“Vintage Trendy”

Hotel Valley Ho
Ranked #7 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 21 November 2013

We stayed a week in a tower loft suite. Major screw up on check-in. We arrived around 2pm, were told the room wasn't ready that they would call us. We checked back several times, we were sitting in lobby entire time and finally my husband went up at about 4:10 to desk AGAIN. They said they tried to call us, but obviously did not call.

Room itself was great. There could be a little better patio furniture, the couch was pretty uncomfortable, but the kitchen had everything we needed. The towels weren't the best, but overall, we really enjoyed the room.

Housekeeping and maintenance of the grounds was excellent. Overall, the stay was nice, but the front desk should have understood that they are the first impression.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Unfortunately we cannot always accommodate early check-in requests; the guaranteed check-in time is 4:00 p.m. I'm very sorry if the front desk did not call you to let you know the room was ready; this is not acceptable. If you can let us know when you stayed, we can research this matter and review what happened with our front desk manager. We are in the process of replacing our guest room towels; our apologies there. We hope to see you again!

Reviewed 18 November 2013

I was in town for a wedding and the event was here. The reservations were easy and quick, the front desk was very helpful and got me into my room quickly. The bartender for the event was friendly and handled a large crowd so that no one waited.

The upstairs roof top was great and scenic!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

I'm glad you had a fun time at the wedding! Aren't the views from the rooftop great?

Reviewed 18 November 2013

I love the retro theme and thought that this boutique hotel would be very upscale. I had booked a terrace suite for one night as my wife and I were attending a wedding reception there. I thought that the terrace suite would be great for entertaining if anyone wanted to stay past the closing of reception.

When we checked in we got to the room and noticed empty glasses sitting outside the door. We then walked into the room and noticed a stain on the couch with a wet spot. Apparently housekeeping tried to remove the blue ink stain but could not. So, not sitting on that spot while it is wet.

The room was spacious, but the view was less than desirable (side streets and houses). One thing I did not like about the room was the exposed block wall construction. I know it is a retro hotel and modernized, but I am not into the industrial look. Looked like a high end prison cell.

After the reception we went back to the room and the empty glasses were still outside the door. My daughter who slept on a roll away said she heard someone picking up the glasses around 11:30pm.

For what we spent on the room I expected something a little more grand.

Last complaint was that were told by the wedding party that Valet was free for guests of the wedding - even the valet guy told me that, but when I check out I was charged the $14 for valet. I told the front desk that we were told it was free she said that it was not in her system. I just wanted out of there so I paid and we left the Hotel never to return.

I would have rather spent my money at the Marriott JW Desert Ridge (something we as a family are accustomed to stay)

Room Tip: if want a terrace suite - ask for a view anything other that side streets
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank PATRIOT4657
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

I’m sorry you did not like the style of the Terrace Suite. It is a combination of brick and concrete block construction. During restoration we extended the room and created a wrap-around patio, and the construction materials and floor-to-ceiling glass were added to highlight the design of original architect Edward Varney.

Of all of our rooms that have a king bed, the Terrace Suite is the only room type that has partial concrete block construction. The original rooms have white brick walls, and the Tower rooms have drywall and wallpaper. Photos of all room types are on the website. If you prefer a room with a particular view, I recommend our Pool View Guest Rooms or Cabana Guest Rooms, which offer great views of the OHasis Pool or OH Pool.

I apologize that the glassware outside your room was not picked up quickly and will relay your comments to our in-room-dining team. I also apologize for the spot on the couch that was still wet when you entered the room, and will speak with our housekeeping director about this.

Valet parking is free for wedding guests, but that does not include overnight parking. That is why there was a $14 fee for your overnight valet parking. I am sorry that your wedding party did not explain this more clearly.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

The Valley Ho is a landmark and it has been updated for us to enjoy in all it's glory as well as reminise about the past. Love the upper floors and suites where you can enjoy terrific views. Also love it when they offer specials. Check it out!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

We appreciate your review!

Reviewed 17 November 2013

If you like mid-century modern decor this is the place to stay. It is a short walk to central Scottsdale and the arts district. The rooms are comfortable with a lively vibe that makes just hanging out fun. The service is adequate if a bit over stretched at times.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

We appreciate your review! I apologize if service was lacking in any way during your stay. Please let us know what issues you may have experienced.

Reviewed 14 November 2013

Upon arriving at the Valley Ho, I was told by my co-worker, who had arrived a few days before me, that the pool had a magical fountain at night. Both of us have been trained and specialize in lighting, and were entranced by the lap pool at night. Plus the tiki theme... so much fun!
Other than that, I loved staying here and would like to return on my own time. The room and bathroom were spacious. I loved not standing in a tub to take a shower. And even that shower had a considerable amount of room. The bathtub was deep and the blue light shining into it really made my soaks relaxing.
The food at the restaurant was excellent, and all of the employees I encountered (from wait staff to maintenance) were very friendly. It was a pleasure to stay here.
I was a little cold my last night and wish there had been another blanket somewhere.
My only complaint was that I needed to iron a dress one night, and the ironing board didn't have a pad on it, and I couldn't add water to the iron without spilling all over the place. Ironing board pads and a little funnel for the iron... so I guess that means I don't have any complaints. Love it!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

I'm glad you like the pool lights! We just completed the OHasis Pool last month. I will pass along your comments about the iron and ironing board to our housekeeping director to see if there is anything we can do.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

Recently stayed here for a wedding. Pool scene was epic and ridiculous. If you're looking for a quiet pool, the Valley Ho is not for you. It was also during Spring Training so the mood may have been more festive than average.
Nonetheless, the hotels' rooms drown out all of the outside noise and are very comfortable.
Also, if you're an SF fan, this hotel is located very closely to wear the Giants do their spring training. You will find a "hella" friendly crowd if you wear black and orange.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay! We have Friday and Saturday OH Pool entertainment that runs from late spring through summer, and the pool is more lively during this time. The new OHasis Pool is a more relaxing alternative, with water features and towering palms.