“Beautiful”

Fairmont Scottsdale Princess
Ranked #14 of 76 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed 5 February 2011

We stayed in a private home in town but drove to look at the grounds. I used to help in the construction of hotels, so it's always nice to see what's trending. Well...you walk in the door about sunset and frankly, this place takes your breath away. There were night-lit candles, lanterns, more fireplaces and sitting areas than I could count, water features, plush outdoor furniture. The gift shop was beautiful, and I purchased three bags of goodies which were meticulously bubble-wrapped for the flight home. Next trip, I'll look into staying here or spaaaahhhing one day while the boys golf. It's as beautiful of hotel grounds as I've ever seen here or overseas.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (3,562)

Reviewed 3 February 2011

We stayed at the Fairmont the last week of January, which was a great week to be there as it was a quiet week between the car auction and the PGA tournament. Resort grounds are lovely.....fruit trees, firepits, lit candles/lanterns all over in the evenings. The main pool area was beautiful with very comfortable chaises. Our room (B2083), however, was not up to what I consider 5-star standards. While was large and clean, with current "decor" and plenty of storage, it seemed to bedue for a refurbishment. The mattress just seemed worn out....you could actually feel two "valleys" on each side where two bodies have slept repeatedly with a raised section in the middle....certainly not a "Heavenly Bed"-type sleeping experience. It looked as if at one time the bathroom had been "updated", with new faucet and counter, but the vanity was dated, the floor had about 5 cracked tiles, and the shower was very small.

Overall, the service was wonderful. Our bellman (Steve) couldn't have been friendlier and more helpful, and Tyler, who runs the morning coffee cart, was a pleasure. The girls who work at the main pool are friendly and attentive. My major complaint with the service was there was NO TURN DOWN SERVICE! I don't see how a resort can claim to be 5-star and not offer turn-down service....I was shocked. I was going to mention it at check-out but the person who helped us didn't even ask how our stay was and I forgot! Only other minor complaint is that my husband left his ipad cord in the room after we checked out and he called the hotel. The person he spoke with was very nice and said she would check into it, and it has been two days now and we haven't heard a peep back.

We ate at La Hacienda one night and it was very good. The table-side guacamole was fabulous! Had breakfast at the LV Bistro a couple of times and once for dinner and it was fine but nothing out-of-the ordinary. Service was great at both places.

Overall we had a very pleasant stay. Would I stay again? Maybe...but I would check into other options as well.

2  Thank DHiskey
FairmontScottsdale, Manager at Fairmont Scottsdale Princess, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback about your recent stay with us. I wanted to make sure that you are aware that I have read all of your comments and addressed them with our staff. We continuously strive to provide the very best service we can for our guests so I truly appreciate you sharing the details of your experience. I would love to welcome you back to our resort in the future and invite you to contact me directly to make your reservations.

Until then, thank you again for your comments and for visiting the Fairmont Scottsdale Princess.

Kind Regards,
Christophe Le Chatton, Hotel Manager

Reviewed 29 January 2011

Huge, clean rooms. Amazing bathroom. Friendly staff. Not located near many restaurants or shops. Steakhouse in hotel was fabulous. Stay in the summer and get amazing rates.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 January 2011

The hotel grounds are kept up beautiful. There is actually lemon and orange trees in the garden that you can pick!!There are two pools. One is with a water slide which is mainly for families and the other is near the lobby for adults.They have upscale furniture around the pools.. I stayed in room B 3108, and I had one of the best views. The view was of the mountains and every nite I would watch the sun set. The room is very spacious and modern. There is a spa, which looks very nice but I didn't use it. There is two five star restuarants at the hotel. One is the steak house, and the other is a mexican resturant. Both are very good!!One nice feature the hotel has, is an outdoor bar with fire pits and couchs. There is fire pits all over the resort!!! There is a small pond kids can fish in. There is tennis courts, basketball court, and a golf course. I would deifinitely stay here again. I Loved it!!!

Reviewed 24 January 2011

This hotel has some of the friendly staff I've ever experienced. We were in town for the Barrett Jackson auto auction and needed a lot of the hotel's services depending on the day. The valet service, concierge, restaurants, golf course, tennis courts, cactus garden, outdoor pub, lakes with fire on the fountains, room quality, room service, etc. are top notch.

I'd absolutely recommend this hotel to any friend of mine and I will definitely be back with my wife. Top notch.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 January 2011

We stayed here in January 2011 for a long weekend leading up to the BCS National Title Game in nearby Glendale. We arranged with the resort for a car (SUV actually) to pick us up at the airport and drive us to the resort and this went off without a hitch. We put in for something called an e-standby upgrade request when we booked our room, and for not too much more money each night we were upgraded to a ridiculously large and awesome Gold Master Suite.

The suite was huge, with a large bedroom with its own sitting area, connected to a very large living room. The suite had 2 full bathrooms, 3 flat screen TVs hanging off the walls, and 2 separate decks. It was overkill for 2 people but sure was nice; it would be great for a slightly larger group or if you wanted to entertain.

We enjoyed the Gold perks, namely having breakfast each morning only a short walk away from our room, and the honor bar there each afternoon and evening.

This is a very big property and very well laid out and manicured. We ate at both restaurants on the property, Bourbon Steak and La Hacienda. Both were pretty good in our opinion though my wife got sick the morning / day after eating at La Hacienda so we suspect she might have gotten food poisoning there but we can't be sure. I was fine all weekend but she did have some stuff at the restaurant that I didn't have. In any event we would visit the restaurant again in the future as the food is very good and hard to say what happened.

We visited the spa as well which is very nice and spacious. The massage I got there wasn't that great, though, but probably just luck of the draw with the therapist. The locker room and treatment rooms are nice. The fitness room at the spa is very good.

All in all we enjoyed our visit. We've stayed at the Four Seasons Scottsdale before and loved that and I have to say we'd have to think hard about which of the two properties we would stay at again on our next visit, they're both great.

Reviewed 22 January 2011

We stayed in a villa. Very spacious, plush bed. Pros - lots to do for kids, big pools, we were there for Santa and the tree lighting which was a blast (cookies, coco, fire engines, tons of lights -our daughter loved it), great food (the Mexican restaurant is unbelievable) great kids dining room with a play area that made dinner fun, excellent service, convenient golf. Close to kierland for shopping and more dining. Eat at north, grimaldis, and if you are a health nut -true food.

Cons - it is a huge resort, so try not to get lost, :) 15 mins or so from Scottsdale fashion square (the big mall with the best luxury shopping)-but this is not a huge inconvenience, the golf course was slightly disappointing for mu husband d/t bleacher (he preferred the boulders course by leaps and bounds);however he liked that it was convenient.

We will definitely stay again. Especially in nov as the tree lighting was super fun. Oh, and lost forgot, the steak house is out of control good. Expensive, but the wine list is one of the best in Scottsdale.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family