“Retro chic”
Review of Hotel Valley Ho

Ranked #6 of 76 Hotels in Scottsdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I love this hotel! Before I'd ever even spent a night there, I was in love with its chic, retro vibe.

The Valley Ho sits a few blocks west of the thick of Scottsdale, and from the outside, it looks like it survived a time warp from the 1960s. But once you are there, you know that really, YOU are in the center of all that matters about Scottsdale. From the sophisticated décor to the super-cool and inclusive staff, as long as you are in this hotel, you clearly belong now to the A-list. You just know. And then you see the great, party scene at the pool. And the killer happy hour in the lobby. And a room that would please a star from "Old Hollywood". And you don't want to leave.

I first discovered The Hotel Valley Ho when its lobby happy hour topped a list of the best in Phoenix. That list did not lie. The brilliantly decorated lobby is sumptuous and serpentine, winding around from reception to the restaurant and flanked by openings to the inviting courtyard. Drinks were inventive and refreshing. The most amazing item though has to be the Prime Rib French Dip on a baguette. I like just making a dinner out of that. They must have over a dozen food and drink items on their Happy Hour menu...all for $6 each.

Their conference facilities are nice too. The conference rooms open on to a private large courtyard with lots of comfortable outdoor furniture.

And once, we saw a wedding taking place on the rooftop of their tower. What a great venue!

Room Tip: While the common areas are lively, the rooms are wonderfully quiet. Our room had a pool view and st...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GraniteRN
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Wow, thank you so much for your review! I hope we'll see you again one day.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,736)

Reviewed 8 July 2014

We've stayed in Scottsdale a few times and have tried a few different places over the years. this was our second time at the Valley Ho and we decided that we will never stay anywhere else. This is by far our favorite hotel in Scottsdale. Love the style, great service, clean rooms, and pool areas. Plus, the location is super close (walking) to everything. It was such a surprise to see the second pool! It was not there when we stayed a few years back. This was a great addition for when you want a quieter pool day, plus it was right outside our room :-) We can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank A_Doherty1978
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Wow, I'm so glad to hear we're your top pick for Scottsdale now! We added the OHasis Pool last fall. We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our 4 day 3 night "staycation" at the Valley Ho. Brian at the front desk was exceptional. This hotel renovated in 2005 returns you back in an era long gone. Built in 1956 and family run until Ramada bought it in 1969, besides the Biltmore Hotel in Phoenix or perhaps the San Marcos in Chandler this hotel exudes history. Like the Biltmore they offer a 90 minute tour of the property with stories of the rich and famous who visited this historical landmark. Unlike the Biltmore which offers a free tour, this one cost $19.56 (cute in referencing the year built 1956, but I'd prefer when time began 00.00). Valet parking and self parking available. We self parked at all times so I do not know if there was a fee for Valet or just gratuity. No resort fee--good, good. Self park on busy days (4th July) was challenging--use the parking lot off 68th Street--still have sidewalk access to courtyard and rooms. Circular pool crowded on the 4th with live band. Cabanas (single and double) available for a hefty price, but heck bottled water, Red Bull and a veggie plate comes with it. I think I saw a rap artist near the pool with his entourage but not sure since I have no idea what rap is. We had a light lunch in the ZuZu restaurant/lounge and the draft microbeer and burger hit the spot.
We stayed in a second floor king with the balcony overlooking the circular pool. Construction in 1956 was so so so much better than now. No, and I mean No noise penetrated those red brick walls (now painted white) at any time. Very quiet room. Even with live band and then the next two days a DJ poolside from 1 until 5 PM noise was never an issue for us. Very quiet and peaceful and I think these older rooms might be the best for that. A second pool exists--lap pool with kiddie pool separate but 30 feet away.
Platform bed was on the firm side, but fine. Red Flower sundries provided in the bathroom with both separate shower stall and separate huge soaking tub.
The wife very much enjoyed her spa package and would recommend it based off a very discerning back. Bikes available to rent from spa. More than adequate fitness room with a view of the pool.
Proximity is very close(walking distance) to all that Old Town Scottsdale has to offer. Restaurants, art galleries, retail, walking paths, shopping center, and souvenir shops abound.
Would definitely recommend this hotel to all ages and perfect for Arizona visitors. We plan to return before 2056.

Room Tip: Balconey room overlooking the circular pool was great choice for us.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Studio69

I'm glad you had such a wonderful stay! Though we don't have recycle bins in the rooms, our housekeeping department does sort both in-room and public waste bins for recyclable items.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

Always a great stay:) I keep returning and never disappointed. I did not like my upgraded room in the tower and they switched me back to the room I normally stay in. No problem. Excellent shrimp cocktail at the bar. I had to catch an early morning flight and was not able to have my morning room service breakfast. Usually very good.

Room Tip: Personally, I did not think upgrade to tower was not worth it. Balcony half the size and view was no...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
JesseThompson, Director of Sales at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

wentuc,
Thank you for writing a great review on Trip Advisor from your recent stay at Hotel Valley Ho in Scottsdale, Arizona. We are glad to hear that you are a loyal return guest and that we were able to provide you with an accommodation and location, that was to your liking. We hope you can visit us again soon, we have some great specials now through September!

Reviewed 2 July 2014

This was my first stay at the Valley Ho with a group of girls for a fun weekend. The location is perfect...within walking distance to popular spots. Service was excellent! I indulged in a massage at the spa and it was the BEST massage I've ever had! The pool was definitely a hot spot on Saturday. I'd recommend the Valley Ho for adults but not for families.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
JesseThompson, Director of Sales at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

henmel,
Thank you very much for your review of Hotel Valley Ho on Trip Advisor. We will definitely pass your great comments onto the spa team and we are so gald to hear that the 'girls fun weekend' was just that, FUN! Hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

Had to source a hotel for my organization's 3 day summer work retreat. Had passed by the hotel a number of times my morning runs thru Scottsdale on other trips and was intrigued by the look of the hotel and the reviews on TripAdvisor. Had our meeting planner reach out for a proposal and great things started to happen. First Josh, our main hotel and meeting contact - TOP NOTCH and literally bent over backwards without complaint for all of our needs and wants and customized a meeting plan just for us. The hotel is lucky to have him - great guy, true professional and so very patient! From the walk thru to the end of the meetings, everyone was more than accommodating and so so very professional and friendly. The rooms are exceptional - we had suites to standard rooms - all fantastic. Would say if you want a more exclusive feel, stay in the tower - a bit more secluded than the standard rooms. While the rooms are great, the bathrooms from the amenities to the special lighting are exceptional. I travel almost every week for work and this place has it all in a hotel (as versus a true resort) The meeting spaces were out of the ordinary and had windows and patio areas. The F&B staff were some of the best I have ever worked with. The banquet food was delicious - breakfasts really stood out - what a selection of fruit and berries! If you attend meeting you know what I mean - I am pleased with "OK" food at meetings - there was no "OK" here...it was great. Also took advantage of the fitness spa for a bootcamp class that was tailored to the fitness levels of the participants. Arranged it thru the spa director, Josh (yep another Josh). Not only did he arrange this class, he led it at 6 AM. Terrific! From beginning to end, I could not have asked for anything more. i am still getting emails from managers all over the country that flew in for the Summit thanking me for choosing the Hotel Valley Ho for our summit. One last call out as far as staff - Francisco the banquet set up manager..one word...wow! Between him and my in house meeting planner, the whole Summit went off without a hitch.
As far as staying here without a meeting - of course. You would really never have to leave. Between the spa, the fitness center, the pools and the restaurant and bar - they have it all and they do it so very well! Trust me - STAY HERE.

Room Tip: Tower is a bit more secluded if you are into that. The suites are exceptional!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank beatricepugzilla

beatricepugzilla,
Wow! Impressive and thorough review. Thank you very much for both the time and effort placed in writing this review of Hotel Valley Ho on Trip Advisor. I have already shared your great comments with both of the Josh's, Francisco, and the rest of the staff at the property. We truly hope your travels bring you back to the area again in the future.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

This hotel is like taking a swanky and funky trip down memory lane all the way back to the 50's or 60's. Every detail from the furniture and lighting to the drinks (gin fiz anyone?!) were completely authentic and fun! But, never missing out on the functionality - great free wifi, super comfy bed, nice chairs on the terrace and super coffee/espresso machine to get me going in the morning. Full mega bathtub (sorry I didn't have time to use it), nice gym - everything a traveling business woman needs to feel pampered!

Room Tip: I stayed in the tower and it was great, with a view overlooking the pool, but pull the drapes becaus...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
JesseThompson, Director of Sales at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Leilani L.,
We really appreciate your recent review on Trip Advisor regarding Hotel Valley Ho. We hope you were able to mix some pleasure with your business trip, and that you can return again before next summer....and check out the 'full mega bathroom'. Thanks again!