“A Most Interesting Place to See”

Butterfly Wonderland
Ranked #6 of 165 things to do in Scottsdale
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I must say this was a first for me -- a visit to a museum dedicated to showcasing, spotlighting, and celebrating the butterfly! What a novel idea! When I read that this attraction had recently opened, I was so happy that I'd be able to see it during our visit to Scottsdale. It is not a huge museum, but, what it offers is something that I have yet to experience elsewhere. Do not miss the 3D movie about butterflies. It gave me a whole new perspective on butterflies. I had heard of bird migration, but I had no idea about the journeys that butterflies undertake. Every time I see a butterfly, I will always remember this movie which gave me a much more informed appreciation of the wonder of a butterfly. The displays, showing butterflies at various stages of their lives, are very interesting. But, the highlight of the Butterfly Wonderland, in my opinion, is a visit to the atrium. As soon as you step through the door, you'll enter a atrium type environment, where the butterflies fly free. They are everywhere, and they are beautiful. Just as a reminder, be sure to watch your step, lest you accidentally step on the butterflies that are on the ground. I was so afraid of accidentally squishing one of these amazing creatures. There are also areas to sit in the atrium, so you can just sit down, relax and watch the butterflies. Employees/volunteers also are in the atrium and seemed friendly and open to people with questions. One employee handed me a paint brush with some sort of food/nectar on it that effectively attracted butterflies to alight and made for a most-convenient photo op. My husband also seemed to attract butterflies, even without holding food, because one perched on his shirt and stayed there for awhile before flying away. I'm usually kind of squeamish about things landing on me (flashbacks of lorikeet experiences from previous visits to the zoo), but these butterflies are beautiful and gentle. When you exit the atrium, an employee checks to make sure there are no butterfly hangers-on. The museum also has a bee exhibit and an aquarium area. This is a delightful museum, and, although it is not the cheapest place to visit, the experiences yielded make this a good place to visit and well-worth the expense. Butterfly Wonderland is also not too far from Talking Stick Resort and Casino, so after seeing the pretty butterflies you could venture to Talking Stick.

1  Thank aloha056
Write a ReviewReviews (1,151)

Reviewed 14 November 2013

We throughly enjoyed our visit to Butterfly Wonderland. The 3D Theater was the first part of our visit. The film is stunning to watch. All the staff were very helpful and knowledgeable, and happy to answer questions. The Atrium itself is like a tropical rainforest. For sure you will notice the humidity. You can stroll the paths between the beautiful colorful plants and feast your eyes on so many beautiful butterflies all around you. The pamphlet you are given as you enter has photos of the many butterflies you can see. The building has a Cafe. There is an area where you can experience the transformation of the Butterfly. You can also see an area where honey bees are in their hive. They have a gift shop also. I expect many visitors will enjoy this Exhibit.

1  Thank Pejncj
Reviewed 12 November 2013

First off the admission price was a bit much, but this was a trip that was paid for by my In-laws. If I was paying for it I would have been more disappointed.
First off the flow of this place is horrid. You are ushered into a 3D theater which is nice the first time around but if I had to do this every time I came I wouldn't. Then everyone is fed into the Emergence room where the Butterfly's are coming out of their cocoon's, Again cool.
BUT to your direct left are 2 big double door's right into the "cafeteria" then the OTHER door is to the Atrium. Yeah we were not told that. So we go through the Lunch area to the other so called attractions. The 3 glass aquariums to your right have a Centipede and the other 2 are empty because the animals that spend the night there there and in the exhibits behind you.BUT nobody tells you that so your looking at empty cages. Then to your left again there are 3 SMALL towers of Bee Hives.Its billed in the Attraction Pamphlets as a BEE EXTRAVAGANZA Yeah NO.
Then you move onto the "modern ant farm" Majority of the ants were dead.
Then you see a scorpion and taranchula...all of which can be found at your local Pets Mart.
Then your LAST stop is the Aquariums of fish from the amazon and a pool of Rays and the overzealous man telling you what no to do.
Now we have been to the Phx Zoo's Rays Pool and you can basically put your arm in to pet the rays. This guy's rules were 2 fingers to your knuckle and wait for the rays.And I think there were 4-5 rays... Yeah OK LAME. My 7 year-old asked to go back to the ZOO.
Then you are ushered straight to the Gift shop, How Convenient...
NOW as we back track through all of that we finally go see the butterfly's
Its nice and yes it's cool. I've been to the Butterfly experience In Denver and it was 100% better.
Personally as a family I would wait for coupon or 2 for one.
I'm not cheap by any means...But this was not worth the $20 per adult price tag.

2  Thank AZR6Lady
Reviewed 11 November 2013

This new attraction is amazing to say the least! The 3D movie is not only beautifully photographed but is educational as well. The atrium is a mecca of butterflies and moths. Beautiful colours, tons of photo opportunities each second and the volunteers were always eager to answer questions. A little disappointed in the bee hive display as it is written up to sound like it is equal to the butterfly atrium when in fact it is a very minute area of the facility. Being brans new I am sure they will get the other parts of the place up to par in no time. Well worth the admission. Spend time watching the butterlies emerging from the cocoons in the cocoon area! They are real and they do emerge right in front of your eyes.

1  Thank Mamlew
Reviewed 10 November 2013

My wife and her friend wanted to see this when we saw it off the 101 freeway. I was planning to stay in the car, but fortunately was talked into going inside. First you see a 3d movie about the travels and travails of the Monarch Butterfly which ranges from Mexico to Canada. Very well done and interesting view of a very complex species. The highlight for us was entering the covered rain forest type area where a wide range of colorful butterflies roam free, even landing on you if you are still and open to the experience. The butterflies are very active, and every where so be careful where you walk and sit. It was a great spontaneous adventure for us, and we really enjoyed it. We went during the week and around 10:00 so in our group there was probably less than 30 or so people which make it enjoyable. My wife is now planning her 2014 garden to be more butterfly friendly. Great way to spend about an hour. We paid the senior rate so our tickets were about $17 or so. Well worth it. If your grandkids are mature enough, this would be a great, short adventure. Take your camera as the plants and butterflies are colorful and close up.

2  Thank cabojim