“Drop it like it's hot...not so much”
Review of W Scottsdale

W Scottsdale
Ranked #49 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Considering this W is known as a party hotel, I wasn’t sure if my stay would make me hate everyone younger than 25. At XX years old, my party days are a bit behind me. (Don’t get me wrong, I can still drop it like it's hot. I just need a bit of help getting it back up. Don’t judge.)

I was soooo pleasantly surprised with my stay at the W. The hotel definitely has a fun vibe for the party crowd, but it also had a nice vibe for anyone who just wants a bit of peace and relaxation. I told the front desk attendant that I wanted a relaxing stay. She made sure my room was in a quiet area that overlooked the mountains instead of the pool area. Plus, she gave me a discount to the spa. The staff provided the high-quality customer service that the W brand strives for in each hotel.

For anyone who read the reviews and got the impression that the hotel was just for obnoxious, drunken idiots, give the hotel a second chance. There’s room for all!

Room Tip: If you want to relax, ask for a room on the upper floor with a mountain view.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank KMichelleM

Reviewed 8 July 2012

We recently stayed at W Scotts for ten days. My girl friend and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay, which included the July 4th huge celebration. Sure, W Scotts is trendy, but that is not all it has going for it. Every staff person, from the front door valet to the General Manager, could not have been more friendly and helpful.

Don't miss Maestro City Hall. Six blocks away, cab it. Melt-in-your-mouth beef and fish.

Take advantage of Scottsdale Fashion Square Mall, which is two short blocks away. Walk or cab.

24-hour pool. Great for swimming at night under the stars.

Two bars, one in the lobby, the other upstairs by the pool. Outstanding champagne by the glass or bottle.

Great spa on the lobby level.

Oh yeah, the room. I can't say much about it. We were too busy out and about. Who goes on vacation to Scottsdale, and then spends time in the hotel room?

You can't go wrong with W Scottsdale. Just tell them Jay from TripAdvisor sent you.

Room Tip: (room pics later)
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 9 July 2012

Hello, and thank you for staying at W Scottsdale during the Fourth of July! We love when our guests choose to celebrate holidays with us!

Our location in the heart of Old Town Scottsdale is fantastic, but the best compliment we can receive is about our Talent. I am so glad to read that they impressed you. Our General Manager, Ren, is extremely hands on, and is very passionate about ensuring guests have the best possible experience.

I hope to welcome you back to Scottsdale soon!

Reviewed 6 July 2012

Stayed at the W Scottsdale on June 29. First time I had stayed there and I was very impressed with the property. I had a bit of apprehension, as reading a few reviews left the impression that this was the place for the "hip, buff, beautiful, crowd"; and I am none of the above. Yes, there was no shortage of hip, buff, and beautiful people around, but the staff couldn't have been more hospitable and gracious to me. The Front Desk staff found me exactly the type of room I was looking for (king bed, quiet location), the Maitre'D at Sushi Roku (Russell) not only gave me some great insights on the menu, but some tips on nice restaurants in the LA area, where I live. Dennis, the doorman at the nightclub (Shade) treated me like a next-door neighbor. Very classy, very professional, and a very relaxing stay. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Requested a "king bed room in quiet location", and the room they found fit perfectly - I w...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank whiskeylad
Management response:Responded 9 July 2012

Hello, and thank you for staying at W Scottsdale! We do our best to ensure that every guest feels welcomed and comfortable at W Scottsdale.

I am glad you were able to connect to the Talent, and that we were able to impress you. I hope to welcome you back to Scottsdale soon.

Reviewed 5 July 2012

The W is the place to be in Scottsdale. The decor is trendy and sexy. The food is great, the pool scene is nothing short of spectacular. There are beautiful people everywhere, great music being played at the pool, and most of all outstanding service. I've stayed here 4-5 times and each time just gets better and better.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view room, you won't be disappointed.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Nima S
Reviewed 2 July 2012

Stayed this past weekend with my girlfriend. Travel quite a bit and am very paticular about the quality of where I stay. I found all staff I dealt with to be very exceptional. In particular Mike at the pool and Katie with our table and bottle service were great. The pool was fun on Saturday as we rented a day bed which I would recommend or a cabana. Only concern was the Jersey Shore types that were at the pool on Saturday but stayed away from that element. Would very much recommend this hotel and look forward to coming back.

Karl

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank karloklahoma
Reviewed 2 July 2012

This place is very upscale yet understated at the same time. I recommend the experience. The staff is beyond friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking pool are the best view of Camelback Mountain and downtown Scottsdale. Try to get o...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Jonathan T
Reviewed 2 July 2012

This is my third stay at the W in Scottsdale and they did not disappoint. It was my birthday; hubby booked months in advance. When we got an email advertising a sale, I called to see if we could take advantage of the lower price. Ryan in reservations was great and upgraded us to a spa suite. Fabulous!

We heard about the loud music, so when we checked in, we asked for a room far away from the pool. The spa suites are all on the second floor -- away from the pool but not from the music. Bobby the manager took us around to four different suites. While I was in the spa, he called hubby and upgraded us again! We felt like royalty!

Our first night, we went to the pool for a quick dip. Found out that all poolside area tables and cabanas are for "table service." But Jason the bar manager came to our rescue, explained the situation and let us use one of the cabanas for a few minutes. He comped my glass of wine and even intervened with security when I took one of their towels up to the room. The next day, he had a bowl of strawberries with dipping sauce with a personal note wishing me a happy birthday.

Everyone on staff went out of their way to help us celebrate. You better believe that we're going back again.

Room Tip: any room close to the pool will hear the music. The corner suites have fabulous sunset views.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Vickie S
Management response:Responded 9 July 2012

Hello, and thank you for your continued loyalty to W Scottsdale!

I hope your birthday was fantastic, and thank you for including us in your celebration. I will be sure to pass along the compliments to Bobby, Ryan, and Jason. They each do a great job really WOWing all of our guests.

I am glad to read that you will be returning, we all look forward to it!