“A perfect retro hotel with modern amenities”
Review of Hotel Valley Ho

Hotel Valley Ho
Ranked #6 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
New York City, New York
“A perfect retro hotel with modern amenities”
Reviewed 7 July 2010

Date of Trip: 6/21-6/24

Let me preface this review by saying I was staying there while the Yankees were in town, and I was attending those games, so I didn't take advantage of the spa.

I did however, love the rooms which were a good size, with comfortable bed. The bathroom was also great. The hotel rooms are spread out over a nice size property, with small 2 floor sections.

The pool scene was def a big part of my trip, and I'd give it a grade of A. Great area, and the waiter at the pool bar was on top of his game. Apparently, Saturdays is a big pool scene party, rivaling that of Vegas...too bad I wasn't there on a Sat.

We ate at the restaurant there, it was ok, but the hotel is in a great location in downtown Scottsdale, so finding a place is not hard at all. They also have a Circle K (think 7-11 eastcoasters) which was super convenient.

The only hangup I had was they advertise free parking, but when you pull up to check-in, valet is the only option they tell you about. There is a parking lot that is free that we found.

I would 100% stay there again, and would love to try the spa and see what kind of scene the pool is like on a Saturday.

Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (439)
Plano, Texas
Reviewed 6 July 2010

Just spent part of my 4th of July weekend at the Valley Ho. The food in ZuZu was amazing, the staffed couldn't do enough for you. My husband and I checked in July 1st 2010. I spent Friday enjoying the spa and shopping, all was going well. The action started on Saturday, the pool by 3:00 PM looked like Spring Break on MTV. The music was loud, the drinking was out of control. Security guards all over the pool. That should of been my first clue when we went to the pool at 1:00 PM. My husband and I could not relax in our room because the noise was so loud. We checked out by 5:00 and went to another hotel in Scottsdale. The staff was very respectful to our wish and let us check out with no charge.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dottielevine
spalover30
Reviewed 24 June 2010

My boyfriend and I headed to the Ho to celebrate our one year anniversary. We LOVED our room! I would recommend the "stuido" room that includes an elegant bathtub exposed in the room. You can pull curtains around the space- or not... We had a great view from our spacious patio of a grassy area which included a relaxing fountain. First floor allowed us to step right out on the grass.
Soon after we arrived, the hotel sent complimentary chocolate covered strawberries for our anniversary. So welcomed and delish- what nice treat! Thanks Valley Ho....
The room was so comfy that we just stayed in and enjoyed the final game in the NBA playoff...from the tub :) Relaxing experience all around.
Great idea is to walk from your room over to Trader Vic's (on property) and do a late night dinner. They have fantastic happy hour specials from 9-11. Check out the $3.00 burger with sweet potato fries. Insane deals! Yummy drinks too. Thursday is ladies
night, so we scored some extra special deals just for me...
We pre-ordered breakfast the night before to be brought between 8:30 and 9:00. At 8:30 on the dot a beautiful breakfast was delivered. Well worth it. Fresh berry and homeade granola yogurt parfait, delicious french toast..the list goes on. We enjoyed it at our table on the patio. Just watched birds and butterflies and listened to the fountain. Ahhh....
In the morning we hit the pool. Go out around 10 a.m. and it's pretty quiet still. It is such a beautiful pool. Voted one of the best in the world. Just a hip, retro feel to it all. Great staff is ready to set you up with what you need. Good music too. Loved it!!
We only booked one night as we were trying other hotels in the are. Next time we visit Scottsdale, the Ho is our only choice. Can't wait to get back!!

Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank spalover30
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 23 June 2010

The rooms are all fantastic and spacious for a boutique hotel. The staff were all great and attentive to the needs of 7 or 8 guys in town for a bachelor party. The pool scene was great yet under control. We even managed to make it for breakfast Sunday where all enjoyed what was on offer. The vodka / Bloody Mary bar is a pretty cool option.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
Conowingo, Maryland
Reviewed 17 June 2010

Our stay at the Valley Ho was okay. The staff seemed professional and dedicated. However, once we left, I discovered that they had removed over $500 from my checking account. Once the discovery was made, and calls were placed, their attitude in fixing the problem was nothing to brag about.
My first call, I was advised that my colleague had stayed on for an extra week, and because they had my credit card on file, all charges were on me. Even though their records showed me as "checked out," they were not willing to give my money back to me. MY MONEY. I was in another state when these charges were accumulated, but they would not budge.
My company became involved and asked me not to confront my colleague until they investigated further.
In the meantime, I placed a call to the MANAGER, whose friendly face appears with his personal office phone number on their web page. He never returned a call.

It turns out that my colleague stayed at a different hotel and produced a receipt to show that. It took about a week after PROOF that NO ONE was in the hotel room they charged me for before they refunded my money.
That leads me to wonder how often the rooms get cleaned, or if there is any communication between the cleaning staff and management. Wouldn't it have been easy to ask them if someone was occupying that room for a week of bogus charges?
I think of the problems it would have caused if I had taken the hotel's bogus word and confronted my colleague for charging me for her expenses. We probably would have lost our friendship.
And, after it was all done and said, Hotel Valley Ho offered NO APOLOGY to me for stealing my money and holding it for approximately one month for charges that were never accumulated.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank hallinmd
San Diego, California
Reviewed 15 June 2010

Stayed three nights over the Memorial Day weekend. Great deals are available during the summer, and especially over holiday weekends, since many of the locals leave town to escape the heat.

The Valley Ho is pretty much what we expected. It attracts the younger party crowd and the swimming pool becomes a raging party everyday. The whole vibe is hip, drunk, and fun. My wife and I knew what we were getting into and we enjoyed watching everyone have fun. I was blown away with how courteous the staff was throughout the hotel. They seemed to encourage people to have fun but they also enforced limits. There were plenty of doormen and security all around so it always felt pretty safe.

Bottom line, do not stay here if you are on business, have children, or are easily irritated. But do stay here if you want to have fun at a hip hotel.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank VegasBuff
Tucson, aZ
Reviewed 2 June 2010

We stayed at the Hotel Valley Ho for our anniversary. The rooms, the service from the staff and the restaurants were outstanding. Also, being able to bring out two dogs was fab. The concierge recommended a great pet-sitter for our long venture out Sunday afternoon, well worth the price. Overall it was fun, but, here's the downside. I understand why we had to sign the "pet policy" to keep our pets well behaved and quiet as not to disturb the other guests, but, there should have been a policy (and a $100 charge) for some of the humans staying there that distrubed our stay. Our dogs were more well behaved than some of the guests. 3 am in the morning and there was some loudmouth on their patio next to us screaming at the top of his lungs and then in the morning on the lawn, beer bottles and plastic cups littered the front of their patio (which we picked up after seeing them there all day). Luckily the rest of our stay was great, and I did note that on Monday the clientele seemed to change.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple