“NOT WHAT I EXPECTED - TOO INDUSTRIAL FOR MY TASTE”
Review of Hotel Valley Ho

Hotel Valley Ho
Ranked #6 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
PATRIOT4657
“NOT WHAT I EXPECTED - TOO INDUSTRIAL FOR MY TASTE”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I love the retro theme and thought that this boutique hotel would be very upscale. I had booked a terrace suite for one night as my wife and I were attending a wedding reception there. I thought that the terrace suite would be great for entertaining if anyone wanted to stay past the closing of reception.

When we checked in we got to the room and noticed empty glasses sitting outside the door. We then walked into the room and noticed a stain on the couch with a wet spot. Apparently housekeeping tried to remove the blue ink stain but could not. So, not sitting on that spot while it is wet.

The room was spacious, but the view was less than desirable (side streets and houses). One thing I did not like about the room was the exposed block wall construction. I know it is a retro hotel and modernized, but I am not into the industrial look. Looked like a high end prison cell.

After the reception we went back to the room and the empty glasses were still outside the door. My daughter who slept on a roll away said she heard someone picking up the glasses around 11:30pm.

For what we spent on the room I expected something a little more grand.

Last complaint was that were told by the wedding party that Valet was free for guests of the wedding - even the valet guy told me that, but when I check out I was charged the $14 for valet. I told the front desk that we were told it was free she said that it was not in her system. I just wanted out of there so I paid and we left the Hotel never to return.

I would have rather spent my money at the Marriott JW Desert Ridge (something we as a family are accustomed to stay)

Room Tip: if want a terrace suite - ask for a view anything other that side streets
Green Features: Why is there a section on sharing environmentally-friendly practices. Who cares?
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank PATRIOT4657
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
I’m sorry you did not like the style of the Terrace Suite. It is a combination of brick and concrete block construction. During restoration we extended the room and created a wrap-around patio, and the construction materials and floor-to-ceiling glass were added to highlight the design of original architect Edward Varney.

Of all of our rooms that have a king bed, the Terrace Suite is the only room type that has partial concrete block construction. The original rooms have white brick walls, and the Tower rooms have drywall and wallpaper. Photos of all room types are on the website. If you prefer a room with a particular view, I recommend our Pool View Guest Rooms or Cabana Guest Rooms, which offer great views of the OHasis Pool or OH Pool.

I apologize that the glassware outside your room was not picked up quickly and will relay your comments to our in-room-dining team. I also apologize for the spot on the couch that was still wet when you entered the room, and will speak with our housekeeping director about this.

Valet parking is free for wedding guests, but that does not include overnight parking. That is why there was a $14 fee for your overnight valet parking. I am sorry that your wedding party did not explain this more clearly.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (442)
SouthWest
Reviewed 18 November 2013

The Valley Ho is a landmark and it has been updated for us to enjoy in all it's glory as well as reminise about the past. Love the upper floors and suites where you can enjoy terrific views. Also love it when they offer specials. Check it out!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
We appreciate your review!
Loyola, CA
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

If you like mid-century modern decor this is the place to stay. It is a short walk to central Scottsdale and the arts district. The rooms are comfortable with a lively vibe that makes just hanging out fun. The service is adequate if a bit over stretched at times.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
We appreciate your review! I apologize if service was lacking in any way during your stay. Please let us know what issues you may have experienced.
Port Townsend, Washington, United States
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Upon arriving at the Valley Ho, I was told by my co-worker, who had arrived a few days before me, that the pool had a magical fountain at night. Both of us have been trained and specialize in lighting, and were entranced by the lap pool at night. Plus the tiki theme... so much fun!
Other than that, I loved staying here and would like to return on my own time. The room and bathroom were spacious. I loved not standing in a tub to take a shower. And even that shower had a considerable amount of room. The bathtub was deep and the blue light shining into it really made my soaks relaxing.
The food at the restaurant was excellent, and all of the employees I encountered (from wait staff to maintenance) were very friendly. It was a pleasure to stay here.
I was a little cold my last night and wish there had been another blanket somewhere.
My only complaint was that I needed to iron a dress one night, and the ironing board didn't have a pad on it, and I couldn't add water to the iron without spilling all over the place. Ironing board pads and a little funnel for the iron... so I guess that means I don't have any complaints. Love it!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
I'm glad you like the pool lights! We just completed the OHasis Pool last month. I will pass along your comments about the iron and ironing board to our housekeeping director to see if there is anything we can do.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

