“Wonderful stay at the W”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of W Scottsdale

W Scottsdale
Ranked #49 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Cleveland, Ohio
“Wonderful stay at the W”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2010

I've stayed at several hotels in Scottsdale, usually visiting my partner's family; this time was for a wedding. When I heard we'd be staying at the W, I knew to expect sleek decor and trendy clientele, but I was leery about the place being *so* trendy that noise would be an issue, and that the staff would be more concerned about their own trendiness than their clientele. I was especially concerned because I learned that on our first night, there was a large fashion show scheduled. I can appreciate a fun time, but after a long day of travel, the only "fashion" I care about are the bed linens and how well I sleep in them!

We arrived in the afternoon; the valet staff was very helpful and patient while our ride decided whether they wanted to find parking on their own. The lobby and common areas are just really neat - the glass railed staircase to the LED screens in each elevator; lots of attention to detail at this hotel. As others have said, the lobby smells fantastic thanks to the Bliss spa.

At the desk, Bridget checked us in - very friendly, as unpretentious as you could hope for, and just a warm inviting personality - wish more hotels had front desk staff like her. I asked about the fashion show and how loud things would get and she promptly offered us several options for quieter rooms. We chose a 6th floor room facing west, away from the pool area (site of the big events); Bridget nailed it - very quiet, great views of Camelback Mountain; so far so good. No balcony but there was a sliding door to let in fresh air (after dark when it's cooler). The room was spotless, very modern decor; I'm not a fan of the shoji screens for the bathroom area but they served their purpose.

I know another reviewer complained about the door staff but I have to say - we went offsite for dinner and came back around the time the fashion show was starting. Yes, there was a huge line by the front door and I suppose it might be intimidating, but instead of standing in line (we paid for the room after all) we simply walked right up to the doormen, calmly and politely held up our room keys and were quickly ushered in with a "thanks guys, have a great night" - not a shred of attitude from any of them.

It's a great location in Scottsdale - easily walkable, even in September heat to Fashion Square and most of Old Town. The pool, like the rest of the hotel was very sleek, chairs were very comfortable; they have some great happy hour specials during the week. Staff at the pool was very friendly without being intrusive. I suppose if I had to say anything negative, it would be that on one day, the music at the pool was too loud, and a strange mix of "chill/mellow/lounge" and "angsty/depressing" - and when it's during the day and less than a dozen people lounging around, it's really not necessary to blare it. Also, it would be nice to have free wifi in the rooms; but it's free in the lobby so it's not a big deal. It's probably not a place for those seeking absolute spa-like solitude, but it will definitely be my first choice for our next trip to Scottsdale.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BansheeCLE

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Dallas TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2010

The W known as the hip and cool destination for all things Wow! It certainly is that. However, come for a professional meeting and you just might be amazed. One thing W is not is a Disney getaway for families. However for Wed to Friday meeting destination this place fit the bill. The meetings were top notch in every way. The food was amazing. Every day and night there was a sprinkling of very small groups obviously there on leisure. However the W Scene was no where to be found. It is my understanding the place turns into an all out party on the weekends. Which if I were there sans kids it would might be a fun weekend getaway for me and the Husband. However, during our stay, there was little or none of that. Just a medium sized happy hour crowd and a few folks chilling by the pool/ lounge bar area. Lots of casual spots to unwind after all day meetings. We left here one time during our stay and that was ok with me. Location was walking distance to Fashion Square, a high end mall and fabulous restaurants or have the W Car drive you. The W rooms are tre-fab! Very cool design with BLiss products. Mine were restocked everyday. Bonus: As I loved the face wash and shower gel. Service: Stellar. Robes super comfy- I seriously would have bought one if I could have fit it in by bag. Beds super comfy too.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank DallasTXEventplanner
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2010

