“VIP Service from arrival to departure...”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of W Scottsdale

W Scottsdale
Ranked #49 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Surprise, AZ
“VIP Service from arrival to departure...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2012

W Scottsdale is an upscale boutique hotel in the heart of Old Town Scottsdale. The location is perfect for shopping, dining, and nightlife. Rooms are modern, clean, and nicer than the average boutique hotel. We booked a room with a large walk out balcony overlooking the central courtyard. The balcony is perfect for relaxing or entertaining. Multiple couples staying in the same hotel can be tricky. All our guest were happy with the hotel facilities and rooms.

+ Nicely appointed modern rooms.
+ Fantastic location.
+ Service, service, service. Everyone seemed happy to be at their job and happy to help. This quality of service made the the stay. Thank you W Scottsdale.

- One set of bathrooms for 1500+ people on New Years Eve?
- DJ not prepared for a 5-6 hour event. Too many repeated songs and sound issues.
- $12 per day for wi-fi when I'm spending $500+ per night for a room?

What really sets the W Scottsdale apart from other hotels is service. Every member of the staff I encountered was friendly and ready to ensure my every expectation was exceeded. Details below...

VALET: We had several vehicles on property and even though it was a busy holiday weekend the valet staff always made sure our cars were ready when we needed them and helped with luggage/shopping when needed without prompting or hassle. Best valet staff I have experienced. Of special note is Miguel, who ensured each party received their car on check out ready for us to depart without waiting.

FRONT DESK: Easy check in and check out. No issues, everything as promised. A big thank you to the staff for ensuring items delivered over the weekend made it to our rooms.

BLISS SPA: My wife has been to virtually every spa in Scottsdale, NY, London, Paris, Las Vegas, and LA. She commented this was the best facial she had received and came back glowing!

SHADE LOUNGE: New Years Eve party at Shade Lounge (overlooking the pool deck) was the most fun New Years Eve party in memory. We made many new friends for the night and everyone was having a great time long after midnight. Party goers were dressed to impress and the performers and fireworks added to the excitement. The DJ was having some sound issues and repeated a few too many songs. Maybe and off night or maybe they will hire a new DJ next year. Regardless we rang in the new year in style and it would not have been possible without the efforts of our VIP Hostess Halley who arranged everything in advance for our party, from the magnum of vintage Dom Pérignon to the perfect spot for viewing fireworks, everything about the evening met or exceeded our expectations. Of special note was our table hostess Tisha who ensured all the guest at our table had exactly the right drinks all night long and we never wanted for anything. She went to extra efforts to ensure our night was perfect, including making sure the gas tank in our heater was replenished after midnight so our beautifully dressed ladies would not become chilled. Halley, Tisha, and every member of the lounge and bar staff we interacted with helped to make our night one to remember.

W Scottsdale: Highly recommended. We will be back.

Room Tip: The upgrade to the larger balcony or patio from the standard room is worth it if you like to lounge...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hi_Fi_Guy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Mapua, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2011

This is our 2nd stay at the W Scottsdale. We enjoy staying here, the staff are very friendly and helpful, the room whilst a little small is very comfortable. We love the location, an easy stroll to great shopping and restaurants. We will definately stay here again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bevchris
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2011

The staff is incredible and the rooms are exquisite. I was traveling for business and do so frequently, but never in my travels have I had such five star treatment. I not only plan on recommending W Hotels to friends and family, but am looking forward to my next trip as well!

1 Thank Becky C
Holladay, Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2011

First, the positives!

The W Scottsdale is a beautiful hotel. Very chic and hip. The staff here were first rate and very nice. It's in a perfect location if your goal is to be in the middle of Scottsdale shopping, bars, clubs and restaurants.

The cons...

This is an extremely loud hotel. It's certainly a place for the young and beautiful to see and be seen but don't plan on getting much sleep if you are here for any other reason than to party your guts out!

I had the misfortune of being booked here on business. I was also unfortunate to be given a room on the 2nd floor. After the first night of non stop "thump thump thump" from the bar directly below me, at 2:30 am I asked to be moved. I was given a room on the 6th floor which was much better. The hotel staff was very accommodating and I had my new room within 15 minutes. They even left me a plate of cheese and wine in my room the next evening for the inconvenience. Still, there were drunks running around and screaming until 4am each of the 3 nights I was there. (I stayed Wed, Thurs, Fri nights...)

To be fair, the W hotel chain doesn't pretend to market itself for business travelers. My advice to anyone that is going to stay here that isn't going to drink at least 20 cocktails or beers and run around like a drunken idiot is to ask for a 6th floor room upon checking in.

That being said, if you are here on vacation, this would be a great place to stay!

Room Tip: High floor to avoid the 1000 decibel bar scene...
4 Thank tuckiefried
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2011

We recently held our company Holiday Party at the W Scottsdale for the first time and it was a HUGE success. The staff was well prepared, exceptionally courteous and they catered to our every need. The hotel, in the heart of Scottsdale, was very classy with beautiful rooms that overlook a fantastic pool. I would also like to give special thanks to Halley Ross, Director of Special Events, for taking care of our group. Once our Holiday Party was over, we brought 50+ people upstairs to the bar/lounge where she had us set up with VIP seating and service. Halley and her staff were friendly and outgoing and they treated us like royalty. To the W and all of it's staff, thank you for an AMAZING evening!!

1 Thank jalankuj
Silver Spring, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2011

Recently stayed at the W Scottsdale for business. The staff & service are outstanding. The lobby bartender (forget her name) is FANTASTIC! Rooms are very nice and it's great that a hotel still has internet access options beyond wi-fi (my company has not allowed us to use wi-fi yet???). The rooms are very nice, however, the whole bathroom being basically in the bedroom would be a little uncomfortable if traveling with spouse/partner/family. The sliding Japanese screen door does not offer much in the way of privacy or noise abatement. Otherwise like all W's GREAT hotel and when traveling on business here I will definitely stay again!

2 Thank WhrAmINow
istanbul
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2011

Good location, chic ambiance ( I loved the glass shower tub) but poor staff quality and training. Do not trust any dining advice from the concierge. Great bell desk though. $ 1,500 for 2 nights and they still charge you for the wi-fi

• Stayed December 2011