Recently stayed here for a wedding. Pool scene was epic and ridiculous. If you're looking for a quiet pool, the Valley Ho is not for you. It was also during Spring Training so the mood may have been more festive than average.
Nonetheless, the hotels' rooms drown out all of the outside noise and are very comfortable.
Also, if you're an SF fan, this hotel is located very closely to wear the Giants do their spring training. You will find a "hella" friendly crowd if you wear black and orange.

Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay! We have Friday and Saturday OH Pool entertainment that runs from late spring through summer, and the pool is more lively during this time. The new OHasis Pool is a more relaxing alternative, with water features and towering palms.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I've stayed here a couple of times for work and it is a fantastic place if you are in Scottsdale. The hotel itself was built in 1957 and retains all the original charm about it. The architecture and furnishings are all retro to the 50's and 60's and staying here is like going back in time, in a good way. It is easy to imagine Frank Sinatra, Lucile Ball, Cary Grant, or any number of stars from that area hanging out by the pool or the bar.

The grounds themselves are amazing and the hotel consists of a tower with several two story buildings spread out around it. The rooms are spacious, have balconies that overlook the pool or grounds and are quite comfortable. And everywhere are fruit trees with oranges, lemons or limes growing while the air is fragrant with any number of flowering plants. The place is like a resort more than a hotel.

The pool is great with a bar and cabanas that can be rented or just sit out in the deck chairs that surround it, there is a spa in the hotel, the bar has an outdoor area with fire pits for the evenings, and there is a work out room that is much better than your average hotel.

Within about 1-3 blocks walk of the hotel are several good restaurants (not chains) so you don't have to get in the car to go somewhere if you don't want to eat at the hotel.

This place is not for somebody staying on a budget but the staff is very friendly and they will take care of you well during your stay.

Room Tip: Get a room in one of the two story detached buildings overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dave,

Thank you for your rave review! Our landscaping team does amazing work and I'm glad you like the grounds. Cheers.
Jackson, Wyoming
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I just stayed for 4 nights by myself at the Valley Ho. It was a last minute shopping trip. I thought the whole experience was a good one. I was hesitant at first because I would normally book the Kimpton or W b/c I am familiar with them. The room rate was just too good and the reviews were all positive so I thought I would give it a shot. Recently, I stayed at the Standard in South Beach and the energy at this hotel reminded me a lot of the Standard. The front desk was great, the bartender was extremely personable as was the restaurant staff and all of the pool attendants. I had several treatments at the spa and that was also a very good experience. The nail tech Kati was a find so definitely request her. I had one snafoo with the concierge and enterprise rental car shuttle but the concierge desk fixed it immediately and sent me in a private car to the enterprise desk which was 1 mile away. The rental car was $40 per day through the hotel which was 1/4 of the daily rate of the airport car rentals. Enterprise picked up the car from the hotel so I could get a driver to the airport. I was traveling alone and was worried the hotel would be too loud with pool parties, etc. It was not too loud and the pool was not too vegas-esque. There were a few bachelorette groups at the pool, but there were also families, couples, and groups of men that were probably on golf trips (they were not trolling just reading their kindles). Bottom-line - everyone was just so NICE at this hotel (from the valet to the spa staff) and there was just great energy. I just kept thinking there would be a catch as this hotel was extremely reasonable in price in every way - including the restaurant prices and spa prices. And it was close to everything. Whoever is in charge of hiring the staff at this hotel is a rockstar. I would also recommend the sushi restaurant at the W - it was delicious.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Thank you for your review! It's great to hear your comments about our staff. Many of them have been here for years, and they take a lot of pride in this place. We hope to see you again.