“It's not a hotel, it's a destination!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Hotel Valley Ho
Ranked #6 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Charlotte, North Carolina
“It's not a hotel, it's a destination!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2011

Stepping back in time with all the modern admenties has never been done so well. Where the famous come to play and so can you. The Hotel Valley Ho is an incredible place to stay. Once you arrive you know that you have arrived at someplace special.

I was welcomed by several members of the staff and managemnt on arrival. The lobby is great and walking the halls you will see pictures and artifacts of the HVH's famous and historic past. The pool is awesome and the center of the outdoor activity. Don't be surprised if you see a wedding or fashion show on the grass lawn. Cafe Zuzu and the Spa areas are two places you don't want to miss. You have to see the rooms to believe them.

We had breakfast on the rooftop and the views of the mountains and city were spectacular!
If you are a fan of Mad Men, this would be a perfect getaway. Chef Wiley made an amazing breakfast and is a very humble man honoring his staff before himself. It was an honor to eat his food!

Mr. Chippandall and his staff won't let you down.

Room Tip: Studio Guest Room will not disappoint!
1 Thank Talonrock
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this review, 4 November 2011
Thank you for your wonderful review! I'm glad you enjoyed the grounds and lobby, as well as ZuZu and VH Spa. I also love having breakfast on the rooftop; it's perfect for special events. The Studio is a fun room choice too; I like the open style. Happy travels and we hope to see you again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (423)
Lexington, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2011

I was a little skeptical of staying here - but it turned out really nice. The room was modern with an excellent and spacious bathroom, complementary robes, and big bed. The garden are and pool were nice, however the pool was packed so we did not actually go to it. The spa services were also convenient and easy to book within 24hrs. Location is also pretty good - though we mostly drove to places. My parents live in Scottsdale and I would definitely choose to stay here when we go visit.

Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
I'm glad you enjoyed the hotel! We do have events at our pool on Friday afternoons and Saturdays in the summer (including April) and it is a bit lively. If you prefer a quieter experience, you will find it November through February and most of March. The Phoenix/Scottsdale area is most easily navigated by car, but you can also walk or rent one of our bikes to head to Old Town/Downtown Scottsdale, which has hundreds of shops, restaurants, and art galleries. We hope to see you again! Thank you.
Medford, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2011

I stayed here for 3 nights to attend a business meeting and loved it! It was my first time in Scottsdale, and usually I like exploring new cities, but honestly, the hotel took such good care of me I didn't really feel the need to step off the property. The rooms (I switched rooms after the first night because of construction across the street waking me up at 6:30 am) were large and comfortable. The bathtub was separate from the shower and deep enough to immerse my whole body. The pool had some floats in it that you could use, and I was able to grab one of the cushioned lounge chairs every time I went to lie out. There are two small hot tubs that, sadly, weren't very hot. They have a signature scent that they use in all their toiletries, and I love that there was lotion available in all the public bathrooms. I took a few soaps home in my luggage and now every time I smell that scent I'm brought back to that wonderful hotel.

One of my favorite parts of the trip were the 2 activities that the hotel planned at night. The first night some of the spa staff were on hand to give chair massages and hand treatments. The second night they set up a fake casino on the rooftop. Even though we were playing with fake money, it was fun to learn craps since the dealers were teaching us.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I'm glad you enjoyed your room and the pool! I will work with our pool manager to review the temperature of the hot tubs to ensure that they are properly heated. I also love the red flower toiletries. I'm glad you got to spend time on the rooftop; that's definitely a great place for a social event! Thank you for your review, and we hope you'll visit again. There is so much to do in Old Town that you can walk to, and much more to see around the Valley.
Alberta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2011

The Valley Ho took us in after the W fell short and what a breath of fresh air! From a last minute check in to an early morning checkout, the HVH was excellent in every area. The decor, design, and grounds are all lovely. The staff make the place even more superb! Everyone from valet, to reception, to cleaning all give off a great vibe and seem happy to work where they do.

Our room was very comfortable and furnished just as nicely as the main areas. Loved the bathroom design as well as the walkout patio area. Perfect at night to sit out and enjoy the surroundings.

The pool staff were very attentive and filling water glasses before we even finished laying out our towels! Service was excellent at the pool as well as Cafe Zuzu. Will definitely go back.

