“Disappointing For Sure”

Cuttlefish restaurant Scottsdale
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Just had dinner at what we hoped was to be a seafood restaurant worth frequenting in Scottsdale. Unfortunately, it was very disappointing. The waiter started off quite good but really disappointed later in the meal. The mussel appetizer was OK but the mussels had a bit of an iodine taste. The chorizo gave the broth a very nice flavor. Halibut ceviche appetizer was fresh tasting but that was it, there was no real flavor to the dish and it definitely was underwhelming. My wife had the seafood stew entree and it was a nice portion but the fish had a significant iodine taste so was very disappointing. One of our dining companions ordered the seafood risotto and this turned out to be a seafood stew with some rice thrown on top, but nothing like a true risotto dish. I ordered the shrimp and scallops on linguine nero (cuttlefish ink used to make linguine black) in a spicy tomato sauce. When the entrees arrived they brought me the wrong entree and the server went back for mine. The waiter then came out and said that he had pushed the wrong button on the computer and the wrong entree therefore was prepared, mine would be out very soon. When it came out it was a nice size portion of fairly tasteless food. There was no spice to the tomato sauce, olives had no taste and there were 2 shrimp and 2 scallops for $27. The woman manager, at least I assume it was the manager, came by to ask how the food was, never apologized for the mistake made in my order, and nothing was done to "make up" for this error. I was not offered coffee or desert on the house and when the bill came there was nothing deducted. This is unacceptable and at no time did the waiter apologize for the delay other than when he initially stated he had made a mistake. With food that was so underwhelming and nothing made of their mistake I certainly do not plan on returning. Given the other excellent restaurants in Scottsdale I suspect this place will not last. Disappointing for sure.

2  Thank aztraveler5210

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Just walking in was an experience. As you walk in there is an oyster bar where Vespas(small motor scooters) are built right into the bar and act as your seats. The oysters were just about as good as I remember eating last summer in Victoria, BC. That says a lot!! We were there for restaurant week, which can be a hit or miss experience. This was a hit. I started with a half dozen kumamoto oysters. The other appetizer options were salad(enjoyed by our friend) and pork belly, which is always a winner. No exception here. I had the main course of short ribs, which were delicious. My wife had the lobster ravioli, which were also delicious. For dessert, the mousse was a winner. The pane cotta was barely ok and not finished. The staff was very friendly and knowledgeable and did a great job helping to pick just the right sauvignon blanc to complement the oysters. Even the coffee was brought before my dessert arrived which is a huge plus for me. Everything was great and we will definitely go back soon!!

Reviewed 18 May 2014

We made a reservation for Saturday night during restaurant week. Upon our arrival we were told that our reservation really didn't hold up...it was still going to be a 15 to 20 minute wait because they got behind due to being busy during restaurant week. Looking around the restaurant, however, they did not seem overly busy. First of all, they really don't have that many tables...and there were a couple that were empty. There were only a couple people sitting at the bar. And there were two hightops in the bar that were empty. We ended up forgoing our "reservation" and taking a hightop in the bar. This was at 7:00. By 7:30 we still hadn't gotten our drink orders in. Our server seemed quite overwhelmed with a table of 6 next to us. Finally a new gentleman approached and asked if we were waiting on our drinks and we told him that we hadn't even seen our server since he put water down. He said that he was now our server. ?? Okay. So we put in our orders...all 4 of us opted for the restaurant week menu which gave you 3 options for a starter, 3 options for a main dish, and 2 options for a dessert. We didn't get our first course until well after 8:00. It was a ridiculously long wait for 1 salad and 3 plates of pork belly. Luckily, the pork belly was melt in your mouth heavenly goodness! My friend didn't really care for her salad, however. The dressing was very hot (she thought maybe it contained wasabi and this was not noted on the menu) and it was just very basic and lacking in creativity. After another long wait we got our main course. All four of us went with lobster ravioli and lemon grilled prawns. Again, luckily, this was worth the wait. The lobster ravioli was divine and tasted very fresh...bursting with flavor. I could eat a whole pot of it!!! And the prawns were a nice size and tasted so wonderful...again...bursting with flavor. Finally was the dessert course with the choice of panna cotta or a chocolate mousse. Oddly, a food runner brought out 3 desserts and left me sitting without one. How could he know it's restaurant week and a set menu and not realize that we ALL get a dessert??? However, when the server came over (and by the way, our replacement server was great) I told him it was not a problem...I'm really not a dessert person. In the end, we were comped a round of drinks for our wait time, which was nice. But really, I've read so many complaints about their poor service...they really need to get it together! I have dined at several restaurants over the years during restaurant week and never had these issues. They should be more prepared. Which reminds me...2 different wines we attempted to order from the menu were not available because they are in the process of redoing their wine list. Um...shouldn't you make these changes in print before opening up to restaurant week?? I can't say that I will be returning to Cuttlefish. The food is definitely delicious, but I can go elsewhere (Tomaso's for instance) and get food that is just as delicious but with good service.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

I visited this eatery last week for a nice quiet lunch with my girlfriend. The restaurant is very clean, spacious and with a very simplistic elegance, with a one-of-a-kind oyster bar (the seats are actual real Vespas, the iconic Italian scooters!). The service was excellent, our waiter was efficient, polite and very helpful....and now the food : everything we sampled was truly excellent by many standards : quality, originality, quantity, temperature, taste and presentation. The cuttlefish with lemon aioli, the jumbo shrimp salad and the salmon/endive salad were truly very good dishes. The dessert was a bit deceiving, nothing really good about the chocolate "souffle/fondue", it didnt match the sophistication of the rest of the food. The Cannoli cake was moist delicious and tasty. I will come back for diner and sample the seafood-based menu more extensively...it is all for science ! I wish these guys well, it is a great location (expensive rent...) and i hope they can keep these quality till season comes !! a well done Italian restaurant.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

The service was outstanding. The menu is inventive. The decor is attractive. As I write this, I am trying to figure out why I'm not planning to return. Hmmm.

We shared the "Date Lollipops", which were fantastic - worth coming back to have again. They are stuffed with blue cheese and wrapped in bacon, with an agave sauce. FANtastic.

We also shared the Wedge Salad with a spicy dressing, and they were nice enough to split it onto two plates for us.

For entrees, my husband had the Lobster Ravioli. He said the flavor was great. But where the edges of the raviolis were pressed together, the pasta was a little thick and tough. I had the Clam "Pot Pie", which was really a clam chowder with grilled bread on the side. It was very tasty, but very salty. I almost never say that, because I am a salt fiend.

We waited quite a while between our salad and delivery of our entrees. It was difficult to understand, as late this Sunday evening it was not busy in the restaurant.

If I go back, I would sit at the bar, where the seats are little Vespa scooters. Very cool.