“Great accommodation but in a noisy area”

Scottsdale Marriott Suites Old Town
Ranked #36 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed 11 April 2011

My husband and I have just spent 3 nights at the Old Town Suites. The room size was great and the standard of cleanliness was excellent, furnishings neat and tidy and the bed was comfy. However, we were there during the spring baseball training sessions and the whole place was buzzing with fans. Although this meant for a fantastic atmosphere during the day and evening, it resulted in little sleep at night due to the noise from drunken revellers making their way to their hotels in the early hours of the morning. This is obviously out of the control of the hotel so I am not blaming them. I would stay here again but I would insist on having a room to the back of the hotel. We were given free breakfast at the hotel to compensate for the inconvenience.

Room Tip: Book a room at the back.
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 0003she

Reviewed 28 March 2011

The Marriott was a great experience. It was my friend and I's first time to Phoenix and this hotel was in the best location, we walked everywhere. There are many great restaurants nearby and the fashion square mall is a 10 minute walk. The front desk service was very very good, very accommodating and made our stay! They were able to get us into a beautiful room at an early check-in, and allowed us to store our bags and use the pool area on our last day after we checked out as our flight was leaving late. The rooms are a good size, clean and the bed was very comfortable. The staff are very helpful, friendly and we felt they always wanted to check in to make sure our stay was going well. We would definitely stay there again!

1  Thank reenato
Reviewed 26 March 2011

I've stayed at this hotel twice in the past month for business. What an enjoyable stay! I get a lot of work done in this hotel. Could I change it into my office?? The room is spacious and well laid out. You have to pay for parking under the hotel, but I see that a lot of people park on the street. The hotel is conveniently located to everything and I love that I can walk around. I would love to bring my family here at some point and we would definitely stay at this hotel.

1  Thank bienemy
Reviewed 11 March 2011

I decided to burn up some Marriott Rewards points and spend a few days hiking in my happy place, Arizona. (2 days business + 5 days fun) so I stayed in Old Town for the great restaurants and the Art walk. Drove to Apache Junction every morning to hike. This Marriott is in the middle of it all. Great location. The front desk staff were very good. Restaurant service was slow, slow, slow. To be fair, it was Spring Training. I wasn't in a hurry, so no issue for me. One thing that bugged me. Valet offers me self park for $9 daily. Or they will valet it for $13 per day. I pointed at the street, 40 paces away and asked about "street parking" he said, "no charge." I wish Marriott would lose the "ad on mentality" I live in Marriott's, I am a fan. But get all the extras in the original quote. All in all, this was a good to great stay, great front desk staff, great location.

2  Thank jimvet1826
Reviewed 4 December 2010

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend getaway. This hotel is within a pedestrian area of Scottsdale with restaurants and shops aplenty. You get the traditional "old town" experience with a hip vibe. This "vibe" does translate to clubs, which accounted for the noise (loud music and lots of car noise) that did make it somewhat challenging for me to fall asleep. This was my third stay at this hotel but the first time that the outside noise was so apparent. I can only attribute it to the location of our room, which must have been closer to Scottsdale Rd. (My next stay, I will request a quiet room.) However, the interior of the hotel was very quiet, so I would rather hear traffic noise than guests yelling in the hallways.

The front desk staff members are wonderful. They are friendly, cheerful, and make you feel like a valued guest. I have experienced this personalized treatment on all 3 visits. This time at check-in, I mentioned to Meagan that it was my husband's birthday, and she comped us an in-room movie! When we checked out the next morning, she again wished him happy birthday.

The hotel lobby and lounge area are quite small, but since the hotel is surrounded by some of the best restaurants in town, there is little need to hang out in the hotel. For dinner, we ate at Wildfish Grille (on Camelback) and enjoyed excellent service and impeccably prepared food. (Our meal, which included appetizers, main dish & sides, and desert--no wine--was just over $100--money very well spent!)

The suites boast a large sitting area that can be closed off from the bedroom with frosted French doors. The bathroom has a sink area separate from the toilet/bath. There is also a separate tub and shower (although the shower is a bit small). The living area has a comfy couch and chair, desk, large flat-screen TV, and a good-sized mini refrigerator.

I would highly recommend this hotel if you are traveling with family because the suite is so roomy. Ask for a parlor suite, which features a Murphy bed in the living area (much more comfortable than the pull out sofa).

We had a great rate (and we're entering AZ's hotel high season), which included breakfast.

The hotel is clean, well run, and within the action of Old Scottsdale--a bit too much action at night was my only concern.

Note that parking is $9 per/day self; $13 for valet.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TravelSavvyMomAZ
Reviewed 20 November 2010

We are from Phoenix and decided to stay overnight in Scottsdale to celebrate our anniversary. We chose this hotel for location and it did not disappoint!! It is walking distance from lots of bars and restaurants. That being said... everything was great! Check-in was a breeze, and our room was on the 7th floor with sweeping views to the mountains beyond. The room seemed and smelled brand new, so I believe we had a room that was recently updated. The suite had a balcony, and the bedroom had french doors to close off the living room if need be. The bathroom was clean and spacious; and had a nice bathtub separate from the glass enclosed shower stall. There was a wet bar area with sink, and 2 flat screen TVs (one in living room- one in bedroom). Since the building is made of brick, it was quiet and comfortable. The staff was friendly, although we did not have much interaction. We did not eat on property, but did get coffee to-go (they "proudly brew Starbucks") from the restaurant downstairs. We parked across the street so did not pay the extra cost. All in all it was a great stay-- would definitely do it again!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mshndv
Reviewed 14 October 2010

The hotel was fine, but dated. The rooms were large and are all suites. This would probably work well for a family. Personally, I couldnt get over the fact that everything from the elevators to the bathrooms seem to have been done in the 80's and have yet to be refurbished. If you want to be close to Old Town Scottsdale to drink, this is probably the place as you can walk to all the restaurants and bars in the area.

Buffet breakfast was fair. Adequate, but it didnt come with the room, I would have felt overcharged.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business