“Lovely Place, Super Comfy Beds, Close to Restuarants & Shopping”

SmokeTree Resort & Bungalows
Ranked #63 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Madrid, New Mexico
“Lovely Place, Super Comfy Beds, Close to Restuarants & Shopping”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2008

I am currently staying at The Smoke Tree Resort and could not be any happier. The location is wonderful, about 1 block off of N. Scottsdale Road (the main street through Scottsdale), there are quite a few restaurants within walking distance and there is an upscale grocery store in the shopping cneter next door. There is also a Trader Joe's in the same shopping center which was a wondeful surpirse as I'm a picky vegetarian. I came to Scootsdale to get surgery and chose the Smoke Tree based on the wonderful reviews I read. This is absolutely the best place to recover! The beds are beyond comfortable. They are so light and fluffy! Also the pillows (which come 4 to a bed) are equally as soft and fluffy. I am staying in a room with 2 queen beds and it is just lovely. The beds are in a seperate room in the back that has little natural natural light, unless you open the shutters. So during my recovery I have been able to close the bedroom door, close the shades and rest in the dark. There is a TV in the bedroom and another TV in the living room area up front so while I was resting my travel companion was able to sit in the living room with the sliding glass door open enjoying the fresh air and watch TV. The entire resport is on one floor so it is very friendly to those in wheelchairs, recovering from surgery, or anyone else who has trouble with stairs. The rooms face out to an open patio/courtyard with beautiful mature trees that provide shade. The setting is calm, relaxing, and just beautiful!
The staff is also very friendly. On the day of my surgery we asked that the cleaning staff come and clean the room before 10:00 when I was due to return from surgery and the room was pristine upon our return and we had in fact returned earlier than we expected to! When my travel companion left we called up to the front office to ask if we could print her boarding pass for her flight using their printer. They were kind enough to get the information from us, print out the boarding pass and bring it to our room within 5 minutes of our phone call!
The rooms are very clean, I've stayed in a lot of hotels (as I frequently travel on business) where you don't even want to touch the carpet with your bare feet, here the carpet looks clean and new. In fact, EVERYTHING in the rooms looks new! A pet peeve of mine is when hotels use those comforters that you know they hardly ever wash, but they don't use those nasty things here, the bedding is far nicer than anything I own! Each room also has a mini-fridge, microwave, and coffeemaker all at a little wet bar so you have an extra sink that is not in the bathroom.
You can tell that a lot of thought and care has been put into The Smoke Tree Resort, it really shows. The staff is very friendly and helpful, the rooms are nice, the bathroom is a little small but not at all bad. You can get anything you need, food, clothes, groceries all within a few blocks and yet this place feels tucked away from the hustle and bustle of the main roads sinc ethe rooms are al in the back. Downtown Scottsdale is maybe 10 minutes south of here and the PHX is only 20-30 minutes away. As of right now the hotel restuarant is stil under construction but as I mentioned already you can walk to several different places to eat and if you want to drive a little ways the dinning options are endless. I compared the prices her with other hotels nearby and this place has excellent prices. There were some places that were less expensive but nowhere near as nice.

• Liked — Above all else, the beds were excellent! Also the staff, location, and property are also wonderful!
  • Disliked — No complaints
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank greyhoundgrrrl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Portland, OR
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2008

I'm a frequent visitor to Scottsdale on business and have stayed in a number of hotels (aka 'resorts') in the area. I've stopped looking for the best value because I've found it at the Smoke Tree. The bungalow style rooms are a welcome change from other venues and are well distributed across the spacious grounds. You often feel like you have the whole place to yourself. The mature landscaping is wonderful and the staff always make me feel welcome and are willing to help in anyway they can.

Being a business traveler, the Smoke Tree offers a number of benefits: quiet and well appointed rooms: microwave, fridge, flat-screen tv and Wi-Fi from anywhere on the property. I can sit on my patio with my first cup and work through emails while reading the complementary newspaper. There is also a full-service upscale grocery store within 100 yards which provides prepared meals and anything else I might require.

I wholeheartedly recommend the Smoke Tree for business, a quick get-away or any other reason you care to invent.

• Liked — The atmosphere and helpful staff.
  • Disliked — I can't think of anything I didn't like.
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
3 Thank Mung00Jerry
Lake Oswego, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2008

Over the last year I have become a frequent business traveller to Scottsdale. The Smoke Tree Resort has become my home away from home.

Great Staff, remodeled rooms and a great location are just the start. The entire staff always goes out of their way to help their guests and they have all the amenities you might need. The Wireless Network works much better than many chain hotels, in fact I am writing this review from there right now!!!

