“Not Worth the Money”

Ranked #8 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Plymouth, Minnesota
“Not Worth the Money”
Reviewed 9 March 2014

The resort is beautiful but the hotel room walls are paper thin - you will swear you are sharing your room with the people next door. In addition, the hotel room cleaning was poor - at best. When we arrived dirty cleaning towels were left in the bathroom. On another night, actual cleaning supplies were left in the bathroom and on another night they didn't even finish cleaning the room and dirty glasses were left behind. When we called the front desk for some items that we had forgotten, we had to call back three times since it took well over an hour for the items to be delivered. On our final night, a business or private party was held in the courtyard that our room opened out that included a live band - forget about getting any sleep that night - again with the paper thin walls and the volume of the music - it felt we were right at the party. One other point - the bathrooms are small - one small vanity, one sink, one mirror - can only accommodate one person getting ready.

Room Tip: No good tip - rooms have no sound proofing - they are loud and bathrooms are small.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank servs7
TerriB7500, Manager at Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa at Gainey Ranch, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. I apologize that your experience was less than satisfactory and am following up with a private message.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (495)
Woolwich Twp., NJ
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I stayed at this hotel with my husband and 2 boys over Valentine's Day weekend. We enjoyed the weekened here and the hotel had a nice crowd. The pools are GREAT for the kids and I feel that the hotel definitely caters to families. Friday evening (Valentine's Day) we had a light dinner in the hotel lobby and listened to the live music with our boys and didn't feel out of place with the kids in tow. However, the service was super slow, but likely because it was the holiday and perhaps they weren't prepared for such a crowd. The service on Sunday poolside wasn't great either though. We didn't eat at any of the restaurants otherwise.
I would stay here again because the pools were great as well as the grounds and scenery.
If you want to crash early (before say 11pm), request a room does not have a balcony overlooking the lobby.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank BeachLover077
TerriB7500, Owner at Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa at Gainey Ranch, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Thank you for choosing to spend your holiday break with us at Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa. Our entire team appreciates your thorough review. I apologize that some aspects of your stay, particularly the speed of our service, was unsatisfactory. Thank you again for your compliments and feedback.
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 6 March 2014

First I must point out that we spent a few nights at the Phoenician just before staying at the Hyatt, so I can't help comparing the two and overall it was a bit of a downgrade moving to the Hyatt. The worst part of the Hyatt is the rooms. They are rather worn and dated. We hated the first we were given and moved, but the 2nd was about as bad. But the rest of the property and the grounds are top notch, about as nice as the Phoenician. Even the pools, in my opinion, are nicer at the Hyatt, but admittedly stuffed with annoying kids at every turn. The Phoenician had just a handful of kids at anytime.

The Hyatt staff was another area that was far inferior and clearly not at all trained in CS to the level that the Phoenician staff was. They weren't terrible, just not nearly as good. But one area that the Hyatt really impressed was in the Regency club. The Phoenician doesn't even have a club, and the Hyatt's was one of the best I've seen, especially domestically. The food selection was outstanding both for breakfast and in the evening, definitely one of Hyatt's best domestic clubs. Another area that the Hyatt truly impressed was the spa. This spa is surely in the top Hyatt spas in the US. Kauai's has long been my favorite, but this one at Scottsdale just might beat it. And I'm not referring to the paid spa services, I'm just talking the free stuff that comes with regency club access: the steam room, the Jacuzzi, the mineral pool, the relaxation room, the 9 head showers... Spending a few hours enjoying these things was the highlight of the hotel for us.

So in the summary: the club and the spa are some of the best Hyatt has to offer, but combining them with dated worn rooms really pulls down the overall experience of the property. Management should immediately start renovating the rooms.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank frank3355
TerriB7500, Manager at Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa at Gainey Ranch, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Thank you for providing a review. I am glad you enjoyed our Regency Club and Spa Avania. It was our pleasure to serve you during you recent visit , but I am disappointed our guestrooms did not exceed your expectations. I appreciate your candid comments and will share your feedback with the rest of our team.
Chicago, Ilinois
Reviewed 4 March 2014

We went to this property because we had a coupon for the Italian restaurant from restaurant.com. The dinner was delicious. We ate outside on the patio with the heaters on in January. It was a welcome respite from a long Chicago winter! The best part of the evening was a surprise. My husband and I each got a ticket for the gondola ride and were serenaded by an opera singer. An unforgettable experience. We highly recommend it!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pauljen09
Thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed dining with us at Alto ristorante e bar. We've witnessed many engagements and memories made on our gondola rides and are pleased to read you enjoyed the experience! I appreciate your compliments and hope to welcome you back again soon!
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 2 March 2014

After 4 months of brutally cold weather here at home and the long days and nights at work, I had to get away. My husband suggested I go somewhere warm for a few days to pamper myself - so as a last minute thing, I booked this property for a 3 night get away - just for me! Boy, am I glad I did!

