Howard Johnson Scottsdale Old Town
US$135
  • Pool
La Quinta Inn & Suites Phoenix Scottsdale(Scottsdale)(Great Value!)
US$113
Hyatt Place Scottsdale/Old Town(Scottsdale)(Great Value!)
US$167
US$142
US$199
US$179
Hotels.com
  • Pool
The Scottsdale Resort at McCormick Ranch(Scottsdale)(Great Value!)
US$251
US$205
US$164
3 Palms Hotel(Scottsdale)(Great Value!)
US$84
US$428
US$386
Travelocity
  • Pool
All reviewsgreat locationindian schoolsmall lobbycontinental breakfastwalking distancespring trainingstay there againroom was cleanpool and jacuzzirestaurants and shopshotel is locatedair conditionercoffee makerwi fifashion square mallyogurtfront desk staff
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 September 2012

Great price, service, cleanliness for a great location in Scottsdale. Near all the nightlife and restaurants.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
KristyL710, General Manager at Howard Johnson Scottsdale Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2012

I am so glad that you enjoyed your time with us here at the Howard Johnson's Old Town Scottsdale. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed 17 September 2012

The hotel was fairly good. Dissapointed that the pool was closed for maintenance the whole time I was there.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Thank you for your review of the Howard Johnson's Scottsdale. I apologize about the pool being closed during your stay. This was an unexpected issue that we are trying to resolve as quickly as possible. I hope that you will return soon, when you are able to enjoy our pool area and all the Old Town area has to offer.

Reviewed 6 September 2012

This hotel has a much nicer, much cleaner feel to it than similarly priced hotels in the Phoenix area. It has a nice brick exterior, nicely decorated lobby. All the rooms face the parking lot, and we had no trouble parking near the stairs by our second floor room. The pool was situated across the parking lot, and looked very nice and clean. Unfortunately, it was closed for the duration of our two-night stay with no estimate on when it would be open again.

We checked in very late at night (2am), as is typical for us, so of course there was no wait. The lady was very nice and polite, and check in was very easy and efficient. Our reservation was accurate.

In the morning, I put up our DND and went down to the lobby to pick up some breakfast before my boyfriend's meeting. I let the lady know that we did not need HK service, and we were not bothered at all. So communication between front desk and HK is good.

The continental breakfast was GREAT. There was apple and orange juice and milk. Two cereal choices. Apples and oranges. Three kinds of small muffins. Three flavors of Yoplait yogurt. Bread for toast, english muffins, and two varieties of bagels. Three jellies (strawberry, grape, and mixed fruit). And a toaster for the breads. I was very pleased with the quality and selection. They also provide a tray for this purpose in your room, which was a very helpful touch.

Our actual room was pretty nice, even had a luxury feel. The decor was not cheesy or dirty-looking, including the nice bathroom counter, shower tiling, a picture above the bed, and decorative mirror above the work area. The bedding was white and crisp, and the comforter was heavy and snuggly. Pillows looked strangely smaller than the pillow cases (maybe this is a common hotel thing so they stay completely covered?), but were clean and firm, with no soft spots or lumps. The flatscreen TV was a good size, and I listened to some VH1 after dropping my beau off at work.

My only complaints about the room were the carpet and the AC. While the carpet did not have that signature "dirty" motel feel, I did notice that my feet were black from walking on it. I washed them when I noticed and confirmed that it was definitely the carpet. :(

The AC, I'm not sure if we just met really bad luck with Phoenix weather, or if the AC was actually broken. Our room was humid when we checked in, even though the AC was already on, and it was worse coupled with the heat of the next day when we came back from some shopping. I tried turning it off, even unplugging it and plugging it back in. We set it all the way down to 61 degrees, and it never cooled off. I tried switching between the low and high settings, and there was a difference in the air current, but the temperature of the air coming out was still only slightly cool. Even on the "high" setting you had to stand directly in front of it and lean over the vents a little to cool off. I don't know if the heat/humidity was just that bad, or if there was a problem with our unit. I reported it to the front desk at checkout and they made a note for maintenance.

The staff were all polite and friendly, and Kristy was especially helpful. I could not find a routed trolley map in all of Scottsdale, but she did print me a map with all the stops on it.

Overall, this hotel was a great choice. It was nice, clean, and located within walking distance (even though we drove the two minutes anyway because of the heat!) to everything fun and everywhere we needed to be. We will definitely stay here for his future trips.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
KristyL710, General Manager at Howard Johnson Scottsdale Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2012

Thank you for your recent review. I am pleased to hear that the hotel and our staff exceeded your expectations. We hope that when you travel to the Scottsdale area again, the Howard Johnson Old Town will be where you choose to stay.

Reviewed 4 September 2012

We had to travel to Phoenix in the high heat of August for medical appts. but our stay at this hotel made what could have been a miserable trip very comfortable! Before arriving we had researched a few resorts near Old Town Scottsdale that looked nice and were priced around $65/night for low season. Upon arriving however, we learned that any property with "resort" in the title charges an additional "resort fee" PER DAY which is not advertised online with room rates. The ones at properties we had considered ranged from $16 to $25 additional a day to have a parking space and use the pool, literally. So we went hunting for hotel properties and happened to see this 2 story Howard Johnson's well located near the corner of Indian School Rd and Scottsdale Rd (with a pool), a GREAT area in the heart of Old Town Scottsdale with many restaurants, art galleries, bars, and Fashion Square Mall. There's a Paradise Bakery right across the street. The rate was approx. $40 per night (low season rates) and our room had a king size bed, flat screen TV, fridge, microwave, iron, hairdryer, coffee maker, desk, nightstands and dresser. On top of that, continental breakfast is served in the lobby each morning and coffee is available all day. My husband had no trouble getting up for coffee and muffins every day! The A/C was cold, shower hot, bed very comfortable (and double sheeted with a down comforter and six fluffy pillows) bathroom counter large enough and a very spacious room. The staff has basic toiletries in case you forget anything and loaned us a wine opener when we needed one. It is very quiet and we slept soundly. Our trip became extended for nearly a week (became a two week stay) and we would have felt like we were suffering in the stifling heat if not for knowing we had the comfort of our room to return to each night. There were four grocery stores (Trader Joe's, Sprouts, AJ's & Fry's) close by and we used a toaster oven to make some healthy meals interspersed with eating at a variety of restaurants. We walked every day in the Fashion Square mall since it was too hot to exercise outside and took advantage of Labor Day sales and going to a few movies. A 24 hour Walgreens pharmacy is just blocks away. The staff (especially Karen who we saw a lot) were very pleasant and helpful. Housekeeping responded quickly to every request we had for more towels, etc. This property has only recently become a Howard Johnson's and the rooms were completely remodeled. For two days, we had initially stayed at a Motel 6 a few blocks away on Camelback near Scottsdale Rd. Great location also but VERY basic - NONE of the amenities of this Howard Johnson's FOR THE SAME PRICE! We'll definitely come again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
KristyL710, General Manager at Howard Johnson Scottsdale Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2012

Thank you so much for your wonderful review of the Howard Johnson's Old Town Scottsdale. It has been a true pleasure having you with us for the last two weeks. I hope that when your travels bring you back to Scottsdale you will stay with us again.

Reviewed 4 August 2012

We were very happy with our stay at this Howard Johnson, Our room was NEW, clean and very comfortable. The Staff there and their hospitality was worth more than the room rate itself. They helped with directions and made us feel very welcome. I would highly recomend this hotel to anyone traveling in this area, Incredible rates too. We used the swimming pool outside a few nights and it was peaceful , private and relaxing. Cool pool lights too! We walked alot of places because the malls and old Scottsdale was so close. We also went to some great eating establishments within walking distance, they also have golf carts that take you where ever you want to go if you dont want to drive or walk. I will most definately be back.

Room Tip: I liked the lower floor the best, was closer to the car.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Tootsie238400
KristyL710, General Manager at Howard Johnson Scottsdale Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2012

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Howard Johnson's Scottsdale. It pleases me even more to know that my staff went above and beyond to exceed your expectations with their hospitality. I hope that you will join us again soon.