“In a word, Excellent”

Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Paradise Valley
Cross street: Scottsdale Rd.
Description: deseo - meaning desire in Spanish - showcases Nuevo Latino cuisine, a pairing of traditional Latin American ingredients and contemporary culinary style to create unique, fresh and flavorful dishes that include a range of mouthwatering ceviches, grilled and roasted fish and shellfish, and a selection of skillfully prepared meats all with tantalizing South American-inspired marinades, sauces and sides. Complementing the menu is deseo's extensive list of South American wines.
Reviewed 6 June 2014

My wife and I recently visited Deseo during our Las Vegas and Scottsdale trip, and out of the twelve or so restaurants we tried this one was by far the best. We had reservations for a Friday night, but the restaurant was only half full (inside) at best. Outside it looked like a full house, but as yet I just haven't developed the ability to enjoy sitting outside in 100 plus degree heat. The staff were very helpful in explaining the menu as the majority of the items that accompanied the entrées were unknown to me. Taken right from their menu, I had the 'pan-seared halibut and toasted fideo pasta with the roasted cauliflower-spinach couli / yellow sofrito / toasted fideo' and my wife had the 'camaron enchilado with the jumbo shrimp / arepa / rocoto'. The words were unknown to me, but the word delicious I know well and this food was simply that. We had the chocolate cigar for dessert which looked exactly like a cigar and that was a delight for both the eyes and the palate.

1  Thank BigLarryLove

Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

We ate with a group of 20 and had great service and very tasty food. Large portions and a small but fantastic desert.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

If you're staying at or near the Westin Kierland, you really must try Deseo. There are multiple atmosphere styles in one restaurant -- sit at nice tables and focus on your companions, hang in the bar area, or sit at the rail and watch your food being prepared. Our party of six sat nestled under the fronds of a large plant, tucked in a corner by the window and an oak-y wall. Six diners, all getting separate checks, two sets of two diners sharing at least one food item and splitting the cost, some people getting entrees and others getting multiple tapas-like smaller plates, and they kept it all straight.

Well, mostly. At first, I thought I'd gotten one of my companion's plates, because the empanada had meat, and I'd ordered the ones with goat cheese. But nope, hers had beef, too. Our server could have whisked away (and tossed) the wrong item when we reported it, but he merely placed it in the center of the table for others to partake (gratis) and had my correct plate out in moments.

The food was spectacular. We all ate our own dishes (whether split or not) but also shared. My "small" shrimp chicharron plate was huge. I ate half and everyone else got the equivalent of a small side dish of the spicy yumminess. I got to try a teeny fish taco, someone else tried my empanada, and we all got to sample some magnificent tastes.

This was not an inexpensive meal. I had 2 small (tapas-like plates) and split a third -- basically, the equivalent of an appetizer and an entree -- and had a soft drink. With tip, I paid about twice what I'd probably have paid for a nice, upscale meal at home. But the service and food were high quality and the atmosphere ideal for socializing and dining well.

Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

Deseo's staff are extremely knowledgable, will explain in detail their Nuevo latino Cuban/South American selections, happy to make recommendations based on your likes or dislikes. The meals are complex, flavorful, unusual & delicious. We had the cerviches & the millionaire (lobster) yuca bite size tacos which practically melted in your mouth. I had the Camaron Enchilado shrimp for my entre which was devine. The sauce it is in has just the right amount of heat & was so flavorful. It is very pricy as you'd expect of a restaurant of this caliber but it will not disappoint. The Cuban cigar for desert will top off your meal with just the right amount of savory chocolate delight.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

What a beautiful room. Deep reds, beige & amber lighting are the back drop for this lovely restaurant to enjoy fabulous fresh food with a Latin flair. Looking out on the golf course is heavenly & serene!