“Close to perfect” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #17 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Close to perfect”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for the first time in almost 20 years and while the resort is starting to show some age it was still truly wonderful.

It all starts at the front door with the valets and bell men taking your bags and car swiftly, whisking you in and the warm faces of the front desk staff. Not quite St. Regis warm, but close.

We stayed in a casita (building B - try to get a Casita on the inner circle) instead of the hotel proper, and with all of the pool construction taking place it was a bit of a circuitous walk to get to the hotel proper, but the staff graciously picked us up in golf carts as we needed. It was an easy walk to the gym and golf club though and to the pools, had they not been under construction.

The restaurants were very good, we ate a lot of catered meals in the convention but ate in the steak house for dinner one night - steak was fabulous, only gripe was the wine list, a little limited and overpriced.

If you are a golfer, as I am, you will be a little disappointed in the courses. They were very nice and well maintained (Canyons is the best of the 3) but they are short and designed to be resort courses - they are just not Estancia or Troon North. But, as a family resort they are perfect.

The gym was excellent, great selection of machines, free weights and plenty of cardio machines - never had a problem getting what I wanted. Large studio for classes/stretching that I did not use but others did.

Overall, the service was top notch and the facilities were excellent. Luxurious towels, quality items and service make this a perfect place for a romantic retreat, conference center and when the pools are done (they have like 5 of them so it's not like there wasn't plenty of pool available) frankly, I can't think of a better family spot in AZ.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
PhoenicianManager, Public Relations Manager at The Phoenician, Scottsdale, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Wow, thank you so much for the wonderful review – we are flattered! We are delighted that you enjoyed your recent experience at The Phoenician, and we hope to see you again in the near future!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (523)
Washington DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights following a trip to the Grand Canyon. I am Gold, and they upgraded me (I had booked a standard casita) at checkin to a 'lagoon view.' However, this casita seemed like a stepcousin to the casitas facing the pool - it was remote, dark, and also overlooked construction. I went back to the front desk, and the check-in agent was great in finding me a similar room in a better location. I was very satisfied with the service in general, from the bartender (Sean) at the Camel Lounge to the servers at Relish Bistro. I thought the room furnishings were a bit dated, and couldn't believe they still had the old-fashioned thermometers (round, with a dial) in the rooms.

One disappointment (first world problems, but hey I'm paying an astronomical resort fee) is that I didn't get any turn-down service the first night, and the second night, someone came by at 10:00 p.m., which in my opinion is way too late. Perhaps it was because I was in a casita and not in the main hotel, but they need to step that up.

One great thing, if you are a fitness buff, you can walk to Camelback and hike there and back while everyone else needs to find street parking. Very convenient.

Was it the best hotel experience I've ever had? no. It was perfectly servicable, which isn't the best for a Luxury Collection. If I had gone in peak season, and paid a lot more, I would have been much more disappointed. But, the weather was good, I slept well, I ate and drank well, and I would recommend it to others.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
PhoenicianManager, Manager at The Phoenician, Scottsdale, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback. I am happy the front desk could find a room to your liking so you could enjoy the views and relax. We pride ourselves on delivering AAA Five Diamond service, and we are disappointed that we missed the mark during turndown. We can assure you that the service you received is not indicative of our standards, and we will review your comments with our housekeeping managers. I do hope you will consider staying with us again in the future.
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

Was sorely dissapointed in this hotel. This might be a good hotel for those that wish they were still living in the 90's. I was shocked that a so called luxury hotel was so outdated in both amenities and decor. First of all, they still actually charge for wi-fi, by the day, no less. I have been to 5 star hotels in other cities that have not only provided free wi-fi, they also had an iMac in the room for my personal use. The gym was also very difficult to find and far away...I got a work out in before I even arrived. Finally, and what may be my biggest pet peave in hotel rooms these days is the fact that they only have sweet and low stocked for the coffee. Seriously?!?! I didn't know they still made that stuff. Will not return.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank ATLien83
PhoenicianManager, Public Relations Manager at The Phoenician, Scottsdale, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We regret that your recent stay was not to your liking. During the last five-plus years, The Phoenician has undergone more than $100 million in renovations and enhancements. Continually redesigning and contemporizing the luxury experience to meet the needs of our guests is of the utmost priority. As a convenience to our patrons, The Phoenician has packaged many of its most popular services, such as Wi-Fi and 24-hour fitness center access, into its resort charge. This eliminates a number of daily, individual fees. Complimentary transportation to and from the fitness center is also available from our valet staff. Upon request, a variety of coffee sweeteners is provided in the guestrooms. Complimentary coffee to-go, with all the accoutrements, is also available every morning starting at 6:30 a.m. at our restaurant, Il Terrazzo. We hope you will visit us again so that we may provide you with the personalized, AAA Five Diamond experience for which we are known.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

Huge room, huge bathroom both well appointed. The resort was almost full but it didn't feel overcrowded. Pool and tennis facilities were very good too. We ate and drank at various places within the resort and all were great.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 74pj
Thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay. It’s great to hear that you enjoyed the facilities, food and accommodations! We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.
Whitby, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

This was our second visit to “The Phoenician”. You always worry if it will be as good as the first time. It did not disappoint The attention to service is still excellent. The grounds, golf course and hotel are first rate. We dined off the resort but we did use the service to and from the local restaurants which was great. Our breakfasts and lunches onsite were very good. The bar in the main dining room is a must for the view and service. The only issue was the rebuild of the pool area (very noise) but to be fair it's not something that would be normally happening.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your recent review. We are happy to hear that your second visit to The Phoenician was as wonderful as the first – and that you enjoyed the amenities, grounds and Five-Diamond service! We do apologize for any inconvenience experienced as a result of the pool construction; however, we are pleased to report that our Oasis Pool Complex renovation is scheduled for completion in February. We hope to welcome you back in the near future!
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

We are Starwood gold members and the 4 night experience has been less than 5 star to say the least. The checkin was not professional. Our bidet is rusted and un useable. There are jack hammers and construction poolside. Our privacy tag was hanging on our door until 12:30. From 12:30-3 when the tag was off, no one cleaned our room and at 2:30 a message was left that if we wanted the room cleaned, we should call housekeeping due to the privacy tag on the door.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank heatherswan
PhoenicianManager, Public Relations Manager at The Phoenician, Scottsdale, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments. We regret that your stay was not indicative of our AAA Five Diamond standards. The Phoenician prides itself on providing the highest quality service, marked by great attention to detail. Unfortunately, in order to do so, renovation and construction is at times required. Please know that all efforts are made to ensure the least disruption to our guests. Training is also of great importance and focus, as all associates participate in ongoing instruction from the moment they are hired and throughout their careers. Your front desk and housekeeping concerns have been shared with management so that they may be addressed immediately. We hope you will visit us again so that we may provide you with the luxurious, memorable guest experience for which The Phoenician is known.
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

We recently spent 4 nights at The Phoenician while my husband was on a conference.

The stand out of our time spent there was the calibre of the service which we received. This was across the board and included the concierge (who were just so incredibly friendly, helpful and informative), the dining staff in both the restaurant and the conference dining area (who were so obliging in assisting with foods to accommodate my food allergies),the maintenance guy and others too. I needed to package some items which we bought and they were happy to give us packing tape and boxes which they had. No ask was too big.

Whilst we were there we had delicious Mexican Wedding Cakes and when we got home I emailed the hotel asking if it were possible to get the recipe and it arrived in my inbox within the hour!! So thumbs up for excellent service :)

The pool area is lovely with plenty of shade if required, which is a pleasure. The room was very nice and spacious but nothing ooh aah. I guess one could say it is a typical Sheraton room of it's time - not suggesting at all that it needs renovating. It was in very good nick and I enjoyed the balcony with lounger.

The food in the restaurant was very nice. We ordered 6 meals all up there and they were all great. The food served at the conference was a bit disappointing. Certainly nothing to rave about. It would have been nice to be able to get toast at breakfast. Perhaps this has to do with the choices of the conference organisers.Not sure.

All up a great stay at the Phoenician and I can recommend it

Room Tip: Our room had a balcony which faced the mountain. It was nice to look out on it and we got the aftern...