“Great Trail”

29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Great Trail”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

This is a very interesting hike. Two of us did it in July. We started at 7:30 AM or so, and were done just after noon. We took the hike to lookout point (or something like that) but the best destination was Tom's Thumb itself. Trail is pretty well marked. As someone said, an intermediate trail. The only part I disliked was the steep decent. Take lots of water! More than your thinking right now.

Visited July 2014
2 Thank John B

Hamilton, ON
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Solo hike!”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I was in Phoenix on a work trip and decided I wanted to experience the real desert. I looked up some recommended trails, and found Tom's Thumb.

I hiked the trail alone mid-afternoon and felt perfectly safe, even though you literally drive to the middle of nowhere. I also still had cell service.

Ran into 2 other groups of hikers. Took about two hours to the peak and back, and I have to say, it was hot but nothing like hiking in a muggy climate which is much worse. The incline was the worst part of it. I had a hat, sunscreen & lots of water, so I was fine. Trails were also very well marked. I saw a desert bunny, desert chipmunk and lots of quick little lizards!

This is definitely not a beginner hike though. I would say intermediate.

Visited July 2014
2 Thank MountainMel
Scottsdale, Arizona
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Hiking”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Great place to hike from October to June depending on the weather.. There are snakes if you leave them alone they wont bother you.. The spring is wonderful with desert blooms and you will get a nice workout without mountain climbing

Visited April 2014
Phoenix
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Great hike!”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Do this hike the day after Christmas! First time we hiked up to Tom's Thumb then down the backside with views of Fountain Hills. It's steep on the downside with loose shale so be careful. Looped around and back to Gateway Loop Trail main parking lot..about 11 miles. Second time we reversed it..liked going up the backside better but by the time we were heading down the main trail there were lots of people coming up. It gets very crowded on weekends so arrive early!!

Visited December 2013
1 Thank aztravelgrl
Dallas, Texas
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Beautiful trails all year round.”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

The Landslide trail is the easiest one. It affords great views of the McDowells as well as the Verde River valley. The Landslide is very cool to look at and hike on. Take water but it is a short hike. Two hours total round trip. Rock climbers can find several good spots dedicated to them. In the spring (Feb, march, April) there are great flowers.

Visited January 2014