I reviewed this same hotel about 3 years ago and gave it 5 stars at the time. Now I am back and have a little bit different point of view. I really want to love this hotel: the grounds are beautiful; there are pools and slides; there are several restaurants; you can easily walk onto the tennis courts or golf course; the rooms are spacious and very clean.
Here is the rub: most people seem to stay here because they are attending a nearby conference - either on the grounds of the hotel or nearby. In fact, the last time I stayed here was for a job interview. I think that when a hotel is very nice but geared for the masses versus very nice and geared to a top-notch visitor experience, it makes a difference.
I don't know what the rate is that I was charged (I was here for a conference). Again, all of the great things about this hotel, I listed and they are very good (in fact, I still give the place 4 stars). It's the little things when you are at a hotel like this, though, that get noticed and take away from a flawless experience:
- Petty charges ($15/day for internet access; a charge to park your car)
- Very late check-in: Rooms are not available for check-in until 4pm. I arrived at 2pm. I was told that I could come back in 2 hours but maybe there would be a room before that - maybe in 45 minutes but really, they said, they just have no idea. "Our systems are reactive, not proactive" I was told (whatever that means). I gave my phone number to the desk and was told they would call when a room came available. They did not call - they texted (little things - this is a really impersonal way to interact with a guest). I should mention I was permitted to check-in by 3:10pm.
- In the meantime, I left my car with the valet. I told him I would be 2 hours or less. My car was moved out to sit in the blazing sun - this is Scottsdale in early May in the early afternoon when the mercury starts to flirt with 100 degrees. I learned that a vaguely yellow/green banana can become brown and over-ripe in a very very short amount of time.
You are probably coming for a conference and you will very much like this property. If you are coming on your own dime and considering this general area, I would urge you to consider the Westin or another hotel that is walking distance to the excellent shops and restaurants of Kierland and Scottsdale Quarter (these are accessible to the Fairmont, but too far to walk on the ugly and busy Scottsdale Road in the blazing desert sun).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- From the moment you set foot on the grounds of the AAA/CAA Five Diamond Fairmont Scottsdale Princess, you are surrounded by a mystical landscape of lagoons, fountains, fire pits, colorful desert plants and expansive green spaces – all set amid the sun-drenched Sonoran Desert and the majestic McDowell Mountains of Arizona. Blending exquisite pampering and warm, personalized service with alluring Spanish-style architecture and outdoor adventure, the Fairmont Scottsdale Princess offers all of the superb amenities you expect from a world-class destination resort: -Lavish Well & Being Spa, featuring a variety of spa, wellness and fitness services -Two championship-level TPC golf courses, home to the Annual PGA Tour Waste Management Phoenix Open -Six sparkling heated pools, featuring waterslides, cabanas, poolside service and a 9,000 sq. ft. white sand beach -Five award-winning restaurants and lounges, with something delectable for every taste -316,000 square feet of flexible event space, including both indoor and outdoor venues with two conference centers -Trailblazers Family Adventure Center, offering a wide range of onsite activities to keep kids happy and engaged -Personalized Concierge services, offering access to exciting activities to satisfy everyone ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Ebookers, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Fairmont Scottsdale Princess reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fairmont Scottsdale Hotel Scottsdale
- Fairmont Hotel Scottsdale
- The Fairmont Scottsdale Princess
- Scottsdale Fairmont
- Scottsdale Princess
- Fairmont Scottsdale Princess Arizona