“Friendly Staff, excellent location”

Howard Johnson Scottsdale Old Town
Ranked #37 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Upon arrival out room wasn't ready. The manager went out to find out what was the hold up and After waiting too long I had to go find her to see if we could enter out room yet..she yelled from the 2nd story that our room was ready, so we went and our keys wouldn't work..we had already unloaded our car so I called to ask them to bing us a working key and the lobby girl said she was the only one in the lobby and I had to come back to get the key myself...had to load up my car again and went to lobby to find her and the manager there...she wasn't by herself. The room was clean. At check out the same rude manager from before was just as rude as the day prior... I would much rather pay more at a nicer place for better service.

• Stayed February 2014
KristyL710, General Manager at Howard Johnson Scottsdale Old Town, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
I have received your review and do apologize that you had issues during your check in. Karen the front desk clerk that you dealt with, not the manager was here by herself at the time you arrived. The desk is only staffed by one desk clerk during the day and they are advised that they cannot leave the area unattended. When you came back up for the key the evening girl must have arrived. I do apologize that you feel you were treated rudely, there is never an excuse for poor service. I hope that you would give us another chance and come back and try us again.
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Was excited to arrive. Just to pull back the blankets as I always do to inspect they were actually changed. Found hairs, small black particles abd it looked like it had been rolled in, slept in, you get the idea. I know this isn't a 5 star place , but I would expect them to replace linens, towels etc. Renovate. I called down and the clerk brought up new bedding, wrong size, called again, new bedding. More hairs , more stains. Maybe train housekeeping on doing laundry. Don't over fill washing machine so laundry agitates properly , results are cleaner. I don't know what the problem is. I just was to exhausted after driving ask day to end up changing sheets and waiting at 11pm. First negative review I've had to write. Positive. Helpful desk clerks. They tried. Not there fault.

• Stayed February 2014
Beaumont, California
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Best descriped as "Cheap and Cheerful", this is not a 5 star Hotel; however, it is very nice, comfortable and clean. It is reasonably priced and the big plus is the location. Just a few minutes walk south will take you into Old Town Scottsdale with all of it's shopping, art district, and restaurants and a short walk north will take you to the 5th Avenue shopping area and restaurants. We found the staff to be very friendly. The Continental Breakfast was adequate with a nice selection of bagels, fruit, and cereral. Trying to find out what was on TV was a challenge as there is no "guide" on the cable TV to find when a particular program was being shown. We stayed 3 nights and will definitely stay there again the next time we visit Scottsdale.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms would be quieter; however, there is no elevator access.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
KristyL710, General Manager at Howard Johnson Scottsdale Old Town, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and found the staff and facilities convenient and accommodating. We hope you will choose to stay with us again on your next visit to Scottsdale.