I look forward to every visit to the Smoke Tree Resort

• Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank Osweg0
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2008

I had the opportunity to stay at the Smoke Tree Resort this last weekend to celebrate a friend's birthday. Although I have lived in Scottsdale for many, many years, I had never been to the Smoke Tree Resort and, boy am I sorry I waited so long. The place is fabulous! My fried having the birthday, stayed in the very large "Presidential Suite"... it had two bedrooms, a full kitchen, a formal dining area, a den, a large Great Room, a pool table room and a very large patio. There were about 35 guests at the party and the suite held everyone comfortably. I stayed in one of the nearby King Bungalows (#8) and it was great. Very, very clean and well appointed. The Resort doesn't have a restaurant, but that is not a problem at all as you can easily get to the many restaurants in Scottsdale. Several good ones are within easy walking distance. The property is very nice.... we spent a good amount of time on the patio just watching the stars... totally unaware that you were in the heart of Scottsdale. I wouldn't really recommend this resort for people with little kids as the pool is smaller than your typical "mega resort" (think more the size you would find in an average home). I think it is really better suited to adults who just want a beautiful and relaxing resort. Try the Smoke Tree... believe me, you won't be disappointed!

• Liked — Well maintained, clean rooms
  • Disliked — Nothing... everything was GREAT!
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends
2 Thank latecheckin
Baltimore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2008

We booked three rooms at Smoke Tree for two single night stays before and after a Grand Circle tour. All 6 of us were positively tickled by how nice our rooms at Smoke Tree were! For just $95/night, we had what were, essentially, apartments, with full living rooms, dining room areas with nice tables and chairs, full size coffee makers, fridges, and microwaves, and in one, a HUGE walk-in closet. Furnishings were lovely, obviously new. All rooms had a very large flat screen TV, and some had 2 TVs. And the beds were extremely comfortable with great linens.

While there is no restaurant yet, the resort is right next door to a gourmet grocery store, with fantastic prepared foods and a big selection of wines and beer. There is also a Trader Joe's and a very decent Mexican restaurant.

The grounds are very nicely done and it's quiet and private, even though located on what appears to be a major thoroughfare.

And the folks who own and run the place are friendly and helpful. We all wished that we were staying at Smoke Tree longer and all commented that it would be a great place to visit again.

In all, Smoke Tree was a great find and a very lovely surprise (we're all from Baltimore, and for rooms like those we had at Smoke Tree, we'd expect to pay $300/night).

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing -- it was a great place for a great price
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with friends
2 Thank MB_Baltimore
Chapel Hill, NC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2008

We stayed at the Smoke Tree resort on our last day of a trip to Sedona and the Grand Canyon before heading back home via the Phoenix airport. The property is undergoing construction and the promised restaurant is not yet complete, so it was a little off-putting at first but the room is wonderful. It's an older property but beautifully renovated and very quiet. The pool is small and not really useful for swimming, but it's pretty. Here was my problem: Wireless internet was advertised, and because we had been gone a week I had a great deal of work to catch up on. We could not get wireless in the room, and when I called the front desk I was told "Gee, I don't know what to tell you. My husband has gone out." We went to bed and at 6 am I called the front desk to see if I could use the wireless in the office because I absolutely had to have a contract in by 10 am Eastern time, but I was told no, I had to instead go around the corner to the market and use their wireless. When I checked out the woman I had spoken to the evening before was there and I tried to communicate to her that if you advertise wireless and people depend on that for business, they really need to offer it in one form or another. She just shrugged her shoulders. I requested a concession of some kind to compensate me for having to get up at 6 am and drive to a wireless point and she became irritated and said that the rates are low anyway, which wasn't really my point. I generally get along well with everyone, but I found the attitude at this place to be terrible and would not recommend it for that reason.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
3 Thank Lynn-in-Chapel-Hill
STmanager, Manager On Duty at SmokeTree Resort & Bungalows, responded to this review, 21 September 2009
The free wireless signal was having an issue
during this guests stay and their computer
could not find any of the three contact points on the Resort. We regret that there was this problem and have taken steps to fix the issue.
Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2008

I have been staying at Smoke Tree Resort in Scottsdale - actually in Paradise Valley - for about 30 years and have seen it grow by leaps and bounds!! The newly remodeled rooms and landscaping are wonderful with a very attentive staff. A.J.'s Fine Foods is a short walk away and the new REM restaurant will open during the summer of 2008. I can't imagine a better place to stay. Many of us who have been going to Smoke Tree for years and have become good friends - and newcomers are always welcome. We usually meet by the pool in the evening for a glass of wine and review the days activities. All guests at the Resort are invited to our Pool Parties - a great way to meet new people!! Many baseball fans come out in March for Spring Training. The Williams Family take great pride in their resort and are always available to answer questions and give suggestions for activities!! I highly recommend a week or so at Smoke Tree!

• Stayed March 2008, travelled solo