I have travelled all over the world, but have never stayed at a "W". It was the best Hotel ever. It is definitely adult oriented and party central. The pool was awesome with plenty to see. The service was the best of any Hotel I have ever stayed. I am from Miami, but Scottsdale knows how to party!!!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
alyskie, Guest Relations Manager at W Scottsdale, responded to this review, 16 September 2010
Welcome to W! We're excited to have a new fan! Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay! We love to hear that it exceeded your Scottsdale expectations! We'll look forward to having you back! Thank you, Alyssa Kiefer, W Scottsdale !
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2010

I've stayed at W Scottsdale on a half dozen or so occasions this year.
Each experience has been marvelous. I particularly appreciate the
attentiveness and friendliness of the staff, cleanliness of the facility
and sweet smell in the lobby. I travel every week for work and the W
shines as the best hotel experience I've had this year. I will even stay
here for pleasure later this year.

• Stayed September 2010
Thank you so much for your review! We're thrilled to hear that W Scottsdale has become your home away from home on your frequent visits to Scottsdale! We will be sure to pass your great feedback on to our talent! Looking forward to welcoming you again soon - especially for your upcoming leisure trip! Thank you, Alyssa Kiefer, W Scottsdale
Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2010

First time stay at the W Scottsdale over Labor Day weekend. The hotel has a very "zen" vibe and the lobby smells amazing.

Service was EXCELLENT!! Our room overlooked the zen garden. We were warned that it can be loud until 2am on Fri/Sat nights, but we were out late so we didn't notice it. Front desk accommodated our request for a mini-fridge, which was delivered to our room within 10 minutes of arrival. The room was clean and decent sized, though the bathroom set-up does not offer much privacy. Friday afternoon the pool was not crowded; we had our choice of lounge-chairs. The staff was repeatedly asking if we needed anything.

The "whatever/whenever" service was great -- we needed some "5-hour energy" so they went out and picked it up for us and delivered it to the room within 30 minutes. They charged it to the room and there was a nominal delivery fee and we tipped the guy. It was worth it not to mess around! And they have the complimentary ACURA car service, which will drive you to anywhere around the hotel -- you just call and make reservations -- we took it to dinner.

Saturday the pool was PACKED!! We got there early (by 10) and were able to get chairs; by noon the chairs were all taken. And you needed wristbands to get in. By 3pm the pool was FULL, but it was excellent people watching!! Of course the drinks are pricey, but don't you expect that?? At night, the pool area turns into a club, which was really hopping at 10pm. Lots of security all over the hotel. And FYI you need a room key to access the elevators.

BOTTOM LINE: Its a young, hip, trendy place in Scottsdale -- its NOT a family hotel. I didn't see any kids here, but that's what we wanted. Its super close to the Fashion Square Mall and Old Town -- a cab ride was $5. I would recommend if you don't mind a "party" atmosphere. If you do, stay someplace else!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank JJesqbpc4
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2010

Room was not cozy/comfy, view was of a big air contioner on the roof. Parking was horrible! Ending up having to valet park which was $26 for the night and the room was over priced! The bachelerette party I attended there was DULL! Boring atmosphere, music was not good, and the bottle service drinks were horrid! Save your money and get your drinks at the bar! This is a high scale wanna be hotel that is made out to be something it was NOT! I would not recommend this hotel unless you like a boring, snobish, mingling atmosphere with bad music.

• Stayed September 2010
alyskie, Guest Relations Manager at W Scottsdale, responded to this review, 8 September 2010
Thank you for your review! We appreciate your feedback! We apologize that the bachelorette party you attended did not meet your expectations. We understand that our lounge is not for everyone, but we are located right in the heart of Old Town Scottsdale, so luckily there are plenty of options for all our guests nearby! We hope to have the chance to welcome you again and are more than happy to point you in the way of nearby free public parking and also offer many different room types and views that might better suit your needs. Thank you, Alyssa Kiefer, W Scottsdale
SF
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2010

Bring flip flops as the area around the pool is HOT. Enjoy drinks by the pool in the evening. Dreamy.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business