“A great upscale modern hotel in an unreal location” 5 of 5 bubbles

Hotel Valley Ho
Ranked #6 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Scottsdale, Arizona
“A great upscale modern hotel in an unreal location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2010

We had a group of friends stay at the Valley Ho and it was an unbelievable experience. We enjoyed our stay. The rooms were second to none, and their Vegas style pool was a blast! I would recommend this hotel to anyone. Cheers to the Valley Ho!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank bradjoe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (423)
San Rafael, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2010

I saw this hotel in the Historic Hotels of America publication last year, and since I adore mid-century design I was delighted to be able to book a room here when a trip to AZ came up unexpectedly. We checked in on a Thursday night during both Spring Training and Spring Break and stayed five nights.

Loved the architecture, the carpets, the colors, the furnishings. Very Mad Men. Our second-floor room was lovely. Very large and sunny with a private balcony overlooking a grassy landscaped area (I am always a bit dismayed at the preponderance of lawns in the desert, I just envision the Colorado River running while we all play on the lawn), a long counter top for all our accumulated c**p, a very deep bathtub with hot hot water (there goes the river again), and a bed that I found super-comfortable but was a bit too cushy for husband. No, there is no top sheet, just the duvet, which I find really comfy but it may be too hot for some. We slept with the sliding door cracked most nights.

The property consists of several buildings and I saw the reviews about the noisy rooms by the pool. Well, I can imagine that those rooms were noisy - we were here on spring break and let's just say some of the guests will be in rehab not a minute too soon- but ours, in building five, was extremely quiet, so if you are not a partier, ask for one of the back buildings. A short walkway leads you out to Trader Vics, which has a fabulous Ladies' night on Thursday (best deal in town) and every night has Happy Hour with delicious and very inexpensive appetizers (most $1 - $3, $6 for a full-size burger that was excellent.) There were locals in the lounge that drive there specifically for the Happy Hour, it is so good.

Tip: The charge is $12 per day for valet parking, plus tax, and unless you tell them you are done with valet, you will be charged for the duration of your stay. We parked valet the first few days but later found it easier to park in the Trader Vic's lot (you're not "supposed" to, but it's the same property and company) or on the street. But we paid for all five days. The valets are great with directions and always gave us free bottles of water when we set out.

The gym was top quality: ample cardio machines (ellipticals, treadmills, bikes, one gauntlet-style stairclimber), a good variety of weight machines, lots of free weights, and a separate room for stretching, yoga, etc. They supplied sanitized headphones, apples and ice water. Did not use any of the spa services. the spa looked nice but pricey and I was there for baseball, not a facial. did go for a run along the AZ aqueduct, which is just across the street and goes on for miles. Nice dirt running/biking path, lots of people using it.

The cafe Zuzu, in the hotel, had excellent breakfast, interesting cocktails, and friendly, but spotty, service. Did not have dinner there. One quibble is that there is no takeout counter for coffee and a pastry. Most hotels have a Starbucks-type cafe and I have gotten used to being able to just grab a cappuccino without it being a big deal. Here you had to order off the menu from a waitress at the counter, and she already had customers, so I gave up. The coffeemaker in the room was a silly Melitta pod thing that pretty much sucked.

I really liked the hotel. But here's the stuff that keeps me from giving it five stars: the in-room safe did not work and engineering had to come up - he said the safes were terrible and this was a common complaint. Fixed it though, and was there quickly. Coffeemaker horrible. No takeout coffee counter. Room's mini-frig was so stuffed full of overpriced drinks that we had to take out five or six bottles in order to fit in a couple slices of pizza we brought back from Grimaldi's. Would be nice to have a little room in the frig. Only three small drawers for clothes, so it was a good thing we had that long countertop.

