“Overall a great hotel”

Ranked #16 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Plano, Texas
“Overall a great hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2011

Stayed for two nights on a business trip. Overall, I would definitely recommend this hotel. If you are here for leisure I think the hotel would be an excellent choice due to the grounds, the multiple trails,and the pool area. For business, the conference facilities are pretty good, but rooms are far from the conference space.

The good:
Very large rooms
Large patio/balcony
Good work desk area
Better than average toiletries
Huge pools - great pool area! Waterslide for the kids, nice poolside beverage and snack bar.
Grounds are gorgeous and wonderful views
Very friendly staff
Many onsite facilities- ice cream parlor, espresso bar, shopping, etc.

The bad:
Rooms could use a little updating
Very spread out- it is a hike from most rooms to the pool
Not as convenient as other hotels to downtown Scottsdale
Charge for internet on the high side
Air conditioner is loud and takes some time to cool down the room
Ok beds, not the best

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
PhoenicianManager, Public Relations Manager at The Phoenician, Scottsdale, responded to this review, 21 June 2011
We appreciate your time in sharing your comments. It's always important to hear from the business traveler, as well as our leisure guests. This summer, many of our rooms will indeed receive an upgrade, as all suites in the main building and casitas will be renovated. In an effort to separate the public areas and guestrooms from our meeting/event space, the resort has been designed so that each can operate without intruding on the other. We're pleased to learn that our service was to your liking. It is the cornerstone of our guest experience. While we do offer a variety of dining, shopping and recreational options, we do appreciate the interest to venture beyond our grounds. Downtown Scottsdale -- featuring Arizona's largest outdoor mall -- is literally minutes away. We hope you had a chance during some downtime to enjoy our pools yourself, or perhaps take a walk through the Cactus Garden or across the 250-acre resort. Please do join us again -- for business and for leisure.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (529)
usa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2011

My teenage daughter and I stayed at the Phoenician for a week and had a fabulous time. The hotel itself is quite beautiful without being flashy. Our room was enormous and beautifully furnished with an equally enormous bathroom and very comfortable beds--everything was first rate. The pools are fabulous and even though it was Easter week and the pool was very crowded, the pool staff made sure that you had chaises where you wanted them. The staff at the Mother of Pearl pool (which stays remarkably cool even in 95 degree heat!) was amazing. They practically turned the page of my book as I was reading. Our pitcher of water, brought over to us as we arrived at the pool was refilled over and over. I left my book at the pool one day and an attendant called my room to see if it was mine as she noticed the book on my chair during the day. She held it for me and brought to me the next day. The restaurant staff was also excellent and also couldn't do enough for us. My daughter became ill one evening and the staff couldn't do enough for us and even called to check that she was doing better. The restaurant offered soup and crackers, the housekeeping brought us a brand new heating pad and the front desk asked if we needed anyone to run to the pharmacy for us. The service was extra special because the staff made it seem as if they were happiest serving 'you' and it was truly their pleasure to keep you happy. I can't wait to come back with the rest of our family to enjoy this wonderful resort again. Any type of group would be happy here--we saw large family reunions, seniors, singles, families with young children and teenagers and all were happy. I didn't hear anyone complaining about anything at all--very happy group of workers and guests. My only regret is that we didn't use the spa which looked wonderful too.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Thank you for sharing your resort experience! As a AAA Five Diamond property, The Phoenician is dedicated to maintaining a strong service culture. Our goal is to make each guest feel special -- that they belong. During your next stay, a visit to the Forbes Four Star Centre for Well-Being is definitely in order. The facility recently underwent approximately $250,000 in renovations. Be sure to check out the Meditation Atrium, where complimentary guided classes are offered daily. We look forward to welcoming you back with your entire family!
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2011

Enjoyed our room and enjoyed the property. Settled account in full on check out. Received email when we got home that added two extra charges to my Visa that I did not incur. I have left two messages with billing department, I have sent three faxes and two emails. No one has returned my calls. Very dissappointed.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2011

This is not a hotel I would normally stay at, since I like econo hotels, but, hey I was "forced" to stay here for business. This is an upscale hotel and it doesn't disappoint. Lots of nice little trails on the property (through the Cactus Garden, for example) and is a short walk to local trails up Camelback Mountain. Beautiful view of the mountain right outside my room. It was a good experience, but not a hotel I would pay for out of my own pocket.

Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
Windsor UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2011

My first impression wasn't so great but after a few hours I realised that the service at the hotel makes up for the very slightly dated rooms. That said, the rooms were big and bathrooms excellent. The dining in Il Terrazzo was excellent... Poolside snacks good too. The spa was good, not like a European spa but ok.
I didn't golf but colleagues who did raved about the course.

• Stayed June 2011
Houston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

I visited The Phoenician in May 2011 traveling by myself. I had always heard about the legendary Phoenician and was anxious to stay there. The grounds are incredible and have all the beauty that a mature garden offers. I had the distinct impression I was traveling back in time to the 60s-70s as I drove up the road to the hotel. But that was OK. The exterior of the hotel buildings themselves are a little disappointing. Lobby is nice-- rooms not so nice. I can't imagine that I could have gotten a worse located room. No view at all. But I booked at the last minute-- what do you expect. The room smelled musty which is odd considering this is the desert-- a smell more associated with wet climates. The bed was heavenly which is exactly what I needed. Shower incredible. Bath large but dated. The shampoo, bath wash etc were very nice. I loved the idea of the outdoor terrace bar but the food, service and ambiance were less than wonderful. A lot of the problem were the kids ( which is not the responsibility of the hotel) but it is after all a bar. And where I come from, children aren't allowed in bars by law. And certainly not allowed to run, play and scream. The food was bar grub and expensive and wholly underwhelming. The J&G steakhouse was wonderful. And one of the reasons I stayed there. Service and food quality were on par with what I get in New York and San Francisco. The next morning the breakfast was just plain odd. There are 2 locations for breakfast that I could find-- one that is a ice cream shop and the other on the first floor. There were many very unhappy people at the restaurant downstairs-- Il Terrasse? may be I don't recall the name. But you were greated at 9 in the morning with "do you have a reservation?" Duh... no... is that what it takes to get some coffee? There were no fewer than 4 groups who were unhappy when I get there-- unhappy due to seating location, time taken to seat and selection on the menu. The restaurant was empty pretty much and it took 15 minutes to get a table. Once you got in, no one explained the menu or how it worked. There was some sort of convoluted buffet vs brunch that I never figured out. I just told the wait staff what I wanted to eat and let them point out which way to go. There were omlet makers ( good) who had only 3 pans ( bad) with which to cook. A gigantic hotel that offers custom omelets while you wait has only 3 omelet pans? And the chefs are struggling to clean them in front of you while you wait. Pools were beautiful. I could have lived there. Lots of choices and since I swim early or late I missed any kid traffic. The business center was a terrific asset to have-- print your boarding pass etc. I also loved the underground self park. It was very convenient. I don't know if I would return since there are so many 5 star choices in Scottsdale. But overall, I was glad I went and will seek out other hotels in this chain for the beds alone.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

We had a family gathering for Mom's birthday and the Phoenician is a very nice and easy place to gather. We had 15 people, ate meals together, played some tennis, lots of pool time. The staff is friendly and attentive, great food, beautiful grounds.

This place isn't cheap but its full service and lots of options for broad range of ages. The water slide was a huge hit for the kids. Gym is well equipt, tennis courts are great, golf course looked good (we didn't play).

Room Tip: get a room facing the pool! self park.