“Nice relaxing stay”

Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa at Gainey Ranch
Ranked #9 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed 16 June 2014

From check in to check out the whole experience was pleasant and relaxing. We have stayed at a number of Hyatt properties so have an idea what to expect.
Check was a breeze, we were seen to by a young man who was training and his mentor, both were very friendly and informative about the property and the area without being over the top.
The public areas of the hotel were clean and well maintained.
The rooms were clean but looking a little tired, I am not sure if the hotel is due for renovation but the guest rooms and certain public areas could do with updating.
My only other real comment about the room was how noisy the air conditioning unit was, this was not a continuous operation unit and constantly turn on and off throughout the day and night, this made it difficult to sleep peacefully at night. I think if it had been on continuously my brain would have switched off to it but constantly turning on and off was very disruptive.
It was nice to have a balcony you could sit out on and the furniture supplied was of a good standard.
We sampled room service, which we were able to order through the entertainment centre rather than having to phone, this was simple to use and easy to navigate round. Food was average, have certainly eaten better in a Hyatt.
The pool areas were extensive and there were attentive pool staff. Some of the furniture was dirty and it was obvious certain things such as the tables and the towelling covers were not cleaned or changed daily, detracting from the overall ambience of the resort. It would be easy for staff to wipe the sticky drink residue from the tables at the end of a day.
Entertainment was provided close to the reception area on an evening, if you are wanting a quiet early night request a room away from this area, ours was and we weren't disturbed.
There is free self parking close to the front of the hotel and apart from the night when there was a large corporate do on we didn't have any problem getting a good space.
All of the staff were very friendly and we would certainly like to visit the resort again.

Room Tip: If you don't want to be disturbed by the nightly entertainment ask for a room away from receptio...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ugoEngland
TerriB7500, Manager at Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa at Gainey Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

We are so happy that you had a relaxed experience during your stay with us. We apologize for the noisiness of the air conditioning and for your experience at the pool area. We will submit your comments to our cleaning staff immediately. We are thrilled that you enjoyed the rest of your time at the Hyatt Regency Scottsdale, and we can't wait to see you again!

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights, resort was beautiful and did not disappoint. Justine at the front desk was very helpful in giving us a quick overview of the resort. We were in a standard king, room was CLEAN and spacious.
Pools are nice and well maintained. They do have an adult pool separate from the kid's area (and a beach entry BTW). All the bartenders and servers at the pool were excellent. Pools are open 24hrs as well. Hotel bar was great as well, Andrew and Mitch at Center Stage are top notch bartenders and there is live music almost every night. Good local beer selection as well.
The first night we were there, we thought we heard singing outside our balcony, yes it was a gondolier-- the hotel offers gondola rides-- we gave it a shot, (after trying Alto the hotel's restaurant) Marcus was alot of fun.

All staff friendly and excellent - Great stay and vacation, we hope to visit again.

Room Tip: We prefer to be on the second floor -- quick access to the main lobby.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank soxfan00

Thank you for your five star review! We are thrilled you had pleasant experiences with Justine, Andrew, Mitch, and Marcus and we will extend your kind words to them. We hope to see you again, and this time on the second floor!

Reviewed 14 June 2014

This resort came highly recommended by some of our friends for a stay-cation in Phoenix and it did NOT disappoint! Beautiful resort, clean and spacious rooms. We spent most our time at the adults only pool but the kids pool looked pretty neat too! One tip when staying here- definitely expect to pay Scottsdale prices on food/drinks!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your five star review! We are so glad that and your friends have all enjoyed your experiences here at the Hyatt Regency Scottsdale. We will extend your kind words to our staff. We look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 10 June 2014

We were at the Gainey Ranch Resort over a long weekend with our kids and parents. We had a lovely family stay, the staff was very accommodating and we were given adjacent rooms with doors so the kids could go to sleep and the adults still got to spend time together. We were there during the low warm season (June to September), when all of us local Southern Arizonans flock to the resorts for a weekend of swimming. Overall the rooms were great, very clean and comfortable and hotel staff were A+. I had lost some valuable jewelry, called 28 days later just to see if by chance my jewelry had fallen out of the swim bag and as it turned out, staff had found it at one of the pools and it was all still in the hotel's lost and found safe waiting to be claimed. Everything was delivered overnight to my home. The food at the restaurants was pretty good, so you could just come and honker down without having to go anywhere for a few days.
The only down sides are:
1) the umbrellas at the pool did not rotate and thus we could not hide from the sun as much as we had hoped;
2) if you are a local and plan on going with kids, head over for a weeknight stay and skip the Saturday night when all the 20 - 30 year old single folk are out for a party weekend. The scene can be not so family friendly and the place tends to be quite packed. Nothing the hotel can do, this is not a phenomenon specific to this hotel, happens at most of the regional resorts on Saturday nights.
Despite the singles party scene we still managed to have a great family stay. We will definitely go back, just not on a Saturday Night during the warm season. If given the choice, spend the extra money on the "Hyatt Club"; with kids it is well worth it.

Room Tip: if you come with kids request a room on the 1st floor. Regardless of which building your room is in...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Blanca_Henrietta
TerriB7500, Manager at Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa at Gainey Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Thank you for the kind words! I’m glad you enjoyed your stay with your children and I am more than happy to hear that your jewelry was found intact and returned to you. I will extend your gratitude to our staff and hope that you will stay with us again soon!

Reviewed 8 June 2014

We came here for my granddaughter's high school graduation in Mesa. The room was large and clean. Olga, our housekeeper, was outstanding in fulfilling out requests. The staff is friendly and attentive without being pretentious. The pools were great as well as SWB restaurant.

Would we stay here again? You bet!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Our housekeeping staff work hard to ensure they provide outstanding service, and I look forward to sharing your compliments regarding Olga with the rest of our team. I am pleased to read you enjoyed dining at SWB and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

First, let me qualify the absolute only reason I knock a point off. When you walk out of the lobby area toward the pool or lake, you are assaulted by cigarette smoke or the stale smell of old cigarettes. In 2014, a property like this should be non-smoking throughout, or else put smokers in a low-traffic area where they can poison one another and not everyone else. There is really no convenient way to get to the lake without passing smokers, and that's too bad, because the outdoor areas of the resort are gorgeous.

Really, this place is beautiful. I rarely visit a hotel that looks better in person than it does in professionally taken photos, but this one looks way, way better in person. I love the vast lobby area that blends into the bar area and stage below, and how many hotels have a stage with professional lighting in their lobby? The hotel is older, exemplified by the frequency of polished brass, but it's well-maintained and I kind of like the retro feel of brass and wood. The grounds are well maintained, the pool area is vast, complete with its own mini beach and water slides. My favorite part of the pool area is the separate adults pool with a waterfall coming through the roof of one of the many pool structures. Even mid-summer this hotel would be great. I love the pine trees with succulent ground cover. Beautiful. The grounds staff and designers are to be commended.

We didn't use it, but we toured the Avania spa, and it's amazing. My wife uses the Joya spa at Montelucia quite often, and this one is on par with Joya. The mineral pool inside Avania is worth the visit alone.

Sleep quality: 10/10. The bed was great, pillows were many and good. I wasn't awakened even once by hall noise.

The rooms are spacious and attractive, but the furnishings in the room (4107) could use a bit of repair, as the edge banding is starting to peel off in places and there are chips in the finishes. We started out in a different room and the furniture there was also in need of repair. My wife thought the lighting for makeup was not great in the bathroom, but the shower was awesome, and the bathroom was beautiful. The view from our room was onto a roof, which they've tried to grow plants on, but it still looks like a roof. Not terrible, but just be aware if view is important. They will try to get you to upgrade the room at check-in, and there are beautiful views to be had. I would pick the Regency garden view, which has a beautiful lily pond. Our house has a view of a mountain and downtown Phoenix, so view was pretty secondary.

This was a quick stay to celebrate our anniversary, and they treated us like royalty:) Steve at the front desk immediately sent up chocolates and champagne to our room, which was lovely.

After checking in and settling into our room, we went downstairs and were treated to the 7-time hoop dancing world champion, who I gather is from a local tribe, but missed the opening so I'm not sure which one. If you've never seen hoop dancing, it is both educational and breathtaking. There is also a Native American Learning Center in the lobby that has books, artifacts, and information on local Native American history and culture. I recommend a visit to the Heard Museum to learn even more.

In the evening, on the same stage, a band plays each night. I didn't expect much, but was really blown away by the quality of the talent. They played covers, but delightfully, they played originals, too. It started out as three pieces, with a guitar, bass and keyboard player. I lived in Austin and I know good music, I've dated musicians and had them for roommates, and this keyboard player has one of the most beautiful voices I've ever heard in my life. Sadly, the drummer/lead singer eventually showed up and the band became four times as loud and half as good. Not to say he wasn't talented, but it felt like he grandstanded the entire time, so go early and hope the drummer is late.

We had dinner later at Alto, their fine-dining Italian restaurant. We are both vegetarian, and had no trouble with the menu. I had the ravioli with an arrabbiata sauce, an arugula salad, and we ordered the asparagus, olives and pecorino flight for antipasti. Their wine selection was excellent, ranging from around $40/bottle to well north of $500, and we were happy with our selection. The chef sent out a beautiful dessert of mocha ice cream and a flourless chocolate cake as congratulations for our anniversary. Another perk with dinner at Alto is a gondola ride on the adjacent lake, which is a must-do, even if you don't eat there.

The coffee shop off the lobby has excellent, albeit expensive, fresh-squeezed juices. One thing I really liked was the water bottle the hotel sells for $7. They have a purification system at different spots in the hotel that put out chilled water that they refill for free. The water tastes great, and cuts down on unnecessary plastic bottle trash. Kudos!

The only disappointment besides the smoking was the expensive/not impressive breakfast. Hotel breakfast buffets are generally disappointing, no matter how nice the hotel, and so I wasn't surprised to see rubbery pancakes and the like. One look and we decided not to order the $17 buffet, especially as we would be subsidizing the meat eaters here. We ordered an omelet and oatmeal for a $40 breakfast after tip. Next time we'll go to the hotel coffee shop, which is what I ended up doing in the end. My recommendation if you want to leave the hotel is to head down to Essence Bakery for breakfast, which is hands down the best breakfast in the city.

Checking out was a breeze, and Amanda at front desk was delightful.

Bottom line: we will absolutely go back here, as it was a nearly perfect night away, and next time we'll bring our son who will enjoy the many, many amenities they have for kids. It really is a resort with something for everyone.

Thanks for a lovely stay.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cheesegypsy

Thank you for choosing to stay with us for your anniversary. I am pleased to read you enjoyed the celebratory champagne, chocolates and dessert! I look forward to sharing your compliments regarding our staff and entertainment with the rest of our team. If you bring your son, we have experiential offerings and activities that very from crafts to wildlife demonstrations, in addition to Camp Hyatt. We hope to become a tradition, and celebrate many more special occasions with you.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Hello everybody,

This buffet is very very good. spent the night there and had breakfast this morning. 6.45am, outside. quiet, beautiful, birds singing, and....wife ! The service was good. they have a la carte breakfast which is over priced and suddenly we asked for the breakfast buffet. less than $18.00 each. regular coffee at $3.95 and a kind of a baby cappucino at $ 4.50. Expensive but decent.
BUT THE BUFFET is FANTASTIC. eggs, eggs white, all kind of omelettes made on scratch, pancakes, potatoes, bacon, sausages. Fresh, good, even excellent. A little bemol on the eggs benedict. The top is not an hollandaise sauce unfortunately !. croissants, pain au chocolat, excellent pastries, muffins. granola, fresh fruits. amazing. For the price and for our difficult French taste, you must go there. The bread was not the best but we were already full !
Tomorrow we gonna try the Brunch there.

Room Tip: last floor, no noise at all
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

I appreciate the comments about our food! I will let our buffet staff know of your compliments and hope you enjoyed brunch!