“AVOID!!! Rude & aggressive staff, a weekend of harrassment”
Review of W Scottsdale

W Scottsdale
Ranked #50 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
New York City, New York
“AVOID!!! Rude & aggressive staff, a weekend of harrassment”
Reviewed 4 August 2010

I have stayed at over 100 luxury hotels in the past 3 years (and have never written a review until now), and I can easily say that my stay at the W Scottsdale was possibly the worst experience I have ever had. The complete and utter lack of respect and hospitality that staff showed us as guests was simply appalling, bordering on harrassment. I went out for dinner and drinks off property, and when I returned I was forced to wait in line at the front door for 10 minutes to get back to my room...I felt like I was in the twilight zone - a luxury hotel should be opening the door for guests, not slamming it in their faces. I grew tired of waiting and attempted to cross the "velvet rope" (mind you, to try to return to my room to go to bed), and I was threatened to be kicked out...WHAT? How exactly would that even work? Did the bouncer plan on leaving me and my gf on the curb and going to gather our things from the room for us in order to kick us out?? I could understand the rude disposition towards random people trying to come drink at the hotel, but when someone shows you a room key, that kind of behavior is simply unacceptable. I had a group dinner at Sushi Roku where we had a very large check, and when we wanted to go have a drink in the downstairs lounge afterwards, i was told that it was not possible and that I would have to go wait in line at the front door and that only 4 of my group of 6 would be able to come in for a drink. Are you serious? Do you not see something wrong with that picture? I can undoubtedly say that I will never be staying at the W Scottsdale again and that anyone and everyone I speak to will know what a rude, aggressive, despicable, inhospitable and unresponsive staff works at this rathole. Come here at night for a drink, but if you decide to stay here you are making a big, big mistake and instead of a relaxing weekend (like I was hoping for), you are in for a weekend of harrassment by extremely rude, roid-rage-esque bouncers. Avoid at all costs.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank NYC3131
alyskie, Guest Relations Manager at W Scottsdale, responded to this review, 10 August 2010
Thank you for taking the time to review your W Scottsdale experience. We apologize for the frustrations that you experienced during your stay. We take guest feedback very seriously and will use reviews like yours to continue to improve our customer service and the experiences of our guests!

Our senior management team has been in touch with you regarding your recent stay and we hope you will give us a second chance to welcome you again in the future!

Warmest Wishes, Alyssa Kiefer, W Scottsdale

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Lake Elsinore, California
Reviewed 29 July 2010

this is one of the worst W s ive ever stayed at in my life. they have no parking, they open up this hotel to the public . there is absolutley no room in the pool for anyone to enjoy it because the public allowed in and no room for their own guests. there were people doing vulgar things in the pool like using vibrators and having sex in front of my children, that i had to escort out. this is a total party spring break atmosphere and not accomadating to families whatsoever. im still mortified and will never return. not to mention a drunken man entered our suite from the balcony at 3 in the morning while patio hopping in search of his room, in a drunken stooper from your pool 'CLUB' UNBELIEVABLE!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank onlykirsten
Please accept our sincere apologies for the issues you encountered during your stay. We appreciate your feedback and take our guest reviews very seriously. Our senior management team is aware of your recent experience and has made several attempts to reach out to you as we would love the opportunity to further discuss your stay and to take the appropriate actions. Please contact us at your convenience. Thank you, Alyssa Kiefer, W Scottsdale
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 21 July 2010

I was at the W for a conference-their meeting services group was great! Very attentive, clean rooms, approachable in every way. I stayed in a Fabulous Room-very modern, which is a style I like, however, the bathroom set up I didn't care for. The stall was spacious and the amenities are great but when traveling with my SO, I would have liked more bathroom privacy. Not a huge room but it was just fine for my short stay, I had requested a quieter room (some rooms overlooked the pool, nightclub area) so it was a distance from where you could park your car. But July in AZ, I had no problems finding a spot.
The gym was clean and sufficent and the pool area was very nice but I didn't swim. This is definitely a hot spot so if you are riddled by some self-conciousness about your body and size 2 twigs bother you, you may want to swim at 7am. They started carding people to go up to the bar area around 6PM. Bar is very pricey.
Great location, easy to walk to anything. The staff was pretty good, but you could see the swicth in staff around 6pm when it was party time-the customer service dropped off unless you were insanely attractive.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
Danville,Ca.
Reviewed 8 July 2010

Very nice top notch hotel. Nice outdoor pool on the second floor with a fulll bar, waiters, music, misters, and so on. Night club type feel. Really nice.

Rooms were very modern. 5 minute walk from restaurants, town, and a nice indoor mall. Great place. HOT.

If you have to be down in this terrible heat, 108 the day I was there. Treat yourself to a nice place like this.

• Stayed June 2010
Ottawa
Reviewed 7 July 2010

I ordered room service on the night of my arrival. Twenty four hours later there were still bottle caps, half used ketchup bottle and other scraps still in my room. Front desk guy said this was normal because "some people complain when too much is removed from the room". It also costs $26 to park your car. I'd pass on this place.

Starwood Platium Member

• Stayed June 2010
1 Thank Bingbangboing
alyskie, Manager at W Scottsdale, responded to this review, 8 July 2010
Well hello there! Thank you for sharing your W experience. We apologize that our service fell short during your recent stay. There is no excuse for those items to have been left that long in your room. We appreciate your feedback and have passed it on to the appropriate departments to ensure that future guests do not experience the same frustrations. We unfortunately do not have flexibility with our valet pricing at this time, but are happy to provide recommendations for nearby public options! We hope to have the chance to welcome you again! Warmest Wishes, Alyssa Kiefer, W Scottsdale
London, UK
Reviewed 5 July 2010

I were not a big fan of the rooms at this hotel mostly given the lack of privacy that the bathrooms offer, a little too trendy for my taste. But the lobby and the roofdeck were fantastic and I would return for that, but stay at different hotel.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PHCDK
San Ramon, California
Reviewed 2 July 2010

This place was awesome!! I went for my bachelorette party with about 10 of my friends and we all had a blast! We don't have anything bad or negative to say about the W! The staff was so great and they provide amazing service! We absolutely loved everything about our stay and the pool was so much fun! And the manager, Carlos, was so great!!! I would definitely recommend this place for a fun weekend! We already started talking about making it an annual trip!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends