“Nice Place”

Hilton Scottsdale Resort & Villas
Ranked #28 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed 11 March 2009

Just returned from a Spring Training jaunt. Hotel was very well located with plenty of dining/shopping options nearby.It's just the right size @ 250 or so rooms. Staff was friendly and professional and the place was impeccably landscaped. Particularly inviting was the huge courtyard with pool, hot tub and fun outdoor bar and grill. Business center was free and included 3 internet terminal pc's and 2 printers-very handy.

The only negative: as others have pointed out, the walls are painfully thin and you can very clearly hear what's going on in the hallway and in the 2 or 3 rooms surrounding yours. Short of tearing down and rebuilding - there's no fix for this.

I can see that if you had small children, noisy dogs or simply inconsiderate people for neighbors, it could a real vacation buster. Thankfully that wasn't the case for us this trip. As a plus the windows actually open and have a screen. So you get fresh cool desert air and "white noise" to help filter any interior noise you might encounter.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank gammon06
Write a ReviewReviews (1,540)

Reviewed 7 March 2009

I was a little nervous after reading the written reviews. The front desk personnel were very pleasant upon checkin. The rooms were clean and spacious. We particularly enjoyed the pool area with full service bar. In the afternoon an employee spoiled everyone poolside with chocolate chip cookies and fruit tarts (what a treat!). The chaise lounges were extremely comfortable with plenty of towels and lemon ice water on hand. This hotel definitely lives up to the Hilton motto. I would definitely stay again!

Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank bnj1999
Reviewed 3 March 2009

I was a little nervous because this hotel wasn't that high in the Scottsdale rankings. However, we had a wonderful time here. We checked in (I'm a hilton honors member) and we actually got a suite! It was fantastic and quite a surprise. Every hotel staff person I talked to was pleasant and very helpful. We had the bed and breakfast package, so we had breakfast every morning at the hotel. There are so many restaurants in the immediate area that we were happy with the location. We had dinner one night at the Fleming's that is connected to the Hilton and it was fantastic. The pool is really nice and we worked out every day in the gym. I thought it was a great hotel and we didn't want to leave.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 February 2009

First of all I got a great deal on this hotel through priceline. I highly recommend priceline to anyone looking for a great deal. I was excited to stay here knowing I needed a room to relax after surgery and the descriptions seemed heavenly. I searched this site for reviews on the hotel and got some great stories and advice. I had no idea reading these negative reviews would be like looking into a glass ball to my future stay...

First of all front desk staff...RUDE! I booked two nights but was told by the front desk that I might have to come back tomorrow to "Reset" my key because it "might not work tomorrow". The lady never made eye contact with me...never greated me. Just asked me for my credit card, handed me the key...and walked away. After driving to the area where my room was. I unloaded my luggage walked to the parking lot entrance to the hotel, inserted my "key" and NOPE didnt work. I had to repack my luggage into my vehicle drive to the front desk. I explained my situation to another girl and she apologized rescanned my key and gave me her business card to call her if I am stuck at the door again.

Finally I get into the room. And my first reaction was to laugh. It looked like a rook at Motel 6! Small room...small bathroom and WHAT?! Two full beds?! I clearly asked for 1 king. I mean it felt kinda awkward for me and my husband to sleep in seperate beds. He called the front desk to ask why we were given 2 doubles and she said "To get 1 king you must upgrade and there is a fee" I said forget it. I'm tired I wanna go to bed. So we pushed the beds together. I wanted to check my email. I called to the front desk and she said WiFi is a fee of $9.95 a day to use! Everywhere I looked there were options with a fee. It seemed like this hotel was more about making an extra dollar than about making their customers stay pleasurable. And the worst part was after surgery I get back to the hotel only to learn that the attendees to the event the hotel was holding had taken all the parking spaces. My husband had to park at a business across the street! So he dropped me off at the entrance door only to learn that my key didnt work. I had to wait in the little lobby area so my husband could get the key rescanned then take me to my room and drive across the street to park at another business. And the banging noise in the bathroom was something I had read on this site and when I heard it I just had to laugh. I am so glad I did not pay full price!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kanonaaz
HiltonScottsdale, Manager at Hilton Scottsdale Resort & Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2009

We have 24 hr Business Center with internet access at no charge.

Valet parking is available at no charge, there is not need to park across the street.

We do not sell upgraded rooms on discount websites.

Reviewed 13 December 2008

I was in AZ for a conference, and the conference hotel was booked, so this was one of the nearby overflow hotels. As far as a business hotel goes, it was above average: The decor was very nice, the rooms looked very clean, and the bed was very comfy (a big plus in my book after a long day). The staff were all very nice, and very accommodating to the large crowd of overflow patrons needing shuttling to/from the other hotel.

My favorites:
1. Big comfy bed with clean, crisp sheets; comfy pillows, warm covers. Everything about the bed was just right for what I needed (clean, comfy, warm bed to get a good night's sleep between meetings).
2. Friendliness and helpfulness of all staff I encountered, from the folks pulling the last hours of their night shifts at 5am to the daytime front desk staff.

My only complaints:
1. The odd sounds coming from the roof at night. I was on the top floor, and periodically at night the room would make a noise as if someone was walking on the roof. If I had someone else in my room, this probably wouldn't have freaked me out so much (I was traveling solo). I'm guessing it may have been the pressure change as the HVAC system turned on and off. Whatever it was - and I only heard it at night - it did hamper my ability to fall asleep (but not to stay asleep - see "warm comfy bed" comments above).
2. The aforementioned "Resort Fee" (see previous reviewer's comments on this issue; I agree w/all of them). I didn't think using the fitness center's treadmills for 30 mins every morning would cost more than what I was already paying for the room. If I had more time, to take advantage of the other Resort Fee amenities included in the fee, perhaps this wouldn't have been such a negative for me. Since most other business -- and many resort -- hotels include fitness center access as part of their costs, it was surprising to find out I had to pay to use it.

Would I stay here again? Sure, if I had to go back for work I certainly would. Maybe even try the restaurants if I had more time, get a drink at the bar, hang out in front of the beautiful fireplace, etc. Given the Resort Fee, I would probably look elsewhere if I was traveling w/family, to compare prices for similar hotels in the area and see if I could get free fitness access.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank CAHappy
HiltonScottsdale, Manager at Hilton Scottsdale Resort & Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2008

Our Resort Value Package is an optional charge. It includes unlimited use of the fitness center, buisness center, wireless internet, as well as drink and dessert coupons for our food and beverage outlets. We do not include the cost of the fitness center and wireless internet in the room rate since all guests do not use these amenities, therefore only guests that use them are charged.

Reviewed 22 November 2008

Stayed four days for a business meeting. The property is very nice, the rooms comfortable and the staff are friendly and considerate.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank mandb_Ottawa
Reviewed 12 October 2008

We stayed here for three nights on our Arizona vacation. This hotel was once owned by Merv Griffin and has maintained very high standards. The lobby, pool area and rooms are immaculate. We didn’t even see the spa and villas, or eat in the hotel restaurant. Our spacious room had a king size bed and a view of the pool. The location is very convenient – an easy drive to everything we wanted to see and do in Phoenix: Art Museums, Taliesin West, Botanical Garden. And in the immediate few blocks around the hotel, all within walking distance, are restaurants, Trader Joe’s, A.J.’s, Starbucks. The front desk staff was very helpful, check-in and checkout very easy, and housekeeping very efficient. Hilton beds are extremely comfortable. We even got a very good rate online at Travel-Ticker. Free self-parking made coming and going a pleasure by not having to constantly valet it. No complaints at all.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple