“Another great celebration at the W”
Review of W Scottsdale

W Scottsdale
Ranked #49 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed 19 November 2009

I have been visiting the W Scottsdale since grand opening. I attended the grand opening party, the birthday party and their Halloween party. Every party just keeps getting better. I live in Scottsdale but always stay at the hotel just to get away. I think that every time i am there I am greeted by the smiling faces of Bridget and Heidi at the front desk. They always remember me and that i do like the "loud room" overlooking the pool. If you do come over a celebration be prepared that it will be loud and crazy but always a great time.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends

Reviewed 18 November 2009

a respectful young man kept our trip wonderful. We have stayed at many W locations but this one i must say had wonderful service thanks to Mr. Keyes.

• Stayed: October 2009
Reviewed 18 November 2009

This was my first stay at a W hotel. My expectations were pretty high based on all of the positive reviews. However, I didn't think the hotel was all That Wonderful. To be fair, the design and room appointments are very nice and stylish. But let's stick to the facts. Here are the downsides: Paper thin walls. I can hear the telephone conversations of my neighbor, something I have seldom experienced in any hotel. Small rooms. I don't feel like I need a lot of space, but the rooms made me feel cramped. Expensive amenities. $28 for parking in Scottsdale, where parking isn't a scarce resource. In the room you find lip balm for $12, the cheapest liquor option is $36! (service fee). A small bottle of wine is $24. Intimacy kit: $12. Corkscrew $9. Gummy bears $7. The bottom line: In this economy, this hotel is so pre-recession. I believe that other chains of comparable style and amenities can be found at a much better value. In closing, I didn't find the staff all gaga either. They are no better or worse than any average hotel.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 November 2009

We had a great time over the weekend hanging out with my friends at the W Hotel in Scottsdale. The hotel was great and everyone was very friendly. We took advantage of the Acura experience and had a great driver named Ryan Martin that in addition to driving us he gave us suggestions for resturants and bars. The only down side was the bartenders were not very friendly at the Living Room and upstairs bar. We had to wait forever for drinks on Saturday night and got a ton of attitude from the bartender. Thankfully someone in security saw how bad it was and gave us free drinks. The lobby bar is the best place to be at night because you have front row seats to the best people watching I have seen in years, maybe ever. I would definatley go back to this hotel.

Reviewed 13 November 2009

I recently stayed at the W Hotel in Scottsdale. The hotel is in a perfect location for plenty of bars, restaurants, and shopping... all within walking distance or a short car ride. The rooms were nice and the beds were extremely comfortable. In a word, the hotel staff was amazing. From the minute we walked in from the time we left, it was clear the W Hotel staff aims to please. The Whatever Whenever concierge desk went out of their way to accommodate us...from printing our boarding passes to driving us around the city in their Acura MDX...anything we asked for was provided. Ryan was our driver on more than one occasion and he was particularly knowledgeable and friendly without being pushy or irritating. We were always happy to see him pulling up in the MDX...thanks Ryan!!

The only negative I have to say revolves around the rooftop lounge. It was a little disenchanting that the only way to sit down was to purchase not one but two bottles of alcohol! I realize this is standard issue at most upscale clubs and bars, but I would think the W would make at least some seats available to their hotel guests. As an alternative, we spent the evening in the hotel lobby bar (the living room) watching the comings and goings for the rooftop lounge; prime free entertainment! The cocktail waitresses were nice and friendly yet the bartenders had the typical God Complex they think they're entitled to when pouring $15 cocktails. Could have done without their attitude but it was not enough to ruin the great time!

1  Thank FreyGirl
Reviewed 11 November 2009

i went to scottsdale on a girls' weekend and this was my first stay at a W hotel. i was very impressed with the customer service. anything we needed was attended to promptly and with the utmost professionalism. one outstanding feature was the hotel has a car provided by acura that the staff can take guests within a 5 mile range of the hotel. this was so great when all you needed was a ride to go shopping or to local restaurants. one of our drivers was Ryan Martin. he was awesome!! completely informed about the hotel and what sort of great places there were to go out to. we really appreciated him. overall my experience at the W was great and i would definately book one agian in my future travels.

Reviewed 8 November 2009

I booked a room for my husband's birthday, as a surprise. We were sorely disappointed. I booked an upgraded room - The Spectacular Room - which was supposed to have fabulous views. Our first disappointment was as soon as we walked in the room - I looked out the window and the views weren't even close to spectacular. Our "Spectacular" view was a panorama of other hotel rooms..... I will post a picture. If you craned your neck you could see the Zen Garden. Apparently the basic room's view is of the parking lot... and the upgraded room is of other hotel rooms and a zen garden. Don't waste your money on the upgrade.
Also, the slogan of The W hotels is "we grant wishes" - or something like that. So when you book your room they ask "What is your wish". I said my wish was chocolate covered strawberries in the room. Well, as you can imagine..... NO there weren't any chocolate covered strawberries in our room waiting for us. I was super disappointed... so my husband called down and ordered some..... 6 chocolate covered strawberries came to $27. So, basically.... YES - the W will grant your wish, but only if you call down to room service for it..... and it will cost you dearly.
We were determined to make the best of our stay. After waking at 3:30 A.M. for a balloon ride in Sedona (we had to drive) - we were exhausted - so we decided to get room service, watch a movie, and hit the sack. We fell asleep somewhat early at about 10 but were abruptly awoke at 12 when the FIRE ALARM went off. Now, i wouldn't mind if this was a real alert - for a REAL fire. But don't worry.... just like when we were freshman in college - it was a hoax from some drunk idiot who thinks waking everyone up at 12 is funny. After about 3 minutes of what seemed like the loudest fire alarm I have ever heard - it went off.
But don't worry, that wasn't the only thing that woke us up through the night. There was a LOUD party in the Zen garden outside our window. I mean, I like "Boom Boom Pow" as much as the next girl.... but not at 2 a.m. when i'm trying to sleep. And to top it all off our room was right next to the elevators, so we got to hear EVERY drunk 22 year old as they staggered back to their room discussing the hottie they met that night and who had hooked up with whom.
The ONLY redeeming quality of the W is that they gave us SOME of our money back for our horrible stay there. This was my first and LAST stay at a W hotel.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple