“Nice way to end our trip.”

Hilton Scottsdale Resort & Villas
Ranked #28 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed 30 August 2010

We stayed here the last night of our week long adventure to the Grand Canyon and Sedona. The rooms were nice and the pool area was huge. We were concerned about the negative reviews but were very satisfied with our stay. The gym was awesome and it was free. We would love to stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jerseyharry
doubletree1, General Manager at Hilton Scottsdale Resort & Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2010

Thank you being with us and for this very positive review. The reality is that many times people are more motivated to write a review, fill out a survey or to make contact with us if there was a problem than when things go well. Thank you for selecting our resort despite some of the negative comments and for taking the time to compliment and praise.

Reviewed 16 July 2010

Below average Hilton. Not sure where "Resort" comes from other than it is in Scottsdale. Frankly, when you walk around it you discover it could easily be a lower value-type hotel if they hadn't planted a few palm trees, etc. It was fine for a business trip (I was in and out the next day) but if you are thinking "desert vacation with the family" you will not be thrilled. Rooms are average, at best. Work out room substandard and you have to leave hotel and walk across parking lot to get to it. Only silver lining is they have a great high end steak house, Flemings, attached so you don't have to leave for a great meal (but you will pay for it, as is standard for Flemings). Workers pleasant enough but you can do better for the money, even as a business traveler, in the area.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank ronneedham
doubletree1, General Manager at Hilton Scottsdale Resort & Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2010

Thank you for your feedback. I apologize that we failed to meet your expectatons of a Hilton or a resort. We do get a lot of couples and families on pleasure trips as they enjoy the sunshine, our pool area, our F&B outlets, our location within Scottsdale and our levels of friendliness and service. It is clear that we did not show you our best. I welcome your comments and hope that you will contact us with more details on the issues you experienced so that they can be specifically addressed and resolved. We would like to earn another future opportunity to show you that we are better than this, for business or for pleasure.

Reviewed 5 July 2010

We booked this hotel for $40/night on Priceline, and being that I work at a hotel in Sedona, I know the kind of treatment a guest gets when they book through a third party site, that being said the service was still terrible.

We checked in at around 11 PM and the guy at the front desk, I wish I remembered his name, was very rude, and I got the feeling like he was doing something on his computer or TV somewhere else, because he seemed like he just wanted to get rid of us. Not once did he ask anything about our travels or anything.

As we were checking in he proceded to tell us we have a terrible room but for $20 dollars we could upgrade. We were only staying one night so decided it wouldn't be worth the upgrade.

We went up to our room, and as he told us, it was a terrible room. Excellent parking lot views, loud and obnoxious air conditioning that only worked when it felt like it, and the bathroom, through some weird design, had a door that opened inward. Meaning you would have to put your self into some contortionist yoga position just to get out of the bathroom, especially if you were getting out of the shower.

All that being said, we found it hard to complain because we had only paid $40 dollars for the room, so we looked past all of that and headed to dinner. On the way out, since it was late, we asked one of the staff members if we would be allowed to swim when we got back. He (one of the few people who knew about guest service) told us the pool closed at 10, but since we were on vacation, as long as we kept it down, it wouldn't be an issue if we went swimming, but if we made noise we would be asked to return to our room. This was TOTALLY understandable, exactly what we do at my hotel, and it makes you feel like you really are a guest of the hotel.

So we went to dinner excited to come back and swim, got down to the pool, and the same rude front desk agent told us we were not allowed to swim, and the pool was closed we would have to wait. All the staff needs to be on the same page. If they had told us this from the beginning it would have been understandable, but we were told one thing then told another. So we went up to our room and decided to go to sleep.

We woke up multiple times through the night due to the air conditioning turning its self off and the room getting above 80 degrees. We couldnt fall back asleep because it was so hot, and the 8 channels the TV offered couldn't keep us entertained. We got out of bed at 7 am (we love to sleep in) because we couldnt stand it anymore, and went out to the pool.

Now, the pool is awesome. Its very big, and there is tons of patio chairs, and a station that serves ice water. I think it was ice water, I didn't have any, but definitely a convinience in the hot Phoenix summer. We stayed in the pool until it was time to check out, and wished we could stay in the pool all day.

In Summary: Normally we pay full price and stay at nicer hotels, but since this was a spur of the moment decision, and we just wanted a place to relax and sit out by the pool I decided to pay on a cheap third party site. This was a mistake I will never make again. The room was understandable, you get what you pay for. For $40 dollars the room was better than a $40 room you would get at a highway side motel, but the service was not. No matter how you pay you should be treated with the same level of respect and service that all guests get. Whether I get a low end room for $40 or a villa for $1700 there should be no difference in how you get treated by the front desk. When someone is on vacation at a hotel, especially a Hilton, you should feel like you truly our a guest, not like you are intruding on someone. Needless to say I will never stay here again, solely on the staff members attitude. You can always make a stay better next time by upgrading to a new room, but you can't upgrade how a staff member is. Maybe I am just spoiled because of my experience in the industry, but anyone could tell you this is not how you act towards a guest.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank HashtagCreditCard
doubletree1, General Manager at Hilton Scottsdale Resort & Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2010

I would like to apologize for the issues you experienced as our guest of the Hilton Scottsdale. I reviewed your comments with my Director of Front Office and he will follow up with the front desk agent who was not friendly or helpful during the evening of your stay. I also notified maintenance of the air conditioning issue. I am glad that despite these problems, you did enjoy our pool area the next day. I do hope that you'll return to enjoy our pool again and provide us with another opportunity to show you the level of service, friendliness and caring that you'd expect from a Hilton hotel. Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 17 June 2010

Some of our friends booked this place through Priceline but they booked for the wrong weekend and decided to let us have it since there were no refunds/changes. We called the hotel before we left and explained the situation to them to see if there would be a problem checking in since the reservation was in someone elses name. We were told, that's not a problem at all, that happens all the time, just tell them that the reservation is in someone elses name. We get there to check in and tell them its under our friends name and they said it was a problem and couldn't check us in. They said the person who made the reservation would need to call and tell them that we would be using their reservation. We contacted our friends and had them call the hotel and the same guy that told us to have them call then told them that they would need to call priceline and have then call the hotel. After 30 minutes of calling an waiting they decided to check us in. We usually stay at Marriott or W hotels and were suprised to see how bad Hilton was. Their rooms are small and outdated, the pool was dirty, the beds were very small and uncomfortable, and the pillows were very flat. The window from our room faced East. At 5:45 in the morning the sun woke us up because the curtains did not keep out the light, they were too short to cover the window. I found the beds to be comparable to those found in a Motel 6. Never staying at a Hilton again.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank elitetravelerPhoenix
doubletree1, General Manager at Hilton Scottsdale Resort & Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2010

I responded shortly after being notified of this review but since I have not seen my response being posted yet, I wanted to try again. I apologize for the confusion related to your Priceline reservation and for the issues you experienced during your stay. I have reminded all staff that any changes to Priceline reservations does need to go through Priceline as that is where the reservation and payment were made. I agree that staff needs to remain consistent in this message. I have also passed on the issues you experienced to my houskeeping and engineering staffs for them to address. Thank you for your feedback and we do hope we can earn another opportunity to show you we are better than this.

Reviewed 14 June 2010

I was recently in AZ and chose this hotel as our place for our 1 week business stay while working in Phoenix. I hold Hilton in high standards and this hotel met up to my expectations with a few exceptions. The hotel is older but they have done a nice job keeping it up to date. The staff, well, most were friendly but no one was overly nice as described in some of these reviews. The hotel is large and is easy to get around. There is a Fleming's Steak House right next to the hotel but it is pricey so bring your wallet. There is a nice business center near the hotel lobby and a hotel concierge. There is also a rental car place inside so it makes it easy if you want to go that route. The location of this hotel is great. There are lots of restaurants around and they are easy to get to. I was in a King Suite by the pool area that had a small patio area but it was not seperate from the room next door so if the other tenants were outside, there is really no privacy. The rooms are nice but the AC was hard to adjust the first few days and it was a little loud. TV is nice but no DVD. There is an honor bar and you have to ask for the key to get into the fridge. The pool area is big and is quite nice. They have fresh towels everywhere and you are allowed to drink (I think) as long as it's not in a glass container. There is a jacuzzi that I did not use but it's there if that's what you like. There is also an excercise room but I think that it cost $15 day for access so be sure to ask first. The bar is cool at night and is fully stocked. We paid $7.25 for a strawberry daquiri and we thought it was decent for a Hilton bar. They have 3-4 different types of draft beers but it was hot and wanted something fruity. I think the hotel needs to push the bar more and offer appetizers or half price drinks during happy hour and I think more people would of taken advantage of it. All in all it's what I would expected from a Hilton. If you ask me for a grade, I would say it's a strong B+ and would return. I may opt to stay at a nearby Doubletree next time just so I could compare the difference.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
doubletree1, General Manager at Hilton Scottsdale Resort & Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2010

Thank you for selecting our resort and for this kind feedback as well as your suggestions on how we might make the guest experience even better. I apologize that you did not find the our staff overly friendly as that is what most distinguishes us from the rest. We will share this with our staff, as well as your other ideas, in order to enhance the products and service we provide. Beyond Flemings, we do have a more moderately priced restaurant, The BlueFire Grill, within the resort. I do hope we'll see you again soon.

Reviewed 14 June 2010

I travel extensively for business and I always enjoy staying at the Scottsdale Hilton. The rooms are clean and updated and the staff is top-notch. Fleming's (exceptional steakhouse) is on the property.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business

Thank you for your past and continued business and loyalty to our resort. We will always work hard to deserve it and the praise you gave of the property and our staff.

Reviewed 10 June 2010

We stayed for two nights at the Hilton Scottsdale. There is a lovely pool area with a nice bar that offered drink specials in the evening. The breakfast bar was quite good, lots of hot items to choose from,also a nicely displayed fruit selection was included. I purchased several items in the gift shop. The prices there were very reasonable.There were several good restaurants in walking distance which was a plus. . All in all a nice stay.

Stayed: April 2010

Thank you for being with us and for this very positive review. We are pleased that you enjoyed yourself and our resort. From the picture you had on your review, I should tell you that we have a great "Shopaholics" package available on the Hilton website you might want to check out. You mentioned great restaurants but we are also surrounded by great shopping and we do provide complimentary shuttle service to both up and down Scottsdale Road.