“Great time share location!”

Scottsdale Camelback Resort
Ranked #12 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

My husband and I own a time share with geo holidays chose this location as our first vacation. It's a lovely resort with plenty to do on site as well As being very close to downtown. We got a two bedroom, one and a half bathroom villa. The villas are spacious, with a full kitchen and a patio in the back. I do have a few problems with the villa though, the first being that the beds are stiff as a board, literally I feel like I slept on the floor. Secondly the tub in the master bedroom was at one time a jacuzzi tub but it doesn't work anymore. I feel like the rooms could be updated a little bit but overall I am satisfied. Oooh and one more thing, they never mentioned it when we made our reservation but they take a two hundred dollar deposit at the time of check in

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank pickytiffy

Reviewed 28 August 2013

They treat you very nice here - offering you water when you pull up and taking care of your car when you register. The room we had was great - a view of the garden with a large walk-out patio off to the side. It was a 2nd story room - with stairs - no elevator - so be aware of that if you have physical limitations.

We stayed in the summer (August) so we paid the off-season rate and also had a food& drink credit - so overall is was a very good deal. That also meant we had to deal with the heat - but the outdoor pool was an excellent source of refreshment. Lap lanes for the serious swimmers and plenty of comfortable lounge chairs for the sun worshipers. They are in the process of updating all the rooms and ours was recently redone - modern decorating and bath fixtures. The glass enclosed shower in a separate room from the vanity is a modern standard they meet very well.

This is a place for the spa crowd - which we didn't experience - so I can't comment on that. The overall feel of the place was very comfortable and inviting - from the couches in the happy hour bar to the outdoor seating for breakfast and dinner- if you can stand the heat. There is a .6 mile hike up the side of the mountain which gives you a nice view of Phoenix, but besides that it is not really an outdoor oriented complex. You can rent bikes and ride around the adjoining neighborhoods, which give you a feel for some of the nicer homes in Scottsdale. The internet was free but we had to plug in a cable - not very modern when you get Wi-Fi and rest areas nowadays. (this is a complaint about most Marriott properties that they will have to rectify sometime soon.)

The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. We were trying to do laundry at the complimentary laundry facilities (nice clean modern machine) but the water was turned off due to the remodeling work. A call was made and within 5 minutes the problem was fixed and a staff member showed up in the laundry room to apologize. I was impressed.

Another nice thing about the offseason (besides the price) was the lack of crowds for any service. The cocktail lounge, dining room, pool, laundry area, were all sparsely populated. We understand it can get a little crowded in the winter months. Not sure if I would want to pay full price and then have to deal with lots of people, but I would like to come back again when it is not 107 degrees.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the side patio on our 2nd floor room. Plenty of space to host a gathering if you are trav...
1  Thank lovestoroam78
Reviewed 16 August 2013 via mobile

This visit is my 16th year at this resort. It has great staff, lovely rooms, an excellent location and is very clean.

However in this day and age not offering free wifi to guests is quite frankly poor.

Yes there are free laptops in reception for guests; but I want to use my own phone and Mac when I am online.

We are here for 5-weeks And if we bought wifi every day it would cost $175 extra.

I've stayed in many resorts who charge both more and less for their rooms and yet still manage to give free wifi.

Come on SCR, sort this issue out please.

• Stayed: August 2013
7  Thank SMNewport
Julie W, Manager at Scottsdale Camelback Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2013

We are more than happy to see you return for 16 years! We appreciate your feedback as we look to make improvements to the resort to ensure our guests satisfaction. We look forward to your return!

Reviewed 15 August 2013

My wife and I have owned here for several years and visit each August from the UK
I have read some of the reviews and can honestly say that I am saddened by the comments. We have always found the Senior Management, the front desk, maintenance, housekeeping and the whole team to be so friendly, helpful and polite to us. The concierge system is extremely good and we have had so many pleasant trips around the area arranged by Jerry and Barbara.
Thank you all for a wonderful annual visit. For us it is like coming home and putting on a comfortable pair of slippers. Long may it last!!!!

3  Thank mjpdcook
Julie W, Manager at Scottsdale Camelback Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2013

We are thrilled that you feel our resort is like coming home! Thank you for the 5 star rating. We look forward to your return next year.

Reviewed 8 August 2013

My husband and I recently visited this resort and will not return.
We travel often, and there are many better choices in the area.

It is totally unacceptable to not offer in-room, free internet in the year 2013. We get it at RV resorts!

The complex is drab, dated. Our room was half-way updated with some new faucets some old, even in the same bathroom. The whirlpool tub did not work.

Cleaning staff left the radio on which startled us upon arrival. We thought some people were in the room.

The furniture was good.
The staff, which we only dealt with upon check-in, was pleasant.

The landscaping was nice and well maintained.

5  Thank USANancyS
Julie W, Director of Sales at Scottsdale Camelback Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2013

Thank you for your review. I am saddened to hear of your disappointment of our resort. I would like to discuss with you directly of your issues with the internet and the room decor so that we can learn from your experience. If you have the time and are willing, I would truly appreciate a phone call so that I can rectify these issues.

Julie Witt
Director of Marketing and Revenue
480-947-3300 ext. 528
jwitt@scrstaff.com

Reviewed 6 August 2013

The service here is awful. The first time we were here the cleaning ladies forgot that we were in the room (a glitch in their computer system supposedly.). Even after calling and asking for cleaning no one came for 3 days - and ironically, our room was right next door to the cleaning offices. I spoke with the general manager and she was totally rude and incompetent. Since they won't give me the owners' info there is no one to go to above her and my guess is that the owners have no idea how bad this place is because she will never report herself and no one can contact her superior. One was Lori one was Robin or Shannon. No management skills. No problem-solving skills. Was extremely rude saying that we didn't understand the issues then had to call back and eat her words.

2nd time - i asked for synthetic pillows when I reserved the room and then called the day of. We're allergic to down. Do you think the pillows were there after two calls? Nope. Had to call a third time even though the lady in reservations assured me she put the ticket in. I could tell you countless stories like this which show just how incompetent the staff are and how poorly managed this place is. When we got to lie room there was trash all over the yard area etc. The sheets were also very dirty (blood or something) when we first arrived. So annoying!! The people at the front desk, 3 out of 4 times have an attitude, and act like spoiled teenagers, like it's a hardship for them to be there or to answer questions or help with something. When you go to the pool at night, they have no towels there. They can't do a wash mid-day so that the pool towels are available??

The air filter was so dirty, you could scratch an inch off of it. We asked them to replace it the first day. Got the run around for 3 days and by day 4 when we were leaving, they told us it was on backorder, even though the facilities guy said he'd go to Ace Hardware or Home Depot to get a replacement if it's out of stock in their closet. Totally incompetent - they drop stuff all the time, never follow through - they're practically useless.

Why do we come here? For a cheap rate you get a 2 or 3 bedroom casita that is about 3x the price around here. The rooms are dated and not well kept. The restaurant and breakfast is a joke. But it's about the space for a family with kids. I may not come back after the last list of failures on their part and the staff's rudeness and lack of concern for their work. No one seems to take much pride in their work or in the place. Don't count on any good, timely or accurate service here. It's really bad!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Lisa L
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Rooms were clean but dated. Pool was eh, but bar and food good.
Front desk pretty unresponsive to requests such as I get that check in is at 4 but when you arrive with a baby and5 year old, holding you to to the exact minute is frustrating'
Also informed 2 people at front desk that we ha dating bird on patio for 3 days, they never came to help it, kind of sad

• Stayed: July 2013