Room Tip: Staying by the pool is a great idea if you plan to hang out at the hotel - and you should!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I love the design of the rooms and bathrooms as well; I'm gad you enjoyed it! Staying near the pool is also great if you plan to spend time there. Thank you and happy travels!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2011

This hotel was recently, gutted and renovated and what an amazing job. They also added a new tower of rooms to complement the existing structures. The Valley Ho has been an icon in Old Town Scottsdale for decades and the renovation returned it to its original glory, so anything you read prior to this about the condition of the hotel nonsense.

The decor is mid-20th century, think 60's and 70's, but with significant focus on quality furnishings and upscale amenities. They did a very great job integrating contemporary furnishings with the old-school charm of this style hotel.

The staff is terrific, and clearly representative of the GMs mentality of expecting the best out of everyone on the team. The valet guys were super friendly, helpful with directions and always offering a bottle of agua (water) whenever we pulled out. I recommend you take it since it's so dry there. You can never drink enough water while in AZ!

The bar staff was super attentive as well, even when busy. I didn't get to visit the pool or spa, but other colleagues rated them highly. The pool area does have a great look to it though, as seen through my sliding glass door. I had one of the rooms off the pool with a great big huge patio from where I could sit and work after the days' meetings, etc.

ZuZu Lounge in the evening had a great vibe too. Nice crowd with a little bit of everything in terms of age and personality. They also have a great outdoor patio area off the lounge with a fire pit to warm beside during those chilly desert evenings.

The location is outstanding - only a few minutes from downtown, about 30 minutes from Sky Harbor Airport, 30 minutes from North Scottsdale and the nightlife and restaurants in Old Town Scottsdale are truly outstanding. You won't be disappointed in the area. There's also Scottsdale Fashion Square Mall within walking distance with all the best stores typically found in upscale malls.

If you're looking for a great hotel where you can relax and unwind after your days work, this is the place. Oh yeah, they also have wine tasting complimentary for guests during the week, and seemingly always have something going on. You'll love it.

Room Tip: If you like a more typical hotel room, you might choose the tower. If you want to enjoy the essence...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I'm glad you liked the renovation; we definitely put a lot of work into it! It sounds like you got to experience a lot while you were here. Thank you for the great review and we hope you will visit again!
Seattle WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2011

I stayed at this hotel for a business meeting and it was great -- loved the guest room and meeting space. I would come back for leisure for sure it is a great location close to DT and a lot of great shopping and eating. The hotel has a great feel and wonderful pool and outdoor seating area. Close to the airport was a bonus!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
I'm glad you enjoyed your room as well as the meeting space you utilized. I definitely recommend coming back for a leisure visit. There is so much to do in Old Town and around the Valley! Thank you and we hope to see you again.
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2011

Just came back from a 4 day stay at the Valley Ho for a conference. And while I really did like the hotel a lot, and would probably still recommend it, I would also say that you should watch out for a couple of less-than-ideal issues.

Junk Fees: OK, the group rate I received for the conference was very good. But when I checked out, I was disappointed to see several fees tacked on, which I would consider "junk" fees. $3 a day for "Chambermaid", $10 upon check-in for "Porterage". I carried my own bag up to my room! And I certainly expected maid service to come with the room!

It's not a big amount of money, but I hate this approach! It just ends up making me feel like I got "nickled and dimed." Come on, Hotel Valley Ho -- if you can't sell a room for a certain price, than be honest about it and raise the rates. Don't try to sneak in the little extra fees after the fact.

Wireless Internet: I was at the hotel for a digital media conference. In other words, many people using the wireless at the same time. It rarely worked for me, dropped the signal constantly, and was generally slow and unreliable. Not ideal if you're trying to get work done.

Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Clembox
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this review, 20 October 2011
Let me begin by thanking you for attending the conference and staying with us. Group room rates and service fees are negotiated based on a number of items and vary by each individual conference. The bellman and chambermaid fees are fully disclosed in the conference agreement that the group contact executed. It also notes that it is the responsibility of the group contact to inform attendees of these charges. However, all phone-in reservations made are apprised of these fees during the reservation process. Some groups do elect to have the fees rolled into the room rate, but this conference did not request that option. In regards to the Internet challenges, we extended the option to have an additional data pipe (more bandwidth) brought in for the conference, but the option was not secured. We have a 50mb data pipe, which is the largest of the hotels that we compete against. We have already begun discussions with the group for 2012 and the addition of extra bandwidth to alleviate this issue from occurring again. We are very sorry that this affected your work. We will make sure to correct it for future programs. Thank you.