“Fabulous stay at this Hyatt Regency”

Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa at Gainey Ranch
Ranked #9 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Gilbert, Arizona
“Fabulous stay at this Hyatt Regency”
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

I took my husband here for his 30th birthday and we had an absolutely fabulous time. We did the "wine me dine me" at the southwestern bistro for dinner and it was absolutely outstanding. We had the most perfect tequila and wine paired four course dinner. Even the salad course was to die for. Being from California wine country we love wine and were thrilled at how perfect the pairings were. We sat bar side for our paired dinner and watched the chef cook the meal right in front of us. The chef was so nice to talk with us all about Arizona and about the food that he was preparing for us. Our waiter was very professional as well. This really was the perfect evening. So enjoyable!

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank LandonMarie
TerriB7500, Manager at Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa at Gainey Ranch, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
I am so pleased you chose to celebrate you special occasion with us! I appreciate your detailed review of 'Wine Me, Dine Me', and I am pleased you enjoyed the one of a kind experience. We send your husband warm birthday wishes!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (491)
Saratoga, California
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Well located and well managed Scottsdale resort. Excellent value compared with other resorts in the area of similar quality. (We were on a Hyatt Vacations package that included room and car for an excellent total price.) Grounds are landscaped with a southwest theme. Rooms are good sized and well-appointed. Many have large outdoor areas with lounge chairs and a table. Lots of families in during Spring break, and the property seemed to cater to the kids pretty well, yet they never seems to intrude. Nice pool area with separate adult pool for those - such as us - seeking a bit of quietude. Bar/patio pleasant for an sunset cocktail. There was live music each night we were there. Performers were OK. Restaurants are good. Alto Ristorante is as good as most of the higher-priced restaurants in the area with nice outdoor seating and a fire pit.

Overall, we were quite happy with the experience.

One thing, however: check the details on your bill when you check out. The $25 daily resort fee covers in-room wifi; however, to access it you have to agree to a daily charge that is taken off when you check out. Except, you have to ask them to do it. If you don't ask, the charge stays on your bill as we found out when we got home and examined our bill in detail. A call to the hotel and the charge was reversed, but I wonder how many times this goes unnoticed? (By the way, the resort fee does not cover valet parking, which is a rather exorbitant $27 per day. Self-parking is no charge, and is a short walk from the lobby.)

Room Tip: I would avoid the courtyard rooms since their balconies are right above the patio/bar/activities are...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ds_95070
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us. We certainly appreciate all of your feedback. We are happy you were pleased with our accommodations and found our staff friendly and helpful! Thank you again for the kind words. We hope to see you the next time you visit Scottsdale.
Reviewed 14 March 2014 via mobile

We loved this hotel. The open airy space for cocktails & views were wonderful. The pools just great. The spa was great & my massage by Liz incredible. Great Spa. We agree with others that the rooms are outdated ; the beds not well made ( sheets pull out of mattress easily); towels cheap & only one sink in bath; shower weak. We loved the restaurants especially Aldo's Italian. We actually never went out for three nights. We were too tired. Nicole @ bar was terrific. We'll be back but the rooms need updating so what they're charging is too much. Overall we'll be back though.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for providing a review. I appreciate your compliments regarding Spa Avania, Alto and our wonderful staff. I hope your travels bring you back our way again soon!
Spearfish, South Dakota
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Stayed one night here just over a week ago and our kids had a blast at the pools/water slide. Had a great server (William) bringing us drinks pool side. That evening we decided to eat at one of the resort's restaurants. We were seated right away and the food and service was excellent. One of my sons spilled his soda and was upset/embarrassed. The staff and William got it cleaned up right away and brought him another soda. I got my son's tears dried up and William came over to reassure my son that it was no big deal and joked that he didn't mean to make him cry. By the time we finished eating and got back to our room, a certain somebody had dropped off a popcorn bucket filled to the rim with candy bars, candy, soda etc. There was also a hand written note from William to my son to cheer him up! We couldn't believe it. Made the trip and the vacation. Hats off to William and all the staff!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank BelfastCowboy1
Thank you for your kind endorsement. I am thrilled that you and you family enjoyed staying with us. I look forward to sharing your compliments with William and the rest of our team.
Plymouth, Minnesota
Reviewed 9 March 2014

The resort is beautiful but the hotel room walls are paper thin - you will swear you are sharing your room with the people next door. In addition, the hotel room cleaning was poor - at best. When we arrived dirty cleaning towels were left in the bathroom. On another night, actual cleaning supplies were left in the bathroom and on another night they didn't even finish cleaning the room and dirty glasses were left behind. When we called the front desk for some items that we had forgotten, we had to call back three times since it took well over an hour for the items to be delivered. On our final night, a business or private party was held in the courtyard that our room opened out that included a live band - forget about getting any sleep that night - again with the paper thin walls and the volume of the music - it felt we were right at the party. One other point - the bathrooms are small - one small vanity, one sink, one mirror - can only accommodate one person getting ready.

Room Tip: No good tip - rooms have no sound proofing - they are loud and bathrooms are small.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank servs7
TerriB7500, Manager at Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa at Gainey Ranch, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. I apologize that your experience was less than satisfactory and am following up with a private message.
Woolwich Twp., NJ
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I stayed at this hotel with my husband and 2 boys over Valentine's Day weekend. We enjoyed the weekened here and the hotel had a nice crowd. The pools are GREAT for the kids and I feel that the hotel definitely caters to families. Friday evening (Valentine's Day) we had a light dinner in the hotel lobby and listened to the live music with our boys and didn't feel out of place with the kids in tow. However, the service was super slow, but likely because it was the holiday and perhaps they weren't prepared for such a crowd. The service on Sunday poolside wasn't great either though. We didn't eat at any of the restaurants otherwise.
I would stay here again because the pools were great as well as the grounds and scenery.
If you want to crash early (before say 11pm), request a room does not have a balcony overlooking the lobby.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank BeachLover077
TerriB7500, Owner at Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa at Gainey Ranch, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Thank you for choosing to spend your holiday break with us at Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa. Our entire team appreciates your thorough review. I apologize that some aspects of your stay, particularly the speed of our service, was unsatisfactory. Thank you again for your compliments and feedback.
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 6 March 2014

First I must point out that we spent a few nights at the Phoenician just before staying at the Hyatt, so I can't help comparing the two and overall it was a bit of a downgrade moving to the Hyatt. The worst part of the Hyatt is the rooms. They are rather worn and dated. We hated the first we were given and moved, but the 2nd was about as bad. But the rest of the property and the grounds are top notch, about as nice as the Phoenician. Even the pools, in my opinion, are nicer at the Hyatt, but admittedly stuffed with annoying kids at every turn. The Phoenician had just a handful of kids at anytime.

The Hyatt staff was another area that was far inferior and clearly not at all trained in CS to the level that the Phoenician staff was. They weren't terrible, just not nearly as good. But one area that the Hyatt really impressed was in the Regency club. The Phoenician doesn't even have a club, and the Hyatt's was one of the best I've seen, especially domestically. The food selection was outstanding both for breakfast and in the evening, definitely one of Hyatt's best domestic clubs. Another area that the Hyatt truly impressed was the spa. This spa is surely in the top Hyatt spas in the US. Kauai's has long been my favorite, but this one at Scottsdale just might beat it. And I'm not referring to the paid spa services, I'm just talking the free stuff that comes with regency club access: the steam room, the Jacuzzi, the mineral pool, the relaxation room, the 9 head showers... Spending a few hours enjoying these things was the highlight of the hotel for us.

So in the summary: the club and the spa are some of the best Hyatt has to offer, but combining them with dated worn rooms really pulls down the overall experience of the property. Management should immediately start renovating the rooms.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank frank3355
TerriB7500, Manager at Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa at Gainey Ranch, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Thank you for providing a review. I am glad you enjoyed our Regency Club and Spa Avania. It was our pleasure to serve you during you recent visit , but I am disappointed our guestrooms did not exceed your expectations. I appreciate your candid comments and will share your feedback with the rest of our team.