I spend 3 nights and 3 days here recently and had perfect weather - sunny, 27 C everyday, except the day I left for home. I booked this through Air Canada Vacations and so was able to get a room at the last minute (less than a week before I was supposed to leave; the hotel website said it was full but was able to get in through AC vacations). Normally, you would expect that if you got a vacation package, you might be given a substandard room. Not in this case. My room was very spacious; had a king sized bed, large work desk, tons of storage space and luggage space, large closet, lots of amenities (ironing board, iron, safe, fridge, coffee maker etc). The room was very clean, had a large bathroom and nice large shower. I also had a balcony with lovely flowers. I didn't mind that it faced the front entrance rather than the garden in the back because the flowers on the lattice gave it privacy and the front entrance had a beautiful waterfall and lots of trees etc. Besides, I was hardly in my room - I was enjoying the resort outside of the room most of the day anyways.

The property is apparently quite old but you wouldn't be able to tell - it is very well maintained. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The entire property is very clean. Staff is always polishing, vacuuming, cleaning everywhere. It is beautifully landscaped with well manicured lawns. The resort has everything you would need to escape from the outside world. You wouldn't have to leave the resort if you don't want to. There is a family pool, a waterside and if you prefer some peace and quiet, there is an adult pool - which is where I spent a lot of my time - reading, soaking up the sun and having drinks brought to me! The poolside service is very good. The staff came around frequently to make sure you are taken care of.

The restaurants were quite good, with a good variety to choose from - Japanese, southwestern, Italian, casual American fares. There is a large outdoor garden for you to relax, enjoy a drink or a meal and meet up with friends. There is a 24 hr market that serves Starbucks, all kinds of sandwiches and salads and pastries if you don't feel like having a full meal. Water stations are available for you to keep hydrated - bring your own water bottle and you can get free refills of filtered water.

The gym is very nice - lots of cardio equipment, weights, cold towels, water. It is in the same building as the spa - which is where I also spend a lot of time! The spa is very large, with the usual services but also has several pools, hot tubs, plunge pools, garden - for the exclusive use by spa guests. There's also steam room, dry sauna, shower facilities, relaxation room etc.

In room dining was also quite good - delivered right on time as promised, food was hot and quite good.

I was able to recharge at this resort after 3 nights' stay. It was a beautiful, well maintained, clean resort with great staff and all a person needs to get away from the daily hustle and bustle....oh, and if you golf, they have that too!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank IzzyEdmonton
I appreciate your enthusiastic endorsement regarding our beautiful property and exceptional restaurants! Our entire team would be delighted to serve you again on future visit to Scottsdale!
Kirkland, Washington
Reviewed 1 March 2014

From the check to the check out, this was a wonderful stay. The location is beautiful, the restaurants are fantastic and the rooms and public spaces are really special. the pool is fantastic. The lobby is a great place to enjoy the setting.
Most of all I really appreciated the way the staff made us feel like we were really valued guests.

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking the pool or garden. Tennis court view room wasn't as nice of view.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us. We certainly appreciate all of your feedback. We are happy you were pleased with our accommodations and found our staff friendly and helpful! Thank you again for the kind words. We hope to see you the next time you visit Scottsdale.
Long Beach, California
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Spent three nights here over Valentines Day weekend. The rooms are clean and nicely appointed. The amenities were pretty decent, the rooms were well kept and overall a decent size.

We had a room with an extended balcony. The balcony was very spacious and was really a nice place to sit and have evening drinks. It should be noted that the extended balconies are connected to the other rooms, with a very minor gate separating them. Usually that wouldn't be a big deal however we were unable to get the room cool enough at night and had to open the door to the balcony to let air in. Thankfully, as is obvious since I am writing this, we were not sharing a floor with a serial killer else I would be a goner. Also some of the guests were really loud one night (read: drunk) and woke us up. Oh, and the guy next door kept trying to kept trying to impress women with the size of his, uh balcony.

Overall staff was really nice and mostly everyone we encountered had a smile on their face.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your comments. I am terribly disappointed to hear about the issues you encoutered. This feedback is quite valuable to my team and I, as we are continuously working to perfect the guest experience. I sincerely hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa next time you are in Arizona.