“Worth every one of its 5 diamonds, w/ neat details!!”

Fairmont Scottsdale Princess
Ranked #14 of 76 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed 24 January 2014

I was blown away by how fantastic this resort was. So many things to do, and so many things to see. The hotel is located on a massive acreage about 35 mins from sky harbour, and 15 mins from old Scottsdale. Literally the BEST spa I've ever been to, and as a spa person, that's saying something. The spa is massive, has multiple baths, waterfalls, extensive lounge areas, and a roof top pool! The treatments were pricey, but well worth the experience as you can stay and enjoy the spa all day when you have a treatment done. There are 4 other pool onsite, one of which is more adult friendly, with a bar and servers, but very little shade. One is more family friendly, with 2 waterslides, a beach-like entrance for toddlers/babies, and lots of trees and coverage. They had these spacious cabanas you could rent for a fee, that had views of the pool, flat screen tbs, stocked mini fridges, couches, and fans. I didn't get one, but it would be perfect if you have children. There was another pool that was kind of like a lap pool, but also had nets set up for water volleyball and things like that. The other pool was over by the casitas, but I was told it was just a simple pool, with no bells or whistles, so I didn't check it out. I was really impressed with the restaurants, especially the Mexican restaurant with the buffet. It was quite the cultural experience! Steak was fantastic, as always, but pricey, as always. Stop in to see their wine room, it was very beautiful! Some neat little things about the hotel are the cactus garden, which offers a large variety of indigenous cacti. I found this very interesting, being from Canada, where there are lots of trees, but no cacti to speak of ;) There was also a very nice lagoon near the adult pool, that was not only perfect for photo ops, but also noticed people fishing out of it! There are 2 TPC golf courses onsite, and tennis courts, though I didn't experience either of those. I had the most economical room, the Fairmont room, and was very surprised how great it was considering it was meant to be the lowest category. Super spacious, super quiet, awesome bathroom with a deep soaker tub and separate shower. The staff was simply unbelievable! From offering me a huge discount on shoes at purchased at a shop to giving me extra complimentary drinks to seating me at tables with great views, all I had to do was mention it was my birthday, and they made each individual experience that much more amazing! The only downside was that most of the other guests were nasty, hostile, elitists, but from what I understand that's kind of par for the course in Scottsdale, and really is not something the resort can control. I had an amazing experience, and hope to return asap!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
FairmontScottsdale, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont Scottsdale Princess, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Dear Mpjotraveler,

Thank you for spending your birthday with us at the Fairmont Scottsdale Princess! We are glad to hear you enjoyed a wonderful time on your special day at the spa and throughout the property. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences. Yes, catch-and-release fishing is one of the favorite activities here, along with appreciating the unique cactus of the Sonoran Desert. (Next time, meet Cecil, our resident desert tortoise in his habitat near La Hacienda restaurant!) We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Valerie Lee
Director of Public Relations

Write a ReviewReviews (3,564)

Reviewed 24 January 2014

2nd stay, beautiful resort with several pools.
Rooms are large and well equipped. Negative point this year was the smell that emanated from the shower...
Food is good. I recommend la Hacienda. Bars are comfortable and wide open - great for an after dinner drink with colleagues - with possibilities for grand gatherings and for more confidential conversations.
Wifi is expensive and found a bit petty the fact that orange juice is at an extra cost in a 23$ buffet breakfast...

Very functional meeting space and great catering.

Reviewed 23 January 2014

Definitely a beautiful resort, but checking out with additional charges like parking when I took a cab in and a cab out, dampened an otherwise nice stay.
Good room, pricey but terrific bar and restaurants. Friendly intelligent staff.
Loved the outdoor fire pits around the resort.

1  Thank Bobwphilly
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Favorite Scottsdale hotel. Love the casitas, love the restaurants and love the pools. However, seeing the below charges added onto an already inflated room rate just makes me mad. See below:

a. I've had high speed internet access at the hotel for the past 5 years, for free as I am a president's club member. In this day and age, it is ridiculous to say that it is no longer free, but "faster" for club members.

b. Who uses your landlines for unlimited long distance service these days? I'm already paying AT&T for this service on my cell phone. As is the rest of civilization.

c. I do not travel to the resort with a car. (Used to be $20 valet and $10 self park.)

d. I do not have children.

e. The fitness center (I've never used) is not impressive.

f. I do not require golf cart shuttle service to take me to dinner or to the pool areas as the resort is just not THAT large.

g. Yay! I get to pay for 50% off entry.

h. I don't play tennis.

