive too. Ditto on the mixed drinks. Basically plan on 100$/person. Having complained about the prices, I would say that the food is very good, and certainly innovative. Unusiual items on the menu. But the menu is quite limited. If you like your meat raw, then order it medium-well. I would assume that if you order it rare, it would still be alive! The chef only knows 'raw.' The deserts are excellent. Possibly the best tiramisu anywhere. The ambiance is plain - not really elegant. The service is excellent. Medizona is in a class with Cowboy Ciao and the 6th Street Bistro, but a good 50% more expensive. There is nothing on the menu for vegetarians. Overall -- it really is just too expensive for what it is.

1  Thank TomScottsdaleAZ