“You are probably coming here for a conference”

Fairmont Scottsdale Princess
Ranked #12 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
San Francisco, California
“You are probably coming here for a conference”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

I reviewed this same hotel about 3 years ago and gave it 5 stars at the time. Now I am back and have a little bit different point of view. I really want to love this hotel: the grounds are beautiful; there are pools and slides; there are several restaurants; you can easily walk onto the tennis courts or golf course; the rooms are spacious and very clean.

Here is the rub: most people seem to stay here because they are attending a nearby conference - either on the grounds of the hotel or nearby. In fact, the last time I stayed here was for a job interview. I think that when a hotel is very nice but geared for the masses versus very nice and geared to a top-notch visitor experience, it makes a difference.

I don't know what the rate is that I was charged (I was here for a conference). Again, all of the great things about this hotel, I listed and they are very good (in fact, I still give the place 4 stars). It's the little things when you are at a hotel like this, though, that get noticed and take away from a flawless experience:

- Petty charges ($15/day for internet access; a charge to park your car)
- Very late check-in: Rooms are not available for check-in until 4pm. I arrived at 2pm. I was told that I could come back in 2 hours but maybe there would be a room before that - maybe in 45 minutes but really, they said, they just have no idea. "Our systems are reactive, not proactive" I was told (whatever that means). I gave my phone number to the desk and was told they would call when a room came available. They did not call - they texted (little things - this is a really impersonal way to interact with a guest). I should mention I was permitted to check-in by 3:10pm.
- In the meantime, I left my car with the valet. I told him I would be 2 hours or less. My car was moved out to sit in the blazing sun - this is Scottsdale in early May in the early afternoon when the mercury starts to flirt with 100 degrees. I learned that a vaguely yellow/green banana can become brown and over-ripe in a very very short amount of time.

You are probably coming for a conference and you will very much like this property. If you are coming on your own dime and considering this general area, I would urge you to consider the Westin or another hotel that is walking distance to the excellent shops and restaurants of Kierland and Scottsdale Quarter (these are accessible to the Fairmont, but too far to walk on the ugly and busy Scottsdale Road in the blazing desert sun).

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank eyeterri
FairmontScottsdl, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont Scottsdale Princess, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear eyeterri,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay and we value your feedback. We are always delighted to see a familiar face return, although are disappointed you were not as pleased on this visit. Our resort is indeed is a popular destination for meetings and events. At the same time, we still offer a vacation paradise leisure travelers have come to love, including award-winning restaurants, family activities, championship golf and a premier spa.

We wholeheartedly agree that the smallest details can make a visit special. Our apologies for any confusion regarding your check-in. Should you stay with us again, I think you will find our convenient resort fee to be an excellent value. For $29 (instead of $180 if purchased a la carte), our guests receive our most sought-after amenities, including Wi-Fi, complimentary self-parking, kids club, tennis and so much more. We hope to welcome you back to the Princess again soon, whether for business, pleasure, or a bit of both.

Director of Public Relations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (649)
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

We were supposed to stay there for just one night but we enjoyed this hotel so much that we extended for one more night and had to drive 1200km straight after that to get home! totally worth it! Loved the pool and the architecture of the hotel. Very attentive staff. Find a shaded parking spot in summer!

Room Tip: Don't know if all rooms come with balconies or not, but if not, definitely get a room with balco...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Navhe
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

Stayed here for a company conference recently. The resort grounds are lovely. Flowers and great views everywhere. The pools are well kept, There is a lagoon for fishing. The room we had was nice but not spectacular. Loved the fact there are so many seating area's outside. There are fire pits everywhere to warm you if the desert nights are too cool. This was a huge company function but the waitstaff was up to the challenge. We were wearing nametags so they typically addressed us by name. The food was only so so, but with that many people at one time I could understand. It is, like other Golf connected resorts, out by itself. You'll need a car or rent one at the Enterprise stand in the lobby

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
FairmontScottsdl, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont Scottsdale Princess, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Dear janicefrogtravel,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay. It’s wonderful to know your conference went well and that you were pleased with the service at your function. It sounds like you even found time to enjoy a few leisurely pursuits as well. Our resort is designed to take advantage of Scottsdale’s year-round sunshine, as you saw first-hand with our many pools, fire pits and outdoor activities. We hope we have a chance to serve you again soon

Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

Had a day at the Fairmont Princess Scottsdale Hotel to entertain a teenage relative since our pool is still floating ice cubes. This time of year no day spa rates available so booked a room for 24 hours to enjoy the pool and amenities. A little pricey for 9 hours of fun in the sun/pool but enjoyed our short stay. Could have stayed overnight but just showered and changed clothes after a day in the pool . Attentive pool service and good "box lunches" . As a "local" I have always enjoyed the holidays at the Fairmont so it was a natural pick for me. Promised 9 AM check in near the pool but got checked in at 11AM and not so near the pool without binoculars - but, hey, I enjoyed the stroll through the beautiful grounds.

Room Tip: Our room was overlooking the parking lot - 2nd floor - not first floor and not near the pool even t...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
FairmontScottsdl, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont Scottsdale Princess, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear TravelingGal977,

Thank you for spending your day with us, poolside. We are delighted to be your stay-cation destination! We appreciate your patience during check-in and apologize for any misunderstanding if we fell short of your expectations. Our standard check-in time is 4 p.m., so we are glad to see you were accommodated as early as 11 a.m. We do our very best to honor all guest requests and process arrivals in a timely manner. We hope to see you back again this year for Christmas at the Princess, but coming next is Summer at the Princess and our Fourth of July Freedom Fest. If we can assist you in anyway, please let us know. We look forward to welcoming you back, soon!

