“Nice property but room view was awful”

The Phoenician, Scottsdale
Ranked #19 of 76 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed 10 August 2011

Service and the grounds were beautiful. The only thing that knocks this property down was the AWFUL view from the room... Which was the roof of the lower building next to us and the room windows across the way. For a property as luxurious and well-known as The Phoenician, I definitely expected more. With so many great hotels in Scottsdale, I would look for another property that can give you everything.

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank DLBroyles
Write a ReviewReviews (2,231)

Reviewed 9 August 2011

Top grade facility, good food options, top staff. Next to Camelback mountain for hikers. I enjoy the view over the pool compared to the mountainview, but again top quality facilities and staff.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 August 2011

My wife, my 8 year old son and I stayed at the hotel for 8 nights whilst we attended a wedding in Scottsdale. The hotel is superbly appointed - the grounds and pools are excellent. We ate in the restaurant every morning and breakfast was great both in terms of choice and quality. We had several dinners at the hotel also and all were excellent. Hotel staff were pleasant and helpful except for some of the concierge team. Executive/Towncars (ones working with the hotel/concierge staff) will cost you between $13 and $20 for a ride to Scottsdale town centre, whereas normal cabs costs anywhere between $5 and $7. If you're making the odd trip in and out of town its not a big deal, but if you're in and out regularly it gets expensive. Hertz have a car rental office in the hotel - they have a good selection of cars but book online before you travel - its a lot cheaper.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 August 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Phoenician for six nights from June 3rd. It was our second visit and I am sure it will not be our last, the place is truely top quality.
A couple of issues, (not regarded as a problem), at check-in were the result of the reservations manager having put a reserve on a specific room that I had requested, it was not ready when we arrived although a similar room was, the system would not let the front desk deviate from our assigned room until a manager sanctioned it. I appreciate that usually you get what rooms are available at the time of check-in so this was beyond what I expected and I am extremely grateful to Jeffrey Kern for his help in fulfilling my request.
The rooms, grounds, pools and everything else at the Phoenician are fabulous, I would urge anyone to try it for themselves. I believe that all the rooms are of a similar standard and the upgrades are purely down to the outlook/view from the room, we overlooked the pool complex which, in my opinion, was worth the extra cost.
The Terrace bar has a phenominal selection of Vodka's and the drink prices are in keeping with the surroundings, the food available on the terrace is very good and fairly priced. We ate in the top floor Steakhouse on one night but would not recommend it as the choices, especially the starter selection, are a bit limited and the overall standard of the meal was not what we expected. The "Il Terrazzo" restaurant was very good, both food quality and value, we ate Dinner there on two occasions as well as the Sunday Brunch, (which is very good indeed).
There are plenty of dining options, (and places to spend an evening), close by. The resort provides a Limo service should you require it, we used the service to go to one of the restaurants at the fashion square mall and it was only $13.00. The Yard house is good fun, I would also recommend Wildfish and Culinary Drop-out, (for casual dining), there are any number of restaurants to choose from, for good Mexican the "OLD Town Tortilla Factory" is the place to go.
My only real gripe with Phoenician is the fact they have removed the ice machines from each of the floors, I appreciate the fact that this is small issue and it should not deviate from the fact that the Resort is absolutely superb, it is just something I don't think they needed to do and is sometimes an inconvenience to wait for a bucket of Ice to be delivered by room-service.
I would highly recommend this Resort to anyone considering a stay in Scottsdale/Phoenix, my wife and I have stayed at several of the other high end Resorts in the area, and we haven't had a bad one yet, but the Phoenician really is that good,
I have given the value rating a 4* as the Resort website can sometimes be expensive, be aware of occasional offers and, regardless of the "best rate guarantee", check other websites
JWK

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2011

This is nice hotel but I'm not sure it worth 5 diamonds rating. The 5 diamonds rating hotel are all superb. The restaurants were good except the steak house in the hotel was not my favorite, Ruth Chirs"s was better.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank AlohaGiselle
Reviewed 3 August 2011

Despite temperatures over 104F daily, our July visit was spectacular. Customer service was perfect with some special requests and changes to our reservation made quite easily. The setting is stupendous. The seven pools were essential during such a hot visit and boy were they delightful. Our favorite was standing in the pool up to our armpits as we drank lava flows from the nearby bar. What could be better? We sampled 2 restaurants and enjoyed both. The five course tasting menu with wine pairings at the steak house was well done without too much food or drink but subtle flavors throughout. The pasta dishes at the Italian restaurant were also perfect. Although some reviewers have complained about the food prices, we found them quite consistent with hotels of this quality.

Room Tip: We particularly enjoyed a second floor casita with a balcony and view of the pools and golf course.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 July 2011

We recently stayed at the Phoenician while visiting our son who lives in Scottsdale. We live in Tucson and we wanted to try this resort. We were " upgraded" to a casita. We decided to go with that because there was parking at the casitas. Otherwise valet parking was $29.95 a night although there was plenty of free parking available on the periphery of the property. The casita was nothing special. Just a standard looking room set away from the hotel. It was clean and comfortable but the carpet was tired looking and the HVAC was unacceptably noisy. Since we were not in the hotel proper, it's hard to comment on the "vibe" of the place. The poolside service was attentive and we kept supplied with ice water on a very hot July day. All in all not a bad experience just nothiing special.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple