Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa at Gainey Ranch
Ranked #10 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
phoenix arizona
“Spectacular!”
Reviewed 5 August 2009

This is an exclusive resort in Scottsdale and while pretty pricey it was worth every penny. I took my husband there for his birthday and we had a great time. We did the golf package and enjoyed the entire resort, The room was great, the dining was terrific (we ate at the Italian place and had breakfast), the pools were fabulous, the golf was great, The Gondola boat ride was so romantic, and the overall experience was wonderful. It was worth every penny- a great weekend.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (501)
Colorado
Reviewed 5 August 2009

After staying at 3 other hotels in Arizona, this hotel was a treat. After looking at the Phoenician and the Biltmore, we felt most comfortable at the Hyatt. The room was clean, comfortable, and modern. The best part of the hotel is the pool. Even on the weekend, it didn't seem over-crowded. There was always a part of the pool you could call your own. One negative was the live music they have near the lobby at night. With our room on the main lobby floor, we could hear the music all night. Nothing a little SportsCenter couldn't overcome. Another negative was no free wi-fi or in-room internet. Overall, a very nice hotel at a great summertime rate!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Temecula, CA
Reviewed 2 August 2009

Had a great time with the family for a week at the Hyatt Regency/Scottsdale. Plenty hot, but no shortage of space at the pool. The kids loved the 3 story high twisting water slide and the nearby sandy beach.

We took advantage of the continuous beverages and snacks in the Regency club. I took advantage of the the free wifi in there too.

I'm sure we will be coming back frequently!

Philadelphia
Reviewed 1 August 2009

We really enjoyed our trip to the Hyatt. It was BEAUTIFUL and had a bunch of pools that were very fun and pretty. the rooms were small and the food was really expensive. It has a great view of a golf course and mountains. It is close to a lot of stores and restraunts. We reccomend Wallys. It was a sports bar right by the hotel. At the pool, the slide is soooo much fun! Everyone that went on it enjoyed it! it also has a fake beach that has sand in the pool and around it. I would reccomend going to the pool in the early morning beacause you will pretty much have every pool to yourself, but the slide opens around 10. One night they had live jazz music in the lobby. There is also a Native American Learning Center. I really loved the hotel and i was never bored there. I would definetely come back, and i didn't want to leave!

lovetraveltips
Reviewed 28 July 2009

We chose the Hyatt Gainey because with kids you need great pools. Even though the resort boasts 10 pools, be mindful that there is only one "large" family pool and most are smaller lap pools. The kids enjoyed the slide but complained of the slime in the access pathway. We all enjoyed the water volleyball nets and basketball hoop. Poolside service was pretty non-existent in that plastic cups and leftover food plates were left for quite some time. A highlight was poolside S'mores on Friday night.

Our biggest disappointment was that the resort did not provide timely and adequte water poolside. With temps above the 100 degree range around 9am we asked when iced water jugs would be available. We were told around 10:30am-11:00am, but was offered water bottles at $2.50/bottle. A little unconscionable in my opinion. The pool needs serious maintenance as mold along the pool tiles was heavily present. Hair, bandaids, and general pool funk was found in the main larger pool.

The SWA restaurant was actually pretty good and didn't really find were in line with some of the reviews present. Rooms were adequate for a family although consider getting two adjoining rooms if traveling with older kids as the room sizes are small. The resort has a convention feel and was VERY busy during the weekend. Music in the evenings was good. If you want atmosphere this is not the resort to consider. Consider the Four Seasons (amazing resort for couples). We will not stay at the Hyatt Gainey again even though it was an average stay and will consider some of the other resorts in town in the future.

Vancouver
Reviewed 26 July 2009

Stayed there with our 3 teenagers for 1 night 2 days ago. We had just been to Arches National Park, Monument Valley and the Grand Canyon and were heading off to our next destination on our Summer Road Trip. We arrive @ 2:30 pm and the room isn't ready yet. They say they will call me on my cell as soon as the room is ready. When I ask if they know how long it will be they tell me: "No idea. Could be 10 mins or could be more than an hour." No attempt to phone housekeeping to try and find out, mind you. But no problem, as their check in time is 4 pm, so technically we were early. So I ask the bellman (actually, bellboy as he was maybe 17) if the bags are stored in a locked area and he assures me they are so I give him $5 and ask him to make sure they are because my laptop is among the bags and I don't want to carry it around the resort for the next possibly 1.5 hours while we are waiting for our room. We then go and spend $40 on drinks in the lobby lounge. There we are waited on by a waitress that did not smile once and clearly gave us the impression that we were interfering with her conversation with the bartender. After about 20 mins I realize I've left my cell in my laptop bag so I go back to the lobby - only to see our luggage (including my laptop bag) sitting on the cart off to the side of the bellman desk. Several of the older inside bellman are standing about 20 ft from it with their backs to it. I just walk up and take the laptop bag. No one even questions me. While I should have said something at that point, I don't. But I'm now officially unimpressed. So, 4:30 arrives and still no phone call. I've never had to wait past the check in time for a room before, so I call the front desk and ask to speak to the front desk manager. She is very pleasant, apologizes profusely and takes 50% of our room rate. Says that she will "make sure" the cot we ordered ahead of time is in the room when we get to it. I think about mentioning the laptop bag, but given her offer of the discount, I just let it go, again. Oh, and the room was ready by the way and had been for sometime...they just hadn't bothered to call us. We then get to the room low and behold, no cot. Now I know what you're thinking - big deal, no cot, just call down and get it already. But honestly, this was the proverbial straw to my camelback (those of you who know Phoenix will get the joke). I called the front desk manager again and this time said to her that I had been in the hotel a total of 3 hours by that point and had yet to receive even an acceptable level of service from anyone but her - and even she hadn't done what she said she was going too. And the service just continued that way. The waiter in the restaurant was no different than the waitress in the lounge. We were just an annoyance. The busboy - and I am not exaggerating here - literally poured water on my son while filling his glass and just walked away without saying anything.
Now, in the interests of journalistic fairness, if you don't care less how bad the service is and you just want a fabulous pool - then this is your hotel. We've stayed at lots of nicer resorts (Fairmonts, Four Seasons, Westins, to name a few) and I have to say that this is probably the nicest pool area of any of them. There are multiple smaller pools arranged around and between two larger ones, with a dedicated adult pool. While I've seen nicer landscaping, the way it is integrated with the pool area is truly impressive. Oh, and the rooms were nice too.
On balance, the service gives you the impression the place is run by surly teenagers - but surly teenagers with a nice pool.

1 Thank SunFunFamily
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 25 July 2009

The resort is ok, pool area pretty unique and very, very large. The staff is very friendly, except at the Bar in the evening. I would go back there, but not over weekends. Then the resort is completely crowded and all pools are actually over-crowded. No wonder... at 115F ...
I strongly advise to book superior rooms. We had a superior room with a very nice view. The size of our room was ok. Our kids (3) were staying in a standard double bed room and that room was rather small. If you go there with your family make sure to book the resort bed and breakfast rate. Much better deal then to pay every morning for the rather expensive bfst. Open air parking is free. Covered parking is only with valet (pretty expensive).

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business