Again, it's the best resort I've stayed at in AZ. But I think you've narrowed your demographic and it makes me feel ridiculous to stay here and pay an extra $30+ a night for these ridiculous/non-applicable reasons.

I like to stay in the resort and eat at your restaurants and drink your wines...Yet, if I played tennis, called "long distance" for hours from your landlines, got daily daycare for 3 children and mandated golf cart transportation everywhere I needed to go, I'd be set. That's awesome Fairmont. Thanks!

RESORT SERVICE CHARGE
As of May 1, 2013 , some of the Fairmont Scottsdale Princess’ most sought-after amenities are now bundled into a daily resort service charge eliminating multiple individual charges and providing a discount value for services.

The resort service charge includes:
• Unlimited basic internet access in your guest rooms and resort public areas, wireless and wired. (Fairmont President’s Club Members receive upgrade to premium speed internet access)
• Any local, domestic long distance (contiguous 48 states) and 1-800 access calls from your guest room
• Complimentary self-parking for one vehicle per room
• Complimentary admission to Trailblazers kid’s adventure club access for up to three children (lunch fee additional)
• Access to 24 hour Fairmont Fitness Center
• On-site shuttle transportation service (guest rooms, restaurants, spa, pool and meeting space)
• 50% discount off Well & Being at Willow Stream Spa daily access fee including complimentary fitness and wellness classes, waterfall treatment pool, sauna, rooftop pool and more.
• Complimentary court time on one of five tennis courts; one hour per day per room

The total charge of $29 plus tax will be added to your guest room folio . Fees included for services will be adjusted off final bill. Fitness classes, tennis court time and Trailblazers kid’s adventure club subject to space available. Total value of service charge if all services used at basic levels and purchased individually is approximately $180.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank LakeWa
FairmontScottsdale, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont Scottsdale Princess, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

Dear LakeWa,

We are so pleased to learn the Fairmont Scottsdale Princess is your favorite hotel! That is very important to us, as we value you a loyal guest. Thank you for your feedback regarding the resort fee. To give you the background, the Princess was the last the upscale resort in the Valley to add a resort fee, as all our competitors had added the fee over the past five years. We previously thought our guests preferred the al a carte menu options, but after reading feedback from customers and hosting a focus group of travelers, we found that most customers had become accustomed to paying a resort fee and preferred the value of the bundled amenities in a resort fee rather paying for the services they selected to use during their stay individually. Now, it is common practice for resorts to bundle what had been optional services into a basic resort fee at check-in. We recently adopted this program and the majority of feedback has been positive. On your next visit, if you would like to contact me personally, we can customize your visit to meet your needs. We sincerely value your feedback and do hope to have the opportunity to serve you again soon.

Valerie Lee
Director of Public Relations

Reviewed 21 January 2014 via mobile

The grounds here are beautiful! We stayed over a very busy weekend in scottsdale (fancy car show) and the pools almost felt empty. There were always available chairs and sun beds as well as excellent service around the pool. This place was an absolute treat! It is a bit pricey (drinks by the pool were $14) but we enjoyed it very much. The best part was the outdoor bar with mini fire pits! Overall the ambience was fabulous. So sad thinking about how we were only there for 2 nights!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Stayed at the Fairmont Scottsdale this January for business. I have been here before with my family many years ago and had an excellent stay both times. They have made some nice updates to the property including an outdoor bar with fire pits, and an excellent steak house, Bourbon Steak. The staff was extremely welcoming and although they all seemed to be younger then you would expect for a 5 star resort, they were all refreshingly professional and pleasant. I also really like the special touch they add by burning the mesquite in the fireplace. It's something I always remembered about this hotel and as soon as I arrived it brought back great memories.

On criticism would be that the rooms feel like they are stuck in the 80's. A part of me liked it but I do think it's time for some upgrades.

Overall great resort that I would recommend for both business and personal travel.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

This is not your typical Fairmont - it is huge with impressive gardens and landscaping - but it is just a bit over the top for me. It goes without saying that golfers will love it given the quality of the courses. The spa and fitness center are world class. I would strongly suggest booking in for a treament as you will gain access to the rooftop pool area which far superior to the other pool areas - much more tranquil.

Room Tip: Whenever possible, we try to stay at the Fairmont Gold part of a property - much better quality room...