And here's the real kicker: Two of the five nights we were there (Saturday and Monday) they closed the pool to guests at 4 pm for private parties. This possibility was not revealed to us at the time of booking, and when we checked in they mentioned it for Saturday and had signs up, but there was no notice at all on Monday. Both days we had been sitting out at a hot baseball stadium and were looking forward to a swim. Saturday we had about ten minutes to swim before they came around and rather abruptly kicked everyone out (and there were a LOT of people at the pool, being spring break.) One young man was not too happy and joked that he might just crash the party, and they said very seriously, "We have security." When I complained, the event manager told me to contact him the following day and he would set us up with some food or something. We had plans the entire next day so we never took him up on it, but on Monday when we walked back from the stadium all hot and sweaty, the pool was closed again. So we took it up at the front desk. The manager was very accommodating and gave us 50% off for the two nights. We asked if we could swim at another property and he sent us up to Sanctuary Spa and Resort ( a $700 a night resort less than a ten-minute drive away) and it was lovely lovely lovely. So they made it up to US, but I have to say, I think that a hotel in ARIZONA that closes its pool on what I can only assume is a regular basis (2 out of 5 nights for us, and at 4:00 in the afternoon) indicates that they have inadequate ballroom/banquet facilities. Note to the Valley Ho - there's an empty lot across the driveway and construction and labor is cheap right now. You could build another groovy round pool, and bar and a dance floor - whatever, and no more early closure and noise complaints about your pool.
If I were to book there again I'd make sure to ask before I checked in (and before the window for reservation cancellation closes) whether they have any plans for private pooldeck parties. Get a room in one of the back buildings and have a swingin' time!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank keeptahoeblue
Redlands, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2010

I just completed a 2 night stay at the Valley Ho for a work conference. Overall, this hotel is the bomb! The minute you walk into the hotel you feel like you have stepped back in time to the 1950's but with modern amenities.
My favorite part of the stay was the spa/fitness center. The fitness center is well appointed with equipment that looks out over the pool area. The fitness machines all have personal tvs to pass the time. I also spent some time in the spa with a facial and pedicure. All the spa staff were extremely professional and helpful. If I was staying longer I would have found myself back for more services.
The room was very comfortable and the bathroom was awesome with a very deep tub and mood lighting. How relaxing! My only complaint about the room was the coffee maker. It was a single serving pod type coffee maker and unfortunately the water leaked all over and I was only able to get a half a cup out of it. When I mentioned it to the front desk, the response was they were tricky machines and you have to get the water container in there just right. Probably not the right type of equipment to have in a hotel, I would have preferred to have a standard mini coffee maker that didn't require extra work to make it work early in the morning.
I ordered a couple of meals from room service. Both were yummy (hamburger and macaroni & cheese) and delivered promptly. Only complaint was the slow service in picking up the tray. I had to call twice to get it picked up. We at a couple of meals at Trader Vic's. Wonderful atmosphere and the food was good (although a little salty for me).
Would I hesitate coming to the Valley Ho again? No, I would come back for the spa alone!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank ntz4bbl
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2010

Downtown Scottsdale’s Hotel Valley Ho is my kind of place. It is a throw-back to bygone years when cats were hip and chicks were dames. The hotel underwent a full renovation in 2005, not to look more modern, but to look more classic. The staff is friendly and efficient. There are poolside cabanas available for rent. The rooms are sensational, colorful and comfortable. It looks like you’ve walked into Sinatra’s Palm Springs home.

The only Arizona location of Trader Vic’s restaurant is located on the grounds of the Hotel Valley Ho.

The Hotel is located on the edge of Old Scottsdale and there is a a trolley stop right outside the Hotel grounds. There are lots of museums, shops, and restaurants all wihin walking distance. The Hotel rents bikes and offers guided hiking trail tours of the local mountains.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank traveler309
montana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2010

First, I should admit that I'm a freak for mid-century modern style. But, I have to say, the Hotel Valley Ho just beats all! I found it online, and looked up reviews on TA which were pretty good, but after seeing the pictures, had to stay there. The place is perfection...the attention to every single detail is amazing, the staff are super helpful, friendly and truly excited about the Ho and its history, the room incredibly cool and very comfy, beds great, gel pillows wonderful, mini bar stocked to the limit, balcony great! But what really made it for me was exploring around the hotel, looking at the memorabilia, checking out the restaurants and bar...it is an incredibly well done renovation, the likes of which i have never seen! Workout room was great, and the gift shop just about broke me they had so much cool stuff!!! The GM is wonderful and loves to talk to guests about the hotel. If you can afford it, stay at the Ho, it rocks! I should also mention that we were there for new years and the place was really pretty quiet even though people were partying like mad!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
St. Wolfgang, Austria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2010

... and enjoy the style of past times. That`s a great hotel to relax and visit the Scotsdale / Phoenix area. Great room with nice open plan bathroom, really comfy, great pool with private cabanas. Very friendly and helpful staff. Top location in the "old" part of Scottsdale. Enjoy!
Super Gym with best equipment!!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Ballner
silverthorne, CO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2010

Did New Years eve at the hotel and had a blast. They really know how to through a party. The retro rooms are very cool to stay in.

Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple