“Trendy hotel for adult with super comfy beds!”
Review of W Scottsdale

W Scottsdale
Ranked #49 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed 19 April 2014

We are a childfree couple from San Francisco & love the W hotel there for it's cocktail lounge & trendy decor. So when we traveled to Scottsdale for a conference, we decided to try the one there. The hotel has beautifully modern decor & a nice sushi restaurant that has a great happy hour every day & all evening Sunday. We came on a Sunday & stayed through Thursday, so we got a taste of the 'weekend vibe' as well as the 'weekday vibe' - let me tell you its night & day! Mon-Thurs, the place is super quiet, & we actually loved it! We had the pool to ourselves & chairs & service was easy to get. It was relaxing & mellow ( although I kinda wished they had piped in some decent music like other hotel pool areas do). I liked that most people dress nicely & there were very few kids there. Its definately an adult, business -oriented scene during the week. On the other hand, the weekends are completely different. The poolside lounges at the W are gorgeous & the night time scene attracts a well-dressed good-looking, seemingly professional, mostly single crowd. I think what the W is striving for in audience, they definately get in the evenings on the weekend. During the weekend days however, the crowd is completely different: 20-something, drunk-fest, frat party pick up place. If you are looking for anyone older &/or more professional, I don't think this where you'd find it. At least during the weekend daytime. I am not saying we didn't have fun, but man, even though we are mid-30's & like to party, I couldn't help thinking this was not the crowd the W was aiming for when it designed the place. But hey, its a money-maker for them for sure! Oh well, the evening crowd makes up for it. Back to the hotel itself: courteous staff but despite their slogan for 'wish' or 'just ask', the concierge couldn't even get a stamp for me & when I requested toiletries that never got replaced by housekeeping....well, they never showed up. But thats small stuff. The rooms are nicely decorated & the beds were like sleeping on a cloud! But I agree with other reviews that mention the hallway carpets need cleaning or replaced. Overall, I'd come back but not on a weekend unless I was coming with a group of friends & wanted to party! Then this is the place.

Room Tip: if you ask for a quiet room when you book, you will get it.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jennifer S

Reviewed 13 April 2014

The hotel itself is nice. Nice room, beautiful pool area.
It's not a place for everybody. The music pounds in the lobby and at the pool. Inescapable. When we were checking in, A-Rod and a bevy of young "groupies" passed by on the way to the pool bar, which was jumping at 2 o'clock in the afternoon. Later we saw a bachelorette party group -- it's that kind of place.
There is no tv at the lobby bar. We were told there was a TV in the sushi restaurant but it was closing in 10 minutes. The concierge actually suggested we go out of the hotel and across the street to watch tv (The Masters Golf Tournament). We went to our room instead.
Comfy bed.

Room Tip: If you want quiet, don't get a room facing the pool.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Hello!

We are a very lively property with events happening on a weekly basis. The Living Room features more acoustic performances while WET and Shade Lounge have local and national DJ's performing sets daily and nightly poolside. On your next visit, reach out to our Insider Rachael for some recommendations to watch sports. There are quite a few spots around that are a better fit.

We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 12 April 2014

It is very important to know what you are getting into when you stay here. In confirming the reservation, the hotel sends you a note that "During weekends, W Scottsdale is a high energy, adult atmosphere. If you’re looking to live large, you’ve come to the right place! If you’re looking for a relaxing getaway, traveling with children, or want a peaceful environment, we suggest that you stay at one of our nearby Starwood resorts." But they don't tell you when you check in that if your room is overlooking the pool, you will not be able to sleep at night. My room was on the 3rd floor right next to the pool area. This meant I couldn't open my shade, as people would have been looking right into the room, and that there was loud music until 2am right outside my window. The option for a room change would have been nice. And the people screaming in the halls and banging on doors at 3am didn't help much either.

The W tries to be a modern, hip hotel. Really it is just dark and minimalist. The halls are dark, the elevator has flashing lights. The bathroom isn't so much a room as an alcove. There are no hooks or racks to hang towels or the robe.

All that being said, the bed is comfortable. There is a good wifi connection (albeit expensive). The Bliss Spa is amazing. Breakfast was very good.

Room Tip: Get as far away from the pool as possible.

Hello!

It's true; we are a very lively hotel. All areas of the hotel will have some degree of noise though we do try to accommodate all of our guests requests for a quiet room. The weekends are a little louder than mid-week with DJ's spinning on the WET deck and live performances in the Living Room. I'm glad to hear you did enjoy some parts of your stay and would love to welcome you back for another stay.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

The W hotel in Scottsdale never ceases to amaze me. I travel constantly for business and am here this time only for a quick 1 day visit. Personalized welcome by Dominique, Shannon and Taylor and a great stay at a fabulous spa suite. Wonderful band a la Buble in the lobby bar, chic crowd and friendly , cheerful and professional staff. Always a thrill to be here whether on business or with family .

Reviewed 9 April 2014

In town for one night on business. Great location, friendly staff, nice amenities including their restaurant. The lobby featured live music and a fun atmosphere. Room was very comfortable and had a strong wifi connection.

Room Tip: Rooms toward the back a quiet vs upfront over the pool deck where a DJ is playing.
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Holy. Wonderful. Experience.

I am a meeting planner based out of Texas and I travel all over the world hosting meetings and events. Being from Scottsdale, I was thrilled to have a reason to return home. In Jan 2014 I hosted a 3-day training meeting at the W Scottsdale and experienced some of the **hands down, best service - EVER**!!

The meeting space was exactly what we needed - set perfectly and the guests rooms were a hit. We did a "Welcome Reception" on the 2nd floor pool deck - amazing experience. The food was delicious and the staff was on point. The lighting - the music - the seating - the entire evening was a success.

The three days to follow were all meetings in the actual meeting rooms. The meals (different each day - each meal) were all very enjoyable. No one was at all put off by the meals. Pleasing a large group with banquet food for three days; not always easy! :)

Aside from great space and wonderful food - - the staff... Pretty much the Best. Ever. Every - Single - Person I came in contact with was amazing! Monica Lambert was the most hands-on, caring, easy to contact CSM on the planet. Brigitte Weglarz and her sister Heidi were beyond helpful dealing with all the guest room reservations and changes. Ricardo Vallarta and Rudy Antunez - Banquet Manager / Captain - PERFECTION like I have never experienced. I was honestly sad to leave them. Sean - our bartender and server throughout - amazing! Even Nelson Stickle from their PSAV team was fabulous! Seriously, this hotel's staff should get the "Best Hotel Staff EVER" award! Even Ren Hirose, the hotel's GM, made a point to get to know our group. That doesn't happen too often.

**My colleagues, who are not meeting planners, even committed on how wonderful the staff was. "Never before had they all had such a pleasant interaction with the hotel staff." They usually leave that to me - - so if the W Scottsdale Staff was able to impress my other team members - - that for sure says something!

All-in-all I would recommend this hotel to anyone and everyone! The location within Old Town Scottsdale is ideal to all. I have done MANY meetings with W properties all over the United States. This Staff at this hotel takes the cake. Every time I return to Scottsdale I will source this hotel. 100% amazing!!

Thank you W Scottsdale! I can't wait till next time!

**Oh, and I can't forget how they helped me WOW my clients with an impromptu Baby Shower. They helped me find and order a cake - set up a private space - and get creative with the "surprise" portion of the event! Amazing!! *Thank you Thank you!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 April 2014

This place is average. Of the W's I've stayed in this is one that I like the least. Rooms are tiny, staff is just okay. We were there for a business meeting and they were pissed I brought a soda into the room because I had to order it through banquets. Really?? Pool is cool and location is good. That's what kept it from being a poor rating

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Anthony C

Hi Anthony,

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I assure you we are always glad to accommadate our guests in any way. Bringing a soda that we don't carry is never a problem and it is unfortunate to hear that it came across that way. I am glad to hear you were able to enjoy the pool while staying with us and hope we can welcome you back soon.