“Not your typical W”
Review of W Scottsdale

W Scottsdale
Ranked #49 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed 8 April 2010

Stayed at several W hotels overs the years and ended up in town for one of the Cubs games and a few rounds of golf. Service here was a lot better than most of the other hotels in the chain. The front desk and bellmen were very friendly and made some good recommendations for places to eat and have a few beers. The pool was good but they wanted us to change to go up there at night. No biggie as after looking around i could understand as everyone was dressed up. Overall it was a fun time and i will be back again.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Zambranofan

Reviewed 6 April 2010

Stayed here for spring training on starwood points.

The overall atmosphere is typical W. We are platinum and should get upgraded, but we were not, it's entirely possible they were sold out.

The hotel was filled with a lot of very drunk people, which was entertaining to watch. It was impossible to get a lounge near the pool, and the pool is not very large-- it is really all about the pool scene.

The closet is tiny and the room layout maximizes the available space, but after more than 3 nights I'd feel like the rooms were too small. There's basically no privacy in the bathroom, the door to the compartment with the toilet is frosted glass as is the shower enclosure. It was tolerable for me and my husband, but if I had been with a casual friend or set of friends, it would have been a nightmare for me.

There's a free parking lot behind the hotel. And it is in a good location to participate in Scottsdale nightlife.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank M_in_Cali
Reviewed 31 March 2010

First of all, the hotels location is...... well you can't be in a better location period. The service was fabulous, the pool....fabulous, the rooms pretty nice but not spacious by any means. We were able to successfully use the Acura experience during the day for the most part and at night we walked right across the street to the clubs or went upstairs to the poolside bar. Very chic. They only negative experience I had was breakfast. No need to even bother going there. Walk right around the corner to the Breakfast Club and you will be more than satsified. Definitely would choose this hotel again.

2  Thank Cubby828
Reviewed 29 March 2010

After reading so many negative reviews, I should have been forewarned. Honestly, I wrote off the criticism as a mismatch between the jaded guest and the hotel's target market. For example I could understand a business traveler's concern about the noise. I believe I fall pretty squarely into the general demographics: successful 30-something ASU grad looking to crash somewhere after a bachelor party. Much of my troubles were my fault, but I'll try to be objective and let you decide if the hotel should've handled things differently.

My travel companion checked into the room while I was in transit. We met that night at a bar so I did not have a room key or even know the room #. No big deal, we would return to the room at the same time when the bars closed and walk up together. Well, we got separated and he went to the room a few minutes before I did. Although I split the cost of the $400/night room, my name was not on the room and I did not have a key (a key is required to get the elevator to go up).

My friend did not pick up the phone when we called his room so I was stuck in the lobby. I pleaded with staff for 45 minutes while repeatedly dialing my friend's cell phone. The person at the desk treated me like some kind of vagrant and refused to do anything to help me. I ended up leaving the hotel and staying elsewhere. I understand the hotel's dilemma as they owe their guests a certain level of security, but there were a million better ways to handle this issue. Feel free to let me know your thoughts. If you think I'm an idiot, I can't totally disagree...I hope you at least get a laugh out of this.

2  Thank GrumpyGus25
Reviewed 28 March 2010

While the hotel is sleek and modern and beautiful I get turned off by hotels that nickle and dime you with things that other hotels give you for free. Here it was $26 for valet parking and when I asked about free parking they told me it was 3 blocks away so I went with valet. No free breakfast, it was $10 for 2 small muffins and a hot tea. Also, no coffee maker in the room (but there is an i-pod charger). In room internet is also an extra charge.
Another thing that was annoying was that you needed your room key to work the elevator all the time, up and down.
The pool area was lovely and when we were there on a weekday there were plenty of open seats.
Ate at Sushi place in hotel and it was very good but expensive.
Workout facility also was nice.
The bathroom in the room was kind of weird and would have been nicer if it was more private.

• Stayed: March 2010
2  Thank luv2vacation14
Reviewed 21 March 2010

Stayed at the W for a boys trip (early 40's) - golf, spring training... the W was a great fit for us. Newer hotel, nice public areas, staff were welcoming and efficient (valet was excellent throughout our stay), rooms are not large but well appointed with nice style and features (closets are small side), very clean hotel, modern. As mentioned before definitely for the right crowd and if you are that crowd this is a good option. We stayed at the Mondrian previously and the W is 10 X better for the same price.

2  Thank Salthillhalli
Reviewed 17 March 2010

I heard from my neighbor's 22 year old son who spent four years at Arizona State that the brand new Scottsdale W was the "hip", "cool" place to stay in scottsdale. I should have realized that i was listening to a 22 year old. My husband and I arrived here on a Saturday afternoon. The place was teeming with twenty-somethings, most of whom were thin, blonde, built, and beautiful. We checked out the pool scene and felt so totally out of place that we never came back to the pool in our 4 day stay. We almost moved hotels, even though we had paid for our entire stay in advance, and it was non-refundable. Today is Weds, and it's our last day. We came out to the pool to kill a few hours before our flight home, and it's quiet at 11 a.m. on a weekday. Moms with kids, as well as young couples. At 57 and 61, we feel like the oldest people here, and feel pretty out of place.

I agree with the other reviewers - tiny closet space, ONE drawer (small), ONE robe (had to call down for another one), not enough hangers, sink opposite the bed, toilet in one glass enclosed closet-type space, same for the shower. There's a window in the shower, and since the enclosure is all glass, the light shines through into the room and wakes you up. and there' s no way to make it dark. If you're young and like the club scene you'll like this hotel - if not, go elsewhere. You'll feel more comfortable. and one last thing - NO HOT TUB at the pool. For that, you have to go the the spa and pay $30 a day.

the restaurants at the W are super expensive, but there are loads of good ones nearby. Walk to the Breakfast Club for breakfast. Also try Olive and Ivy, and try Wildfish. We enjoyed them both.

we parked at the W hotel outdoor free parking lot one block away and saved the $26 a day for valet parking. We asked when we pulled up to check in and the bellman said that yes there was free on-street parking. I doubt he would have volunteered that info if we hadn't asked.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business