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

This is a beautiful hotel that has a lot to offer. We stayed here for a week and had a phenomenal time. A few recommendations: 1) We upgraded to gold club when we arrived. This was a great deal, for an extra $150 you get breakfast (really good one too, not your typical hotel free breakfast), free access to a phenomenal spa, and all day access to a lounge that allows the kids to get drinks - just a great deal. This was our favorite part of the hotel. The staff was also excellent in the lounge. 2) As for the staff in the rest of the hotel, it was a little sad. The hotel is just amazing, but they service is just poor. From the spa, to the pools, to the housekeeping staff - just poor service. They need a lot more people at the pool, we consistently had to wait over 30 minutes just to get someone's attention and then another 30 minutes to get our drinks (recommend walking up to the bar, BTW the sangria is really good). Same goes for the spa, a truly world class facility with average service. One of the staff literally made my wife feel like she was a leper and refused service, the manager fell down here a little bit too. She offered free access to the spa (even though it was already included in our room) but didn't follow up later or anything. Now, in the Fairmont's defense, it seemed liked this was a systemic problem in all of the places we visited all over in Arizona ... 3) If you have young kids, definitely recommend fishing in the ponds. My son caught his first fish (ever) after only 15 minutes.

Overall, we will definitely come here again, but we will manage our expectations when it comes to service.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Patrick,

Thank you for choosing the Fairmont Scottsdale Princess and reviewing your family’s recent week-long stay. Upgrading to Fairmont Gold at check-in is a terrific choice, for all the reasons you noted. We value your feedback and are surprised to learn that the service in all other areas of the resort failed to meet your expectations and our own high standards. Your experiences by the pool and in our spa do not reflect our typical levels of service. You deserve to have the best of both worlds here at the Princess—exceptional accommodations and service—and I am confident that a return visit will be dramatically different. We are also thrilled to learn your son caught his first fish! Please let us know if we can assist in planning a future stay.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

After a terrible winter, the Fairmont Scottsdale Princess provided everything I needed to put the cold behind. From the moment I arrived I was treated like royalty...the doorman saw my name on my luggage and said they were expecting me and I had my keys in hand without even going to the front desk. I was whisked to my Gold Villa in a cart driven by a very friendly an informative guide, I wish I could remember his name...he explained many of the plants, florals and wildlife on the property, it was like a personal guided tour.

My Gold Villa was beautiful...huge sparkling clean bathroom with fluffy white towels and very tasteful appointments. There were more than enough drawers and the closet was perfect with racks high enough so my long dresses didn't touch the floor. And we had a private deck for lounging while watching gorgeous parrots as well as countless other pretty birds. The room was so well maintained and clean...smelled fresh, very relaxing!

Every interaction with staff was beyond pleasant...Clayton at the spa pool made us feel like rock stars! Another Princess Margarita please!

You shouldn't miss the spa here....it's fabulous! The pool is an oasis.

The food is top notch with so many choices it's hard to commit. Even the Healthy Lifestyle menu made me want to order every single item...those we did have were packed with flavor...who knew we were being good?!

La Hacienda is one of the best Mexican restaurants I've ever been to, including those in Mexico! Don't pass the chance to have a flaming coffee drink prepared table side.

Bourbon Steak gave us one of the very best desserts I've ever had...Beignets with assorted creme brûlées for dipping....I just realized I love Scotch...in butterscotch pudding....thank you!!

Just so happens our trip fell over Easter Sunday...we skipped the brunch in favor of pool time, but we did not miss the petting zoo! A pen filled with adorable barnyard animals AND donkey rides for the little ones...precious.

We plan to make this an annual trip...I'd go monthly if I could manage, at least we have this perfect trip to look forward to again.

Room Tip: For a small daily charge you can upgrade to Gold for access to the awesome Gold Lounge with breakfas...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Alice F,

Thanks for taking the time to review your stay. Your words were a delight to read and we couldn’t be happier that you enjoyed your time here at the Fairmont Scottsdale Princess. As you found, a stay in one of our Gold suites is the perfect antidote to a long winter, a busy time at work, and just about anything else. We take every measure to ensure your comfort, and no request is too big or too small for our dedicated staff. I will be sure to pass along your compliments to my colleagues. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Princess very soon. If you would like any assistance planning an Easter weekend stay or a more spontaneous getaway before then, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.

Fort Mcmurray
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

My 16 year old daughter and I enjoyed a quick holiday together at the Fairmont Scottsdale Princess. The room, pools and facilities were generally great, although we were very disappointed to learn that a person under 18 could not attend fitness classes, even with supervision, although we could have a massage together. The desk staff at the spa encouraged me to use all their amenities, but made it clear that my daughter could not, even after I said it was a mother daughter vacation. We made the most of the other facilities available, but for this reason I would not stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Dear Tania,

Thank you for visiting and sharing your thoughts. It sounds like your stay at the resort was mostly enjoyable, although I was dismayed to learn of your disappointment at Well & Being Spa and wish that we could have done more to accommodate you and your daughter. I do apologize if there was confusion over our age policy (18) for using the spa facilities, we do our best to make sure it is properly noted on our printed literature and website. Our policy is designed to ensure the spa facilities remain a mature, adult sanctuary as well as designed to ensure the safety and comfort of our guests. While I have no doubt your daughter would have behaved appropriately, this is an area of our operation where consistency is important. For future reference, we do have a more relaxed policy in our salon which would allow for both of you to enjoy salon services together in the dedicated salon building adjacent to the spa. We appreciate your understanding and hope to welcome you back to the Princess again one day.

Director of Public Relations
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scottsdale
The Phoenician, Scottsdale
#16 of 75 in Scottsdale
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,123 reviews
Troon North
Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
Paradise Valley
The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa

Been to Fairmont Scottsdale Princess